I just got an old Fender Deluxe Reverb from my friend and was wondering what year its from. Also is it worth it to rebuild it? I'd need to get new tubes, a speaker and a cabinet for it. i also have no idea if it works so what should i do?

just buy a new one. that thing looks like crap.

COMEDY! PROGRESSIVE! PUNK!

Quote by darkrikku

MY SETUP
ESP Ltd. F-100FM
DiMarzio PAF Pro DP151
John Pearse #2500 Strings
Crate GTX65
Behringer Ultrastack BG412H
Quote by DarthKarth
just buy a new one. that thing looks like crap.

Are you stupid? Seriously, those amps are magic. It's probably worth a decent amount of money too.
TideBleach - the main questions is does it work? You could just rehouse it in a new chassis, get a cap job, new tubes and other maintainence. If it doesn't work and you're not cool with working on a high voltage circuit, you could invest some money on taking it to a tech and having it restored that way.
"Everybody, one day will die and be forgotten. Act and behave in a way that will make life interesting and fun. Find a passion, form relationships, don't be afraid to get out there and fuck what everyone else thinks."
^^ You silly ass, it's a silverface PTP most likely handwired Deluxe Reverb! You don't buy a new one!

Anyway. It's most likely from 1967 or so, and definitely worth rebuilding. Go for it.
Quote by the_random_hero
Are you stupid? Seriously, those amps are magic. It's probably worth a decent amount of money too.
TideBleach - the main questions is does it work? You could just rehouse it in a new chassis, get a cap job, new tubes and other maintainence. If it doesn't work and you're not cool with working on a high voltage circuit, you could invest some money on taking it to a tech and having it restored that way.

ya im going to be taking it to a tech if its worth it to rebuild it. any rough estimates on how much it would cost to have it up and running, assuming all it needs is caps, tubes, cabinet and speaker?
^ I'd say around $500 to $700, depending on how much the cab and speaker are. They're really the deciding factor. If you get a used cab, it'd be even closer to $300, maybe even less if you get a really good deal.
well if you dont want it i know someone who does but seriosly that thing is AWESOME and DarthKarth is an idiot. New ones aren't nearly as good. you might consider leaving the caps and resistors stock, unless they are no good. really go for the vintage tone! good luck, and keep us posted
Quote by cokeisbetter
^ I'd say around $500 to $700, depending on how much the cab and speaker are. They're really the deciding factor. If you get a used cab, it'd be even closer to $300, maybe even less if you get a really good deal.

i can get an exact copy of a deluxe reverb combo 1x12 cab for $230 and id prolly get a celestion or jenson speaker for say $100. ya those are the expensive parts then $100 for tubes and who know for caps/service labour fees. yikes things add up fast.

any solid answers on what year this is from?

also what speaker would you recommend?
Sorry, I'm not too knowledgeable on speakers. Can you solder, though? If you can, redoing the caps wouldn't be too hard at all, and it'd be pretty inexpensive for materials. Less than $30, I'm sure.
Quote by cokeisbetter
Sorry, I'm not too knowledgeable on speakers. Can you solder, though? If you can, redoing the caps wouldn't be too hard at all, and it'd be pretty inexpensive for materials. Less than $30, I'm sure.

ya i can solder, ive modded a bunch of guitars, cabs and xboxs. im hoping the transformer is ok though.

oh ya id need to get a new reverb tank too since it didnt have one when i got it, thats another 30 or so.
Quote by s.r.v.
www.tubesandmore.com

they have reverb tanks, if you couldnt find one. i hope this works, and if it does we demand soundclips!

i'll definetly post soundclips if it works
Quote by TideBleach
also what speaker would you recommend?

e-mail ted weber. seriously. go look at his site www.tedweber.com
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
well, if it doesnt post a video of the explosion of tubes/caps etc and the fire that follows
Quote by s.r.v.
well, if it doesnt post a video of the explosion of tubes/caps etc and the fire that follows

hahaha i'll do that if it doesnt work
Quote by TideBleach
hahaha i'll do that if it doesnt work

The most important thing to get right is the polarity on the electrolytics and making sure all replacement components have a high voltage rating. Tube amps are pretty forgiving if you get something wrong.
"Everybody, one day will die and be forgotten. Act and behave in a way that will make life interesting and fun. Find a passion, form relationships, don't be afraid to get out there and fuck what everyone else thinks."
Quote by the_random_hero
The most important thing to get right is the polarity on the electrolytics and making sure all replacement components have a high voltage rating. Tube amps are pretty forgiving if you get something wrong.

thanks. this might take a while before i get it done, i need to get my jcm 900 fixed up and retubed it recently got all flubby and gross : (
wow i dont know much about amps but that looks pretty nice. id redo that definately i really wanna get an old amp and redo it now
I'd definitely rebuild that one. I have a 73 Super Reverb, great amp and I mostly rebuilt it 3-4 years ago when I got it. Also have a '74 Champ, greatest practice amp ever made, rebuilt it as well. I think the complete cap job for the Super was under $50, I did all the work myself, and I know how to solder very well, so I did a neat job. The filter caps did not need replacing, they were less than 5 years old, according to the repair sticker that was with it.

Replace all capacitors, especially the electrolytics. (Those are the white "Mallory" ones, and all the big blue ones, most techs prefer the Sprague "orange drop" caps for those. They MUST be the same capacitance value, (the white ones are 25uF or 35uF I think, that must be the same.) the voltage can be higher, but not lower.

Don't make any modifications yourself unless you are good with electronics, and know what to expect when you turn it on. Transformers are expensive and not hard to blow. And remember you're playing with over 400 volts in some spots, BE CAREFUL!

To date the amp, check the date codes on the transformers or potentiomaters. The Fender Amp Field Guide at http://www.ampwares.com/ffg/ffg_faq.html has some basic info, and http://www.tcguitar.com/articles/gagliano.html has a list on the last page that indicates this amp is about a 1976 model. Unless I mis-read the ID tags on the transformers, they are '75, so that fits.
Quote by Paleo Pete
I'd definitely rebuild that one. I have a 73 Super Reverb, great amp and I mostly rebuilt it 3-4 years ago when I got it. Also have a '74 Champ, greatest practice amp ever made, rebuilt it as well. I think the complete cap job for the Super was under $50, I did all the work myself, and I know how to solder very well, so I did a neat job. The filter caps did not need replacing, they were less than 5 years old, according to the repair sticker that was with it.

Replace all capacitors, especially the electrolytics. (Those are the white "Mallory" ones, and all the big blue ones, most techs prefer the Sprague "orange drop" caps for those. They MUST be the same capacitance value, (the white ones are 25uF or 35uF I think, that must be the same.) the voltage can be higher, but not lower.

Don't make any modifications yourself unless you are good with electronics, and know what to expect when you turn it on. Transformers are expensive and not hard to blow. And remember you're playing with over 400 volts in some spots, BE CAREFUL!

To date the amp, check the date codes on the transformers or potentiomaters. The Fender Amp Field Guide at http://www.ampwares.com/ffg/ffg_faq.html has some basic info, and http://www.tcguitar.com/articles/gagliano.html has a list on the last page that indicates this amp is about a 1976 model. Unless I mis-read the ID tags on the transformers, they are '75, so that fits.

thanks those sites helped. i got 75-76 from them too.
You're welcome, those sites are some of the results of lots of hours digging for info to fix up those two amps, a power adapter splitter for my pedalboard, dates and other info on several guitars and saxes I have, that kind of thing. Still takes me a bit to find things sometimes, and I get sidetracked too, since I'm also usually poking around for computer repair info, camera repair, astronomy sites, and whatever else happens to jump out at me...

The Super was working but after 10-15 minutes it would drop to half power as if you pulled a power tube. Still sounded ok and would play all night, but at half volume or less. Hours and hours of searching never pulled up any good suggestions for that particular problem except one educated guess that it might be a bad transformer. I thought that was a very good possibility too. It turned out to be capacitors, and I found out by chance, when I decided to change all the over 30 year old, dried out caps. Soldered in the last one and it has worked like a Super Reverb should ever since, played it onstage for the past 3 years.

That's how I originally stumbled into this site, been poking around here occasionally for at least 2 years I think, only recently started to focus some time and attention to forums such as this one, after burning myself out for quite a while on a computer related forum. this amp got me curious so I looked up some info on it. I've played a couple of Deluxe Reverbs at a local shop, if you get it fixed up and working it's a great sounding low wattage amp, (22 watts) quite sufficient for small clubs, and I've seen at least one mic'd into the PA at a large BB King Festival. (No, it wasn't BB's amp, he was playing through a Lab Series 2x12 combo.)

Also if you want to go there, a couple of fairly easy mods can be done to bring the bass back into controllable range and get back the high, chimy, tinkly sounds filtered out by a couple of caps CBS added. Reigning in the bass was a necessity with my Super, it was just way too much. With the bass knob on 2 it was boomy and overbearing. Now I run it on 6 and it's perfect. One cap, 5 minute job.

As mentioned before though, don't even think about it unless you have a healthy respect for electricity, some of the capacitors can hold deadly voltage for a couple of months if not drained. While running it's pumping over 400 volts to some sections of the circuitry, that's even more dangerous. Not a place to tinker lightly...
Quote by Paleo Pete
You're welcome, those sites are some of the results of lots of hours digging for info to fix up those two amps, a power adapter splitter for my pedalboard, dates and other info on several guitars and saxes I have, that kind of thing. Still takes me a bit to find things sometimes, and I get sidetracked too, since I'm also usually poking around for computer repair info, camera repair, astronomy sites, and whatever else happens to jump out at me...

The Super was working but after 10-15 minutes it would drop to half power as if you pulled a power tube. Still sounded ok and would play all night, but at half volume or less. Hours and hours of searching never pulled up any good suggestions for that particular problem except one educated guess that it might be a bad transformer. I thought that was a very good possibility too. It turned out to be capacitors, and I found out by chance, when I decided to change all the over 30 year old, dried out caps. Soldered in the last one and it has worked like a Super Reverb should ever since, played it onstage for the past 3 years.

That's how I originally stumbled into this site, been poking around here occasionally for at least 2 years I think, only recently started to focus some time and attention to forums such as this one, after burning myself out for quite a while on a computer related forum. this amp got me curious so I looked up some info on it. I've played a couple of Deluxe Reverbs at a local shop, if you get it fixed up and working it's a great sounding low wattage amp, (22 watts) quite sufficient for small clubs, and I've seen at least one mic'd into the PA at a large BB King Festival. (No, it wasn't BB's amp, he was playing through a Lab Series 2x12 combo.)

Also if you want to go there, a couple of fairly easy mods can be done to bring the bass back into controllable range and get back the high, chimy, tinkly sounds filtered out by a couple of caps CBS added. Reigning in the bass was a necessity with my Super, it was just way too much. With the bass knob on 2 it was boomy and overbearing. Now I run it on 6 and it's perfect. One cap, 5 minute job.

As mentioned before though, don't even think about it unless you have a healthy respect for electricity, some of the capacitors can hold deadly voltage for a couple of months if not drained. While running it's pumping over 400 volts to some sections of the circuitry, that's even more dangerous. Not a place to tinker lightly...

It's great to see some newer members who are willing to do a bit of research for themselves, then are able to pass on that information to some older members. Welcome to GB&C!
Makes me feel like the forums aren't turning to shit
hey random hero where have you been? i havent seen you around. and whats the plan for this amp?
Quote by s.r.v.
hey random hero where have you been? i havent seen you around. and whats the plan for this amp?

I've been getting ridiculously drunