Page 1 of 2
i am looking for a good blues practice amp under 150 usd. i was looking at the epiphone valve junior. if u could give me some good suggestions for a blues prac amp that would be good

thank you!
VJ would be great for you. nice vintage bassy voicing. i like it a lot.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
I agree. I have one and it's lovely for blues and classic rock. And it isn't really expensive, either. Only thing is, if you want overdrive but wouldn't be able to turn it up very loud, you might need a pedal of some kind.
Or save 50$ more and get a crate palomino 5w
"Good and evil lay side by side as electric love penetrates the sky"
The valve junior is nice. Another more american voiced option would be the new fender champ. Those would be the 2 best options for you.
Muddy Waters Tele - Signed by the members of Canned Heat
PRS Soapbar SE - Signed by Michael Angelo Batio
H&K Statesman Quad EL-84
Dunlop Wah (modded to JH specs)
the epi valve is the nicest blues amp ever =]] hook that up with a bad monkey pedal look out hot hot hot blues!!

Originally Posted by .smudged.
cook with semen everybody's doing it

Retards
Attempting
Poetry

Quote by PaintOurSilence
If you want to get really sick go to a nearby subway station and lick the walls or maybe a homeless man or two .
A used fender pro junior might fit your budget, if you could find it.

The fender champ is a better bet for blues (IMO) than the epi, but i do love fender amps.

The crate V8 used is also a fantastic choice.
Fender MIM Stratocaster
Ibanez TS-9 Tube Screamer
Fulltone OCD
Dallas-Arbiter Wah Baby
Home-Built Germanium Fuzz Face
MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay
2 Fender Blues Juniors
i hated the fender champion. the 6 inch speaker was pathetic. it may aswell have been tinfoil, it sounded so weedy. this of course is only my opinion. but yes.. if you like a lot of bass end like i do, a 6 inch speaker is probably not for you
Valve Junior but only an 8" speaker. Crate Palamino (10" combo.) Peavey Valveking Royal 8 but the 8" speaker might be a drag. They all sound good for blues but the Crate has a master volume and bigger speaker (more punch/low end.)
Quote by Storm_Bringer_
i hated the fender champion. the 6 inch speaker was pathetic. it may aswell have been tinfoil, it sounded so weedy. this of course is only my opinion. but yes.. if you like a lot of bass end like i do, a 6 inch speaker is probably not for you

dude. you got good ears man. i hated the fender champion cuz the 6 inch speaker too. its all boxy.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
The only way I would like the Champion is running an extension cab. I bet it sounds pretty good with a 10 or 12.
^im not sure, but the tone seemed decent cranked. (yes, i cranked it at GC) but heck yes it needs an extension cab.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
I like the champ cause you can get the volume all the way up so easily and it sounds good and with od, and then with a cab it would sound really nice. So if you could get a champ 600 for 150 that might be your best bet.
You could probably get hold of a used Fender Pro Junior in that price range.

Nice amps IMO.
High Cardinal of Zeppelinism PM TheHeartbreaker to join and
"Co-Founder (and Yoda) of the Star Wars Universe. PM me or SethMegadefan to join.

' " The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death"...'-p.269-Deathly Hallows
^valve jr is a pretty bassy amp... match it with a cab with trebly speakers like some Jensens.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
I agree with epi valve junior or palomino. I'd go with the VJ, though. If you play more than just blues and classic rock, the palo might be a better choice, since it is quite versatile, but if you are all about the blues and a little classic rock, then definitely go with the VJ.
Quote by screamingfool34
people here are idiot.
Quote by Mr_H_MASTER
the only good wahs out there are Slashs, Zacks, and Dimebags.
Quote by evan1234567
im to tired and confused to comprehend what you said.
i hated the fender champion.

Champ and Champion are not the same amp. Champion is a newer amp, solid state I think, and yeah the 6" speaker sucks. The only amp I've ever played with smaller than an 8" speaker that sounded decent was the old original 70's Pignose.

