Before everyone yells TUBE TUBE, I have a few things to clarify.
I'm not the kind of guy to buy a tube amp just to have a tube and and be cool and all, so I'd like opinions, good points and bad points about 'em, and not just random "buy tube just because it's tube".

Anyways, that being said...

My budget is around 500$ canadian, which is pretty much the same american these days. I though about buying a Peavey Valveking 112, but I've heard some different opinions about 'em, good and bad. So this guy at my local guitar shop shows me a Roland Cube...Pretty cool, lots of great modelling posibilities, but last time I bought something along those lines (Digitech Modelling pedal), I was happy for a bit, but the possibilities are not that large, and it's not super-quality. The guy at the shop also said that people liked tube amps when they wanted a really specific sound, and that you bought a tube amp when you found THE sound you are looking for, and that's pretty much the only sound the amp will give to you. I don't know about that, you tell me.

So I'm hesitating between buying a Valveking (or some other tube amp you guys might suggest within my budget), and then building a nice pedal board during the few months after buying the amp, when I get the money and all. The other option is the Roland Cube 60.

I want to be able to have a good sound at low volumes, because I often practice at home when everyone is asleep, but I also want to be heard over a drummer, and play small gigs where PAs wouldn't necessarily be available.

Anyways, what do YOU think?
Quote by XnaySaturo
Before everyone yells TUBE TUBE, I have a few things to clarify.
I'm not the kind of guy to buy a tube amp just to have a tube and and be cool and all, so I'd like opinions, good points and bad points about 'em, and not just random "buy tube just because it's tube".

I'd just like to clarify that we don't buy tube amps just because they're tube and so we can be cool. We buy them plainly because they sound a lot better. If they didn't no one would pay the extra money.
Quote by CL/\SH

Quote by sanitarium1
...for the gigs im going to be playing its going to be 60% tone and 40% stage look, and I'd like the look of my rig to be able to back up its sound.

No.
No.
NO.
GOD DAMMIT NO.
I think that people don't choose tube amps for arbitrary reasons, as you seem to.
Tubes sound better. That said, the valveking isn't that great and something like a Hot Rod or a classic 30 would be a much better starter tube amp.
Tell us what you play!

I find the Roland to be generic sounding. Still good sounding but its sorta bland!

I think you should go for the VK. Better sounding amp over all just reliability issues really!
Quote by Roc8995
I think that people don't choose tube amps for arbitrary reasons, as you seem to.
Tubes sound better. That said, the valveking isn't that great and something like a Hot Rod or a classic 30 would be a much better starter tube amp.

i don't think Hot Rod's distortion channel is that much better than a valveking.

the clean channel is superior though.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
I'm no expert with the gigging end of things, but I'd say if you want good sound at low volumes, solid state stuff is probably up your alley. Tubes are indeed the way to get "the" guitar sounds, (hope I don't sound stupid there) but I feel comfortable with solid state modeling type stuff, anything I can plug headphones into and just play without bothering anyone.

Just my opinion and I'll make it strong here, I believe that when it comes to gear, other than tone (which is most important) one other thing is important, that you buy gear that allows/makes you feel like; playing more.

Tubes need to be cranked up to the sweet spot, and they sound better than anything else when they're there, but solid state/modelers can sound decent at very low volumes... which is ideal if you aren't living alone.

with the Cube, you'd be able to play pretty much whenever, at whatever volume, with headphones if necessary. Also, I believe the Cube can drive a 4x12 cabinet, which you might want if you plan on playing gigs without a PA....

