I've been wanting to buy a drumkit now for a while, maybe something cheap to start with that I can upgrade if I decide to get serious. I was thinking primarily a typical acoustic style drumkit but I would really be pushed to fit one somewhere. I noticed electric drumkits in my local music shop and that they take up a lot less space.

Basically I'm looking for the pros/cons of an electric drum kit

AND

Some recommendations on an acoustic drumkit within a budget of £200-300

I realise this is a guitar forum but I'm presuming at least some of this community know a thing or two about drums.

Thanks.
Bring back Tabo
You can't buy an electric drum kit with $500, the sound quality will be horrible, you might as well buy a Korg x5 synthesizer with that money, it'll have way better sounds than the E.kit you wanna buy..

Electronic kits are good when they cost more than $1000.
I put a dollar in a change machine. Nothing changed.
pros of an electric kit:
Takes up less space, much quieter

Cons:
excluding the really expensive ones, they sound like ****. Only the expensive ones have a rebound similar to real drums. You'll need to get real ones if you ever wanna join a band. Same goes for recording. Unless you're playing electronica

So, if you just wanna screw around inside your house, an electric kit is fine. If you have any further aspirations, I'd suggest an acoustic kit.
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."-Duke
I'd get an acoustic kit myself. Just set it up as a four-piece if you want it to be smaller. Electric kits really don't take up much less space if you set them up with the same spacing as an acoustic kit.
EDIT: As to actually recommending you a kit... I'd look around used. Go cheap on the actual shells and then get some new heads.
If you could blow up the world with a flick of a switch,
Would you do it?

If you could make everybody poor just so you could be rich,
Would you do it?

With all your power,
What would you do?
Last edited by Wayward_Son at Sep 1, 2007,
Quote by Wayward_Son
EDIT: As to actually recommending you a kit... I'd look around used. Go cheap on the actual shells and then get some new heads.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Any particular brands or models (do drums have models? lol?) to be looking out for?
Bring back Tabo
Quote by B345T
Thanks for the suggestion.

Any particular brands or models (do drums have models? lol?) to be looking out for?

Since your from Belfast i can advise you a bit better

I got my Yahama Rydeen from Marcus, but they are not very helpful in terms of buying parts etc.

You can buy cymbals and kits, hardware from Mattchetts.

To be honest i don't think they would sell kits in that price range there.