The Champ is a 6 watt all tube amp with an 8" speaker, my favorite practice amp ever. I got mine in the early '90s and had to replace speaker and tubes, plus a minor solder repair and it sounds great, especially for blues. Crank it up to 10 and still won't wake the neighbors. I'm getting parts together to build a 2x10" cabinet for it, I'm pretty sure that should sound good, my 1x12" cabinet sounds great with it. It still sounds good with the 8" I cannibalized out of a dead Gorilla amp, I've loved it since about 5 seconds after I first plugged in a guitar and hit 3 or 4 notes. Eric Clapton used an earlier one on Layla, from what I've read, and freaked everyone out. All the guitar players were lugging 50 and 100 watt Marshall stacks into the studio, Clapton walked in to record Layla with a Strat and a Champ. (Rhino used a pair of 200 watt Marshalls to record "Captain Beyond", the first actual supergroup's self named debut album. He and Lee Dorman from Iron Butterfly, Rod Evans from Deep Purple and Bobby Caldwell, Johnny Winter's drummer.)

If you can find one, it's a top notch practice amp. I'd go for a Princeton/Princeton Reverb too, 10" speaker and all tube, 12-15 watts and sounds better than the Champ. I haven't played the valve junior, but if it's an all tube amp it should sound good, if the speaker is a decent one. But I'm biased, I like straight all tube amps head and shoulders above the rest.
Hmmm...I wonder what this button does...
I cranked a Champ at GC too! I couldn't barely hear it, over the rest of the store and my drooling over the tele I was playing!
FOR AWESOME HANDWOUND PICKUPS, CONTACT CorduroyEW
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123
Good for you. Have a cookie.

But really... there's no cookie. And if there was, you wouldn't get one.
I have also cranked a VJ, seeing as I own one! I will give my opinion.

The VJ, nice cranked, but not fully cranked. Volume on full, it is way too much gain to handle. I find it gets bassier with volume also, but it is probably the 3 6 inch woofers over powering the 3 2 inch tweeters I'm running it through. Set around the middle, depending on the pickups, is pure tonal heaven. Bell like tones, sustaining feed back, then turn the guitar volume up slightly and play about medium-regular picking, and feel that bluesy overdrive. Then, dig in hard, and I've got enough distortion for anything I'd play. Anyways, the VJ has enough for what you need, and then some.
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123

Bottom line, for $150, you're not going to do better than the Epi VJ unless you really scour the used/vintage market. I have a little Harmony H303a that I spent less than that on. It sounds great thru it's 6" Jensen speaker! For a practice amp, I wouldn't let something like that scare you off. There's still some cheap vintage stuff out there -better than these new amps, IMHO- but you gotta look.

But anyway, if I ever saw a Pro Jr for $150, I'd own one. Ditto for a vintage Champ, which generally sells in the $300 range or better.

And Pete, I wanna move you where you live if you think these amps are in his price range:

Quote by Paleo Pete
I'd go for a Princeton/Princeton Reverb too, 10" speaker and all tube, 12-15 watts and sounds better than the Champ. I haven't played the valve junior, but if it's an all tube amp it should sound good, if the speaker is a decent one.

Those are absolutely awesome amps, and are priced accordingly. I"ve seen 'em at $800 and higher. I'd love one. Maybe as a divorce present I'll get myself one.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
do u have 2 wait for the vj to warm up, like a regular tube amp, or should you just start playing
Yeah, warm it up.

What I do is turn it on with the volume all the way down, and set up my pedals and guitar. By the time I have everything plugged in (a minute or two), it's ready to rock.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
i let it sit with the volume all the way down for about 30seconds before i start playing.
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
I let it sit, with the volume all the way down. It makes crackles and fizzes(maybe I broke it? :confused But, when it stops crackling, it means it's fully warmed up. If I start playing before it's done with all the crackly noises, it doesn't sound as good, no matter how long I play on it.
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123

Ive owned the Champion 600 for around 5 months, and I must agree with comments about the speaker. It farts at higher volume and can get muddy on the neck pickup. It doesnt realy have overdrive either, so you need a pedal for dirty playing.

