Hello, i've recently started playing guitar and I bought an Ibanez Gio. For the first time i've changed my strings but I noticed something different after getting the new strings in and all tuned up. The tailpiece has been lifted quite high or higher than normal after I have tuned it. The new strings I bought are heavier than my old ones, would that be the cause of it lifting higher than normal or am I just doing something wrong?

Thanks.
I'm sorry but this forum isn't suitable for questions relating guitar even though you are a newbie and this is the Newbie forum.

Try the guitar related forums.
I put a dollar in a change machine. Nothing changed.
Quote by Necrolust
I'm sorry but this forum isn't suitable for questions relating guitar even though you are a newbie and this is the Newbie forum.

Try the guitar related forums.
Very nicely worded. You stated the fact quite well. But remember this is not just a newbie. It's a BRAND-Newbie. Let's be a bit more helpful while we teach him him/her the way things are organized here. Newbies need to feel free to ask Questions of any kind here. We need to show them how to figure out where to place their threads. The Mods can move the thread to the appropriate forum for someone so new. They won't mind a bit about the effort if something is learned in the process.

Zoozle,

The Newbie forum is intended for questions about procedure. "Where do I put a thread about XXXX. " "I can't log off. Why?" Those sorts of things. But anyone should feel free to put their first couple of posts in here if they're concerned about making mistakes. It's much better to make mistakes here rather than in the other forums.

You didn't specify if it was Electric or Acoustic, so I can't direct you to either forum. It probably goes in one of them. This question is a gray area. It doesn't clearly fit in any particular one of the guitar forums. It's not really Gear. That's mostly about pedals and amps. Customizing is about wiring and modifications to Guitars and Gear. There are a lot of people who hang out there that are experienced with problems like this, so it might even fit there.

The main thing that will help you, is to look around a bit. See what kind of threads are in those forums. Use the search function. Explore. You might find the information you need on an existing thread. You might not even need to start a thread of your own.

Please go back and read the rules in the stickies at the top of this and any forum you might post in. Some of them are a long read, but it's worth the time to learn them, even it's just a little at a time. Learning how to use UG is worth the effort. It will prevent you from putting things in the wrong place or making procedural mistakes that can get you warned or banned.

Even if you've been around a long time, it's still okay to ask questions about how to navigate UG in this forum. And when you get the hang of it, stop in and help the newbies. Remember, someone took the time to help you. Find a few minutes to help here and there when you have a few months experience. And remember how you feel right now, when UG seems confusing. You can make them feel welcome, rather than intimidated by the confusion.

Good luck,
SYK
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Quote by Zoozle
. The tailpiece has been lifted quite high or higher than normal after I have tuned it. The new strings I bought are heavier than my old ones, would that be the cause of it lifting higher than normal or am I just doing something wrong?

Thanks.

the springs in the (back) trem cavity need to be tightened.

there are two screws in there that should help. add an extra spring, if that doesnt do the job.

yes, the heavier strings are pulling harder.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
DUDE THIS HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH ANYTHING BUT YOU ROCK HARDCORE!!! We both have the same guitar!
I hate my sig