So after many long hours of extremely slow practice today, I've finally gotten to a point where my picking hand can stay in a totally relaxed tension-free state. And that's good and all, because I won't be hindered by that tension anymore.

But in my relaxed state, my fingers stick out into the strings/pickguard. So, when I alternate pick, my fingers are brushing against the other strings or pickguard. If I leave my fingers how they are, I can stay in a tension-free state. But if I retract them backward and out of the way of the strings/pickguard (like Paul Gilbert does), my hand seems to get tense again.

What do I do?
Last edited by fixationdarknes at Sep 1, 2007,
Cut them off.

Seriously, though, practice like that. You'll get used to it eventually.
My League of Legends stream
The morning will come
In the press of every kiss
With your head upon my chest

Where I will annoy you
With every waking breath
Until you, decide to wake up
Keep practicing tension free, and slowly speed it up so that you don't have any problems with. Try not to take huge leaps
Quote by fixationdarknes
So after many long hours of extremely slow practice today, I've finally gotten to a point where my picking hand can stay in a totally relaxed tension-free state. And that's good and all, because I won't be hindered by that tension anymore.

But in my relaxed state, my fingers stick out into the strings/pickguard. So, when I alternate pick, my fingers are brushing against the other strings or pickguard. If I leave my fingers how they are, I can stay in a tension-free state. But if I retract them backward and out of the way of the strings/pickguard (like Paul Gilbert does), my hand seems to get tense again.

What do I do?

Well, the closed fist style doesn't work for me either. I guess I've just learned to not to touch the strings with my other fingers.