First my price range is 500-700$ USD. I'm looking for something that sounds very good for the price range and has a wide range of sounds. (I play thrash, blues, prog, prog metal). If anyone can guide me to an amp that'd be great.
Smart Real Estate Invenstor
I'd go with a Peavey Valveking. I think the 112 is in your price range. I have one and it's a great little amp, especially for the money. It's all tube so you get good tone. It's small enough that it's not a huge hassle to move but loud enough to be heard over a full band and still sound good.
My Gear
Fender Player's Stratocaster
MXR 10-Band EQ
Blackstar HT-Dual
Moog MF-103 12-Stage Phaser
Boss ME-50
MXR Carbon Copy
Peavey Valveking 112
Quote by Kjoyea
Line 6 spider III 150

Vox Valvetronix AD100VT-XL 100W 2x12

both great amps
the line 6 has great effects but doesnt sound as great as the vox which is a tube amp.

fail.

While the vox is nice, it isnt a tube amp. It has a pre-amp tube in the power amp somehow but it isnt all tube. Now i dont know of an all tube amp that will do all those sounds in your price range but the B-52 AT-112 is good for metal but idk about other stuff. For your price range, dont compromise tone for all the fancy bells and whistles. If you dont need cleans, you could get a peavey windsor head and an avatar 2x12 cab and with an overdrive pedal could get a great metal sound.
Last edited by acdcrocks0323 at Sep 1, 2007,
Well you could get a great blues and classic rock amp with the Peavey Classic 30. Get it used and then get a Fulltone OCD for an overdrive and you should be able to get into high enough gain. You could also try a Visual Sound Jekyll and Hyde if you need to get higher gain than with the OCD. YOu should try it out though before you buy.
Quote by Kjoyea
Line 6 spider III 150

Vox Valvetronix AD100VT-XL 100W 2x12

both great amps
the line 6 has great effects but doesnt sound as great as the vox which is a tube amp.

Just no man. Everything about the Spider is crap. The amp models, the effects, the presets, the price, all of it. Don't even consider this amp.

The Marshall JCM800 is a classic, and is in your price range if you go used. And +1 on the B-52 and the Classic 30.
+1 to the JCM800, Classic 30 and AT

I'd also suggest a JCM900, try to find one of the "hotrodded" ones that runs on 5881s (6l6s). It can get pretty heavy, but you might need to add an OD pedal to it if you need a little more gain.

If cleans aren't *that* important, or if you only really use them for playing by yourself, you could get a 5150 combo, it will have all the gain you need. The clean channel isn't as bad as people make it out to be though, as long as it doesn't have crappy tubes, it should have a decent clean sound.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com