I am looking at upgrading my bass and guitar rigs which was proving expensive, but i heard its possible to use a power amp for both applications like the mesa 50/50. Is this correct?
Yes, it is possible.

You'd two different pre-amps though, and two different cabs..
[Founder of the Ibanez S players club.] Pm Me to Join
yeah, you could probably get away with the same preamp even, but you'll definitely have to either only use bass cab(s), or have 2 seperate cabs. You'll wreck guitar speakers running a bass thru them, but you can run a guitar thru bass speakers. The guitar will sound better through guitar speakers obviously, unless you're after a specific sound. Ideally, you would want 2 seperate preamps, one for guitar and bass, and 2 seperate cabs, a bass cab and a guitar cab like already mentioned.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
hmm, whats your thoughts on that one Randall cabinet that has got 2 12" speakers, and a 15" eminence legend..

Maybe that could handle both of his needs in one cab?
[Founder of the Ibanez S players club.] Pm Me to Join
the 15 might, but I don't know about the 12", they are probably made for guitar right? If it can split stereo between the 15" and 12" that would work pretty well I would imagine. Nice concept though, it would be cool if you could find an unloaded one and stock it yourself. I think I've seen some old Fender cabs that had that config too, and those things are solid pine. Is that any good for bass though?
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
well i was thinking of doing an adam jones and using the bass cab for guitar as well as its own 2x12. the first thing is im not sure if i could use my existing 6505 as the preamp effectively or my dsl50. one of them is going to get sold.

..actually now im thinking of getting a marshall valve preamp jmp and the mesa strategy400..would this kick ass?
Last edited by TroyMaclure at Sep 3, 2007,