does anyone when and/or if fender's gonna take the lacquer finish off the geddy lee jazz basses neck? that's like the only thing keepin me from buyin it! thanks for any info provided.
Wy wats wrong with it?
Quote by Damaged Roses
I don't really understand why basses have 24 frets, I mean, I've never seen a bassist playing more than the 12 fret.

My Gear-
Warwick Double Buck
Epiphone EB0
GK MB 210
Fender Rumble
they probably wont. if it bothers u that much im pretty sure u could strip it off or sand it off.
Quote by The1bassist06
Wy wats wrong with it?

i just dont rly like the finish. it doesnt feel right to me
I remember an interview with Bass Player where Geddy says they were trying to gte the necks of the new line of Signatures sanded down. I guess Geddy really likes the feel of the sanded neck.
Last.FM

Quote by Applehead
There are some things in life that are universally "good":

Sex, pizza, the smell of fresh washing and slap bass.
yep bass player said next year's geddy lee sig bass is not gunna have the gloss finish on the neck
Quote by xninja
yep bass player said next year's geddy lee sig bass is not gunna have the gloss finish on the neck

saw that too. so just wait a year, or buy a time machine
Quote by watchingmefall
Aren't they also going to change the tuners?

Yes, they are, they're putting hipshot's on the newest batch.

It's on www.bassplayer.tv
Quote by Demonikk
+1
I live by the method: 3 or less orange warning labels, and it's safe as a kitten

Quote by Charlatan_001
EDIT: Sammcl pretty much got it dead on.
Sweet.
Currently attempting to learn: The Dissentience by Protest The Hero in it's entirety.
Geddy's original bass has a glossy neck and Fender tuners, so it doesn't make any sense to change these features. Also, it might be tricky for Fender Japan, whose factory is geared toward producing glossy necks.

I love the Geddy Lee model just the way it is. In fact, I love it because of the way it is.

American Stratocaster + Blues Junior

Quote by Confused4930
I remember an interview with Bass Player where Geddy says they were trying to gte the necks of the new line of Signatures sanded down. I guess Geddy really likes the feel of the sanded neck.

Yep. I remember watching that interview a couple days ago. He said that he sanded the neck down and replaced the tuners.
Quote by Armored Artist
Geddy's original bass has a glossy neck and Fender tuners, so it doesn't make any sense to change these features. Also, it might be tricky for Fender Japan, whose factory is geared toward producing glossy necks.

I love the Geddy Lee model just the way it is. In fact, I love it because of the way it is.

Lately they have been doing a few models with a satin feel. I know the J. mascis jazzmaster has a satin neck and if im not mistaken the Marcus Miller Jazz has a satin neck and its produced in japan if i remember correctly.
Gear:
1965 Fender Mustang not a RI
Squier Vintage Modified Jazz Bass

Peavey Classic 50

I know many people might not like this, but that interview with Geddy really made me doubt his actual knowledge of instruments. Sure, he knows his playing, and he knows his tone, but the basses? Not-so-much. He looked like a deer in the headlights when being asked about the Jaco sig and it's epoxied fretboard. Hell, he even leaves the Fender strings on it, even though he always uses the strings Jaco used. Huh?

Anyway, sanding down a neck to bare wood is a bad idea. Maple's the kind of wood that can warp and get ruined by sweat and grime. Warmoth says you void your warranty if you sand down their necks. They say they can give you a bare neck, but they give you a thousand reasons why you shouldn't. It might feel faster to some, but you're shortening the life of your neck significantly. I think the next batch of Geddys will only have the new tuners.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
in an interview they said they plan to do it this year or next
Quote by Gibson_Rocker13
you are my new hero cause i do the exact same thing but i suck at it

#8 of the EHX USERS GUILD
Quote by SublimeGuitar
Orange Rocker 30. Best Marshall ever

epi firefly dsp 30, epi sg, big muff
olp five string, peavy max 158
Quote by thefitz
I know many people might not like this, but that interview with Geddy really made me doubt his actual knowledge of instruments. Sure, he knows his playing, and he knows his tone, but the basses? Not-so-much. He looked like a deer in the headlights when being asked about the Jaco sig and it's epoxied fretboard. Hell, he even leaves the Fender strings on it, even though he always uses the strings Jaco used. Huh?

Anyway, sanding down a neck to bare wood is a bad idea. Maple's the kind of wood that can warp and get ruined by sweat and grime. Warmoth says you void your warranty if you sand down their necks. They say they can give you a bare neck, but they give you a thousand reasons why you shouldn't. It might feel faster to some, but you're shortening the life of your neck significantly. I think the next batch of Geddys will only have the new tuners.

Do Fender offer sanded maple necks? Or do all of them come glossy?
Quote by thefitz

I believe in the interview Geddy said he didn't want to fool around with the jaco tribute bass because it was jacos concept I guess he just wanted to keep it the way it was strait from the factory.( Im guessing that includes strings)
Quote by watchingmefall
Do Fender offer sanded maple necks? Or do all of them come glossy?

They offer satin finished necks, which have the texture of bare wood somewhat. In fact, most, if not all USA-made Fenders have this neck. Most Mexicans, too.
Quote by HardR0cker153
I believe in the interview Geddy said he didn't want to fool around with the jaco tribute bass because it was jacos concept I guess he just wanted to keep it the way it was strait from the factory.( Im guessing that includes strings)

Yeah, but I what I got from it was the fact that he didn't want to mess with Jaco's 'concept', not Fenders physical bass. The fact that he didn't know about the epoxied fingerboard and the fact that he uses the exact same strings as Jaco is kinda... sad?
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Last edited by thefitz at Sep 3, 2007,