Im wondering about this bass:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/OLP-MM3-with-Flamed-Maple-Top-5String-Bass?sku=516076

I hate the black one and the tony levin is that obnoxious orange color but this one is amazing...Im wondering if its decent, build wise. Im the evil kinda guy that takes apart his guitars/basses before he even gets them and ive already pictured dropping in an active pre and getting another pup but is the wood decent and will it last for a decent amount of time?

All the reviews ive found are either "cheap chinese piece of crap" and that it was torn apart before they even got it out of the box which is more of a shipping problem or "best bass ive ever bought" so its not really very objective and its idiotic to compare it to a real musicman in anyway. Theres a reason for a $700-1000 gap in between the two. Thank you
Last edited by cloud_x_13 at Sep 1, 2007,
Quote by Captain Insano
You used the search bar? Lies. There is a thread about an identical bass and it's till on the first page!

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=662793

That's the Tony Levin one, which he just said he specifically didn't want.

Anyway, I have the MM3, and I think it's very decent, I went to put active pups in it...But it was a disaster. The Duncan Basslines have to be wired actively (despite the site saying they don't) so you'll obviously need to route the body for the preamp etc. And the pickups don't fit exactly, so you'll need to route the top too.

But I think it sounds good as it is, and it's really easy to play, personally I think it's very fast. The build quality is also very good IMO, the G string's machine head tends to take knocks alot but it's still there

And my guitarist threw his guitar over his shoulder and hit it once....No real damage, so I'd say go for it, just be prepared to spend alot of money for the pups.
Quote by Demonikk
+1
I live by the method: 3 or less orange warning labels, and it's safe as a kitten

Quote by Charlatan_001
EDIT: Sammcl pretty much got it dead on.
Quote by jsbassboy
Didn't Fitz say he had a bunch of problems with his MM3?

MM2, he also said he got it 75% off, before trying/seeing it. But anyway, different bass.
Quote by Demonikk
+1
I live by the method: 3 or less orange warning labels, and it's safe as a kitten

Quote by Charlatan_001
EDIT: Sammcl pretty much got it dead on.
Quote by watchingmefall
Yeah, but one of these days Fitz is going to tell us the dangers about breathing oxygen.

Yeah, but where would the bass forum be without Fitz? Nowhere, thats where.

Or at least in a place where there's one less person to help against the overflow of repetitive threads
Quote by watchingmefall
Yeah, but one of these days Fitz is going to tell us the dangers about breathing oxygen.

Breathing oxygen is quite dangerous. It can thin your blood, giving you a fake feeling of being high, and breathing oxygen can cause the bends if you're not careful. Oxygen is flammable. If you smoke while breathing oxygen, you could explode and die internally.

Breathing the air in our atmosphere, which is 73% nitrogen, is very safe and gives you all the oxygen you need (around 21% of our air).

Don't you feel a bit silly now, saying that?
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Quote by thefitz
Breathing oxygen is quite dangerous. It can thin your blood, giving you a fake feeling of being high, and breathing oxygen can cause the bends if you're not careful. Oxygen is flammable. If you smoke while breathing oxygen, you could explode and die internally.

Breathing the air in our atmosphere, which is 73% nitrogen, is very safe and gives you all the oxygen you need (around 21% of our air).

1. How the hell did you know that? You didn't internet cheat did you?

2. I think that just made my day, as well as gave a point for this thread.

Quote by jsbassboy
1. How the hell did you know that? You didn't internet cheat did you?

2. I think that just made my day, as well as gave a point for this thread.

No, it's true, look it up. Some may say I'm an academic, as well as a UG Bass personality.

I didn't use the internet, I swears. My numbers might even be a bit off because of it.

