i need some help in math the book i got is crap at explaining and havent been able to keep up with my classes since i got book yesterday so i been studying like madman and most of this stuff is easy is just that i forgot most of it already

so the problem i got is im kind of confused is

3(3-T)
-------
(T+5)(T-3)

the line ------ is to express as fraction hope you guys understand

when i saw problem what i would have done is cancel (3-T) and (T-3) but for some reason problem has to be multiplied by -1 top and bottom

like this:

3(3-T)(-1)
-------
(T+5)(T-3)(-1)

and you would get for answer -3 over T+5

now what i dont get is why not just simply cancel out (3-T) and T-3) and get answer of

3 over T+5 why do you have to get the 3 at the top as negative?

----
T+5

any help is appreciated i know i should have paid more attention but i got notes messed up and got a few assigments to go so i appreciated your help guys if you can help me out
Erm I'm pretty sure the answer is

---
T+5

Multiplying a fraction by -1 just turns the fraction upside down I think (or does it put it over 1 :confused
answer is -3 over T+5 i got instructors algebra boo kas well as solution manual i still dont get it why is it like that though
you can't cancel out (3-t) and (t-3) cuz there not the same. what if t is 2? then 3-t is 1 and t-3 is (-1). there not the same. but if you multiply the whole thing by (-1)/(-1), you can choose to distribute the (-1) out wherever you choose - which would be to the (t-3) in the bottom, and ot the 3 in the top. the reason you don't distribute it to the (t-3) on the top is because it has to be the same as the (t-3) on the bottom. hope that helps
Quote by Dimebag22
This might just be the smartest guy in The Pit. I didn't believe Ethan when he told me there were smart people in The Pit But I was wrong.

yeah, thats me

member 42 of the Iron Maiden are gods club. PM revelations to join
T-3 is not the same as 3-T

Is 10-3 = 3-10? Nope.

so how comes it cancels so nicely when u multiply by -1 it just changes value
Quote by DorkusMalorkus
T-3 is not the same as 3-T

Is 10-3 = 3-10? Nope.

I actually feel sick that I didn't notice that
you can't cancel out (3-t) and (t-3) cuz there not the same. what if t is 2? then 3-t is 1 and t-3 is (-1). there not the same. but if you multiply the whole thing by (-1)/(-1), you can choose to distribute the (-1) out wherever you choose - which would be to the (t-3) in the bottom, and ot the 3 in the top. the reason you don't distribute it to the (t-3) on the top is because it has to be the same as the (t-3) on the bottom. hope that helps

sorry im so dumb but is kind of hard for me to understand why multiplying -1 had to do with solving problem

3(3-T)
-------
(T+5)(T-3)

(t+3)
(3+t)

if i multiply by -1 dont the values stay in the same place?
its more like youre taking the -1 out of the top... like factoring i guess. -1(-3+t)=(3-t). just like (5x+3x)=(x)(5+3) you can distribute the x or take it out, just like with the -1, either leave it in or take it out. in this case, take it out. kinda hard to explain..
think of it like this:

3(-T+3)
----------
(T+5)(T-3)

so if you multiply (t-3) by -1, you get (-T+3) so then they will cancel.
thanks for the help guys but now i got another problem

how would you do this

is x to the 2nd power over 5 multiplied by 25 over xy+y

x^2/5 X 25/xy+y