Id go with the crate palomino. Tube tone, 10" speaker, gain, tone, and volume knobs all for only 200$ or less. Bargain.
"Good and evil lay side by side as electric love penetrates the sky"
Last edited by GuitarNinja12 at Sep 6, 2007,

Yep it does, not at all what I was thinking of.. I'm sure I looked at a transistor amp called Champion a good while back though, maybe the memory isn't what it once was...and I've checked out hundreds of practice amps, could easily have dreamed that one up. I looked at the Fender amp Field Guide before posting that and passed right over Champion 600 and 800, wasn't exactly the name I was looking for. I thought Champion wasn't there because it wasn't a tube amp. That list is all tubes. I'm thinking this was a black face 80s or 90s amp made after Fender went back to the black face design and started using it on everything, tubes or not, different more modern knobs and all that. Could have also confused it with the Champion 30 DSP or 110, both a bit larger amps.

And Pete, I wanna move you where you live if you think these amps are in his price range

Right you are, sorry, I got carried away and overlooked the price range...I got really lucky, my Champ cost me $8 with no speaker or tubes at a flea market, $4 for NOS tubes down the hall at the same flea market and a Radio Shack speaker at first, $12 for it and I was set with a working amp. So I don't have over $50 in it yet even after a couple of tube upgrades. The Gorilla speaker was a buck at a yard sale. Later a bit of minor repair and the Gorilla speaker and it sounds fabulous. But I didn't pay market price for it, even then, which was around $150 or so, $180 in mint condition. Now the thing would cost $$$. I'm glad I decided to take a chance on it.
Hmmm...I wonder what this button does...
I have a 6 inch gorrilla speaker laying around! I poked holes in it for more gain, than ripped it up because it didn't work!
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123

Quote by Doobergn
Would a valve junior sound good with a OCD pedal? If so Im getting both.

It'll probably sound very good, but what's your situation? Seems to me that if you can afford an OCD to go along with a VJ, that maybe you should just get a better amp... ?

If you're looking at the combo, you should at least step up to the Palomino V8. And if you're looking to gig/jam, you almost have enough for a new V16, and do have enough for a used Blues or Pro Jr.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
i'd go with a brighter and less compressed OD pedal, since the VJ already is pretty dark and bassy.
Quote by SRVStrat808
A used fender pro junior might fit your budget, if you could find it.

The fender champ is a better bet for blues (IMO) than the epi, but i do love fender amps.

The crate V8 used is also a fantastic choice.

I spent a lot of time playing amps in shops before I got the money together to actually buy my current rig. The three you listed ended up being my shortlist. My budget made up my mind for me and I got a Valve Junior, and I'm pretty damned happy with it. Not sure if my housemates agree.
Quote by The devil at the crossroads
E|-------------------------------------------1--
B|-----------------------------------1--4--
G|-------------------------1-3-4--
D|------------------1-3----
A|--------1-2-3----
E|-1-4-----

Just move it around the fretboard
Quote by slatsmania
It'll probably sound very good, but what's your situation? Seems to me that if you can afford an OCD to go along with a VJ, that maybe you should just get a better amp... ?

If you're looking at the combo, you should at least step up to the Palomino V8. And if you're looking to gig/jam, you almost have enough for a new V16, and do have enough for a used Blues or Pro Jr.

I've tried the Palamino, and honestly, I'd rather have my VJ. Good advice looking into those, but don't get those just because they are more expensive. More expensive =/= better TS. Blues Junior is a nice amp though, and I'd recommend it. Haven't played a Pro Jr. though.
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123

Quote by ECistheBest
VJ would be great for you. nice vintage bassy voicing. i like it a lot.

The VJ is quite bassy and lacks definition, only does one tone, and the expedience of that tone is questionable.
Quote by Twist of fate
cool. Ever get head from a stuffed animal?

Quote by casualty01
Say hello to your new warden, bitches!
Quote by Masamune
I love you
Quote by rosswigley89
The VJ is quite bassy and lacks definition, only does one tone, and the expedience of that tone is questionable.

It does plenty more than one tone. As long as you got a good guitar with knobs and multiple pickups.
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123

Page 1 of 2