EDIT:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air

Whoops, my numbers were indeed off. The air is 78% nitrogen, not 73%.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Last edited by thefitz at Sep 2, 2007,
From Wikipedia:

Toxicity of O2

Main article: oxygen toxicity

Oxygen can be toxic at elevated partial pressures. Since oxygen partial pressure is the fraction of oxygen times the total pressure, elevated partial pressures can occur either from high oxygen fraction in breathing gas, or from high breathing gas pressure, or a combination of both. Oxygen toxicity usually begins to occur at partial pressures more than 0.5 atmospheres, or 2.5 times the normal sea-level oxygen partial pressure of about 0.2 atmospheres or bars. This means that at sea-level pressures, mixtures containing less than 50% oxygen are essentially non-toxic. However in medical applications (such as in ventilation gas mixtures in hospital applications) mixtures containing more than 50% oxygen can be expected to show lung toxicity, causing slow damage to the lungs over periods of days, with the rate of damage rising rapidly from mixtures between 50% and 100% oxygen. On the other hand, breathing 100% oxygen in space applications (such as in some modern spacesuits, or in early spacecraft such as the Apollo spacecraft), causes no damage due to the low total pressures (30% to 33% sea-level) used.[16] In the case of spacesuits, oxygen partial pressure in the breathing gas is typically about 0.30 bar (1.4 times normal), and oxygen partial pressure in the astronaut's blood (due to downward adjustments due to water vapor and CO2 in the alveoli) is close to sea-level normal of 0.2 bar.

In deep scuba diving and surface supplied diving and when using equipment which can provide high partial pressures of oxygen, such as rebreathers, oxygen toxicity to the lungs can occur, just as in medical applications. Due to the higher total pressures in these applications, the fraction of oxygen which produces lung damage may be considerably less than 50%. More importantly, under pressures higher than normal sea-level, a far more serious form of oxygen toxicity in the central nervous system may lead to generalized seizures. This form of oxygen toxicity usually occurs after several hours exposure to oxygen partial pressures over about 1.4 atmospheres (bars) (i.e. 7 times normal), with the time decreasing for higher pressures above this, and with great variation from person to person. At over three bars of oxygen partial pressure (15 times normal), seizures typically occur within minutes.

Combustion hazard

Highly concentrated sources of oxygen promote rapid combustion and therefore are fire and explosion hazards in the presence of fuels. Oxygen itself is not the fuel, but as a reactant, concentrated oxygen may allow combustion to proceed dangerously rapidly. The fire that killed the Apollo 1 crew on a test launchpad spread so rapidly because the capsule was pressurized with pure oxygen as would be usual in an actual flight, but to maintain positive pressure in the capsule, this was at slightly more than atmospheric pressure instead of the ⅓ normal pressure that would be used in flight. (See partial pressure.)

Hazards also apply to compounds of oxygen with a high oxidative potential, such as high concentration peroxides, chlorates, perchlorates, and dichromates; they also can often cause chemical burns.

ha i win
Or,

Air
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
For other uses, see Air (disambiguation).
The term air designates a gas mixture of the atmosphere of Earth. Air consists mainly of the two gases nitrogen (78 %) and oxygen (21 %). In addition, there are the components argon (0.9 %) and carbon dioxide (0.04 %). In its natural state air is odorless and tastless.

The oxygen contained in air is necessary for the survival for all aerobic land organisms. All animals need it in order to breathe. Without air man and animals can live only minutes. Without water, which is frequently named as the most important foodstuff, they can survive a few days.

Plants need the carbon dioxide for photosynthesis. For almost all plants this is the only source of carbon.

And you get all the relevant info. But enough about that, I made my point.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
Quote by thefitz
And you get all the relevant info. But enough about that, I made my point.

Yeah we wouldn't want to make this thread any more off topic.
Quote by thefitz

You've got to be kidding me That was golden.
Quote by watchingmefall
You've got to be kidding me That was golden.

Borderline pwnage, wunnit?
Quote by Cody_Grey102
Quote by thefitz
Borderline pwnage, wunnit?

Fitz, you are the definition of pwnage
I have an MM3 in natural. Got it used for $175. Use it as my practice guitar...stays in tune well and has a very neutral, slightly bass-y sound through my old Ampeg B-3.

I've used it live a few times and it does OK but I prefer my Spector. I think you can tell the biggest difference between OLP and the real deal the most in the neck.
Quote by thefitz

I ****ing love you
Last.FM

Quote by Applehead
There are some things in life that are universally "good":

Sex, pizza, the smell of fresh washing and slap bass.
Aww, I'd sig you guys, but I only sig bad things about me.
Quote by Cody_Grey102