I have had a standard Tele for about a year now, and I love it (mostly). The action is great, it is well balanced and sounds decent for being completely stock. There's just one thing I haven't been able to deal with. The 9.5 radius is killing me. I can barely bend to pitch, and forget about putting decent vibrato in a bend. Is this something I can learn to play with? Because I have been playing it for almost a year now, and I still have trouble with it. Heavy vibrato and bending are key elements to my style of playing, and I don't know if I'll be able to keep using this guitar....
So I guess my question is: Is this something I can overcome? and, has anyone ever had this problem before?

I know I could just buy a different guitar with 12 or 14 fingerboard radius, but nothing else I have come across sounds like the strat I have had my eye on for a couple of years. Or the '52 tele, or that other strat...lol.
Quote by jackbauer
playing by yourself is like masturbating, sure it feels great, but it's nothing compared to the real deal.

Quote by guylee
Oh Shit! I Have A Weird Growth On My Body!

To The Pit!

JOIN MY GROUP plox

http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/tonelife/
Sure, you can overcome this... If you like the guitar that much, just keep practicing, eventually you'll get used to it.

What string guage are you using? You could always try to use lighter strings if you're not using .09 already. Even though some people use .08.
Quote by primusfan
It wasn't mean, it was Portuguese.

Master Saruwatari of the Pit Samurai Pm theguitarist to join

Membro do clube Português do UG.
I use the .08's because I bend so much. Might help. Tele's are used by some great blues men. Give it a little more time. After a year though you probably should know. I hate to see you get rid of such a great guitar. You may end up having to get a Strat.
I'm using 10s, and I would never go lower. Its not that I have trouble phsyically bending the strings; I just can't hit the right pitch or get good vibrato.
Quote by jackbauer
playing by yourself is like masturbating, sure it feels great, but it's nothing compared to the real deal.

Quote by guylee

To The Pit!

JOIN MY GROUP plox

Aren't most fenders 9.5? I found them no problem to bend/vibrato on, but those were all in-shop with 9's (damn i hate those fender super bullets)

just practice more
|~| Iron Maiden addiction |~|
\m/ \m/

gear in profile
I dont see how the radius would make it harder to get the right pitch. Just keep practicing. Its all mucle memory, if the pitch doesnt sound right to you, you adjust the bend. Try playing a note, lets say G, 3rd fret on high e. Play the note and listen to it. Then take the 6th fret on the b string and to a whole step bend (bending from F to G). Try to match it with the first G thatyou played.
Carvin DC127+Custom Lacewood Build+Godin SD--->Traynor YCV50BLUE

My Build IT'S DONE!
I always thought that the radius is what makes it easier to either bend or chord...but I could be wrong.
Anyway, for comparison, I have an Ibanez AR250 with a 12" radius, high action (compared to my tele), and its strung with 10s. I can get a much sweeter vibrato and bend out of my Ibanez than my tele.

EDIT: to bean-o, I do what you suggested often (playing a note then trying to match it with a bend 1 step down). I can do it everytime, but it just comes so much more naturally on my Ibanez, and I CAN'T get the vibrato to sound the way I want it too. It doesn't sound bad, but its not good enough for me, because I know I can do better.
Quote by jackbauer

Quote by guylee

To The Pit!

JOIN MY GROUP plox

Last edited by USAPeavey at Sep 1, 2007,
Quote by uldhppi
I use the .08's because I bend so much. Might help. Tele's are used by some great blues men. Give it a little more time. After a year though you probably should know. I hate to see you get rid of such a great guitar. You may end up having to get a Strat.

+2.

and hppi check ur PMs.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
I would think that scale length would affect ease of bending more than neck radius. Of course you should practice until you're comfortable with your Tele, but try a Les Paul sometime(24.74" vs. 25.5"). You may find bends/vibrato a little easier.