I am looking to spend around 400$ if I can get it used I will take that. I want something versatile that can do blues classic rock and maybe even mettalica. I have heard alot about the gt-8 but is the line 6 any better. I like the thought of downloading tones off the internet.
I persoanlly like the Boss, or the Zoom
Quote by killbox2490
HOLY S**T! There is a switch hahahahahha. Thanks Red Wing. Now you're probably going to quote me for being so retarded

CLAPTON IS GOD
Do you really need an FX unit, because it sounds to me like you might simply need a better amp.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
Do you really need an FX unit, because it sounds to me like you might simply need a better amp.

Yup, good point. I always answer the question asked on forums, but there's more to it than that.

If you have a crappy or even marginal amp, the amp models are still going to be limited when amplified through that amp. What do you plan on running the multi through?
Quote by TwoString
Yup, good point. I always answer the question asked on forums, but there's more to it than that.

If you have a crappy or even marginal amp, the amp models are still going to be limited when amplified through that amp. What do you plan on running the multi through?

I'm more like Columbo, I read the question, then try to work out what the actual problem is and whether what the TS has asked about is actually going to help. Like with this one, to me the "best" way to get those sounds would be to have a decent tube amp and maybe an EQ. However, you're talking serious money there and it's not exactly practical. However, something like a Valvetronix would be ideal and probably a better all-round solution to the problem than an FX unit.

oh Sir, just one more thing...
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Quote by steven seagull
I'm more like Columbo, I read the question, then try to work out what the actual problem is and whether what the TS has asked about is actually going to help. Like with this one, to me the "best" way to get those sounds would be to have a decent tube amp and maybe an EQ. However, you're talking serious money there and it's not exactly practical. However, something like a Valvetronix would be ideal and probably a better all-round solution to the problem than an FX unit.

oh Sir, just one more thing...

Would A Peavey Classic 30 be good to run it through.
In my experience a multi FX kills the tone of a tube amp - if it's simply a case of your distortion settings then you might want to look at dedicated pedals, the solution might be as simple as an overdrive and an EQ.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Quote by steven seagull
In my experience a multi FX kills the tone of a tube amp - if it's simply a case of your distortion settings then you might want to look at dedicated pedals, the solution might be as simple as an overdrive and an EQ.

????? Yeah but you just said if you dont run it through a good amp it wont sound good.
So the peavey Classic 30 and gt-8 dont sound good together.
No, I just said you *might* need a better amp instead of an FX unit on the basisof not knowing which amp you had. I personally think that something like the GT8 wil make your amp sound worse - if you simply want more gain or a more "metal" sound then there's better ways to achieve it.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

I used the amp models and the effects without the amp models and I was very happy with the tones I got. Keep in mind that the GT-8 through a Hot Rod Deluxe replaced my 40" x 20" pedalboard full of effects and a Twin Reverb. It all comes down to how you dial in the unit. Other multi effects don't far as well (POD XTL), others just sound down right horrible (any GNX). The GT-8 did it for me. The GT-8 and a Peavey Classic 30 would be a great combination of great amp tones and quality digital effects. The overdrive/distortion might not be to your liking (I was very happy with the Tube Screamer simulator on the unit, and compared side by side with my TS-9 they sounded very similar), but everything else on the unit is all class.
A friend of mine uses a Gt-8 with a classic 30 to get a good range of acceptable tones. Although, I fear to ask how many hours he spent setting up the board.

Do you already own a classic 30? Because I remember those amps as able to achieve good blues and classic rock tones on its own, and a good distortion pedal would get you up to Metalish tones better than any of the multi effects units would.

The only reason I would think you might need/want a multi-fx would be for the effects part and not the tone modeling. The boss unit would probably be your best bet for that. However, if you don't use a lot of effects, or don't want to spend the time setting up digital ones, a few dedicated stomp boxes might still do the job better.
Quote by mercinariesgtr
what about the vox one with the tube in it

i have a vox tonelab LE. i mainly use it for playing straight through a pa though. if you have to get one id say go vox.
Quote by Soma3009
I came up with this kick ass riff on my ukelele when I was 12. Find out two years later, it was smoke on the water. Got my hopes and dreams killed..

Quote by saintjimmy99
you used the right form of "their!" i commend you sir!

g9.2tt is preddy sveeeeeeet. Have nothing to compare it with, but it sounds awesome to me. It can even make a MG100dfx sound good o_O
try the zoom G9.2tt. Sounds pretty good. Youtube has a review byy guitat world that was pretty good. Goves you an idea of what it can do.
Tc Electropnics G major system is the ebst one, because it doesnt have any eqing or other amp settings in it, just the effects, so it doesnt cause any coloration to your amp other then effects. It is a life changing system especially after you can udpgrade it with a voodoo tone lab dmc 2000 pro midi footboard or whatever the model is called, its amazing.
MY Setup
carvin v3 full stack 100 watt all tube power
a 1981 carvin (m-22 pickup) great tone
Rack Setup
carvin compressor
carvin fx 2
BBE Sonic Maximizer
Rocktron Noise Gate
furman power conditioner
Quote by mercinariesgtr
what about the vox one with the tube in it

That things looks sweeeeet. I've heard some really good things about the GT8 and a friend of mine really likes his Korg AX3000G.
"Make my funk the P-Funk, I want my funk uncut"
Quote by jambi_mantra
James, are you God?

Fender Highway One Tele
1985 Encore 335
Takamine EG523sc
Laney VC15
Vox V847
MXR M-108
EHX Q-Tron+, Big Muff Pi, POG
MI Audio Crunch Box
Yamaha DTXplorer DrumKit
Hey I have a Fender212R 100 watt am do u think this pedal would sound good through it?
Quote by Mackawade
i was wondering what is some of the stuff you guys would consider better than WOW

Quote by last-1s-out
Getting kicked in the balls repeatedly

Primus Sucks
The TC Electronic G•Major is awesome, but has NO distortion "effects." I do think he's looking for a tone shaper, and not a traditional multi-effects unit. If he's looking for tone, I would advise, instead, a good tube preamp. For $400 USD, there are several options, although I don't remember any specific models off the top of my head (Randall, Rocktron, etc.). I haven't been able to try the Vox ToneLab LE unit, but it looks interesting, and may actually fulfill the TS' intended request—I just don't know if it really has the gain to do metal, as they claim. Again, I've never heard one.

But, my personal favorite is the Engl E530, which has gain up the ass, and has both good cleans and some of the best, high-gain metal tones I've ever heard ('cept maybe a Soldano SLO). It's a bit out of his price range at $510 USD, but I think it's worth it. You get the Engl sound at less than half the price of any of their heads. And by the way, good tube preamps do wonders for crappy SS amps, when you use the SS amp soley as a power amp.
American HM Strat | LP Studio
Soldano Avenger w/DeYoung OT | Mark IV rackmount | DC-3 rackmount | Single-Recto

Last edited by LEVEL4 at Nov 7, 2007,