I'm no expert of gear for gigging, and if I'm recording in a studio, hell yes, mic up the tube amps, thre is no replacement in that department... but as far as practicing goes, I stand pretty strongly behind solid state/modelers...

best of luck
Last edited by ChuckV at Sep 1, 2007,
^ most of the tube amps i've tried sounded better at low volumes than solid states. though some modellers like the vox ad series (especially the ad60 or 120vt) are VERY good
I've used modelers before, though you get a lot for your money, and they are good starter equipment, they simply can't compare to a good tube amp. I would rather have an amp that had a good clean channel and a good distortion channel, and thats it, then have a SS modeler that can do 10 different amp types at mediocre quality.
Quote by CL/\SH

Quote by sanitarium1
...for the gigs im going to be playing its going to be 60% tone and 40% stage look, and I'd like the look of my rig to be able to back up its sound.

No.
No.
NO.
GOD DAMMIT NO.
Oh gawd...I knew I forgot something...THE most important thing heh.
Mostly metal, more specifically, progressive metal, so I want to be kinda versatile.

Thanks for the quick replies, and about the tube thing, I'm only saying that because I've heard to much "get tube" without any explanation. I'm totally open to buying and hearing about tube.
as said no one buys tubes for tubes, they buy em cause there sick of ****ty solid states, buy a tube amp and a tubescreamer and you will **** yourself its so good
seriously my amps gain goes from 1-20
+ a tubescreamer
its insane, and thats at low volumes
Good to hear tubes are still good at low volumes...That's one of the only disadvantages I've heard.
Quote by XnaySaturo
Oh gawd...I knew I forgot something...THE most important thing heh.
Mostly metal, more specifically, progressive metal, so I want to be kinda versatile.

Thanks for the quick replies, and about the tube thing, I'm only saying that because I've heard to much "get tube" without any explanation. I'm totally open to buying and hearing about tube.

It's ok, you should really read the FAQ's they go into the differences. I understand you just hear it but don't know the reasoning.

The only draw back to tubes is that they sound much better the harder they are driven [aka louder] however if you need your amp to be on the lower volume side, you may find it hard to reach the sweet spot on tube amps. Also if your unaware a tube amp is much louder than a SS amp at the same wattage.
Quote by CL/\SH

Quote by sanitarium1

No.
No.
NO.
GOD DAMMIT NO.
if u wanna be heard over a drummer get tube, solid states are okay but tube is better at high volume
My gear
ESP Ltd series H 400
fernandes ravelle elite (honey burst finish, emg 81 in bridge.)
B-52 AT-112(all tube!)
So if I get a tube and some pedals, let's say I'd use the tube on clean with pedals for practice at low volumes, and stock distortion for band practice?

What amps have a good distortion channel at my price range?
are marshall MGs tube or solid or what?
im clueless.. my dad got me mine
Jesus wouldn't give you the sweat off of his balls if you were dying of thirst.
Quote by Code-E
God, you've gotta be UG's only moron!

Quote by magnum1117
that's right,you certainly are UG's only moron.

Quote by necrosis1193
Read the moron's posts, ironically enough he knows what he says.
It simply depends, I believe, what's more important to you; whether it's a great, quality sound, for playing gigs, or something that's very appropriate for practicing purposes. Have you considered getting a smaller cube, and saving the rest for a nice tube amp in the future?

I believe, from personal experience, that tube amps sounds just as good, if not better, than solid states at low volume. Solid state amps aren't appropriate for loud volumes, they clip very harshly. It ultimately is your decision, but I'd recommend you to buy a decent tube amp, up to about 50 watts or so is appropriate (and maybe an attentuator for practice, if you have the extra cash for one, and there's a good amount of wattage in the amp.)
Quote by FrenchBread
Also if your unaware a tube amp is much louder than a SS amp at the same wattage.

from what ive heard, it sounds louder, its not actually louder
like if you play the same wattage through a 4x12 instead of a 2x12, the sound is "bigger" not louder

but im not sure
Quote by its_alive
Lighten up.

The Pit>Professionals

Quote by meh!
Wow, the rape wagon. The wagon sounds like the best wagon in town
Quote by p o e
are marshall MGs tube or solid or what?
im clueless.. my dad got me mine

Solid state....
High Cardinal of Zeppelinism PM TheHeartbreaker to join and
"Co-Founder (and Yoda) of the Star Wars Universe. PM me or SethMegadefan to join.

' " The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death"...'-p.269-Deathly Hallows
tubes are much better than solid states, xcept that when tubes run out on u, depending on the amp, it costs about $10-$30 or so to replace. and then costs some money to re-bias in most cases. but the volume and sound are definately worth it.

and a Fender tube amp probably sounds much better than a valveking clean. im only saying probably bcuz i havent played one, but i am about 90% sure.
Is a tube amp annoying to carry around a lot? Apart from the weight from a big one, I mean. How fragile are tubes and all?
its not... there's really heavy solid state amps.

tubes aren't fragile. ur reverb pan might break before ur tubes.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
just don't throw it around or treat it carelessly and you'll be fine. treat it as you treat your guitar and the rest of your gear. that being said, i've moved my hot rod deluxe and at-100 and such around in the trunk of my car without cases and both are still fine. not really the smartest thing to do but...they're still both in perfect condition.
Talking about guitars, I have a ESP LTD MH-1000 (if it helps) and a Godin SD (not really gonna be used except for alternate tunings).
The Fender cleans are a little better than the Valveking. The drawback of a VK for you is even though they sound pretty good a relatively low volumes (a very good preamp distortion) I am not sure you would want to play one when everyone else is in bed unless you have a very big house and an acoustically well isolated room. Unless you turn it down to where the amp is just barely driving the speaker (and it starts sounding like crap) just the low-end and punch would be a problem. The same thing applies to anything driving a large speaker, including the Blues Juniors, etc. The lowest wattage that will carry over drums clean is about 30 watts, dirty you can get by with 15. Unfortunately unless I misunderstand you two different amps may be necessary. A very small ss Peavey Transtube is cheap and sounds ok, plus has a headphone jack. Tubier sounding than most. A 5 watt tube combo like the Peavey Royal 8 (8" speaker, master vol and headphone jack) would be better for late night, and a 30 watt for band practice. It is a pain in the butt to have to buy two amps, but I am in a similar position. I have the VK 50 watt 112 and I am shopping for a practice amp (probably the VK Royal 8) because I need a quiet good-sounding tube amp. Good luck.
I already have a Peavey Transtube...I was going to give it to someone, but I can always keep it since it could still be used for something.

I'm leaning more towards tube and pedals right now then...Does anyone have alternatives to a Valveking, and/or comments about them?
Quote by somethingcool76
from what ive heard, it sounds louder, its not actually louder
like if you play the same wattage through a 4x12 instead of a 2x12, the sound is "bigger" not louder

but im not sure

Yes this is true but i didn't want to go through the details which he may stray from the point. Tube amps attribute their perception of being louder largely to that fact that it sounds louder to the human ear, as opposed to it actually being louder.

Though the a 4x12 sounds bigger than a 2x12 you do gain volume, just only about 3dB. Just think if you have 1 acoustic guitar vs 2 acoustic guitar's playing the same thing, the sound is a little bigger and a little louder.
Quote by CL/\SH

Quote by sanitarium1

No.
No.
NO.
GOD DAMMIT NO.
What's you guys' opinion about a B-52 AT-112 60-Watt? How is it compared to a Valveking?
Quote by XnaySaturo
What's you guys' opinion about a B-52 AT-112 60-Watt? How is it compared to a Valveking?

Its like comparing Heaven (The B-52) to Earth (the VK). Although, playing when people are sleeping with the B-52 would be harder to pull off but do-able.
TO ALL MY KILLERS AND MY HUNDRED DOLLAR BILLERS...
...TO EMO KIDS THAT GOT TOO MANY FEELINGS
Tube is better, but SS is still perfectly usable and that's what I'll be using for a while. It's got two speakers in it and I'd def say that's a good thing. Get a head and a small cab and upgrade the cab later on to a bigger one.
Yeah the sleeping part is out of the equation now. I'll have to go in town to test out a few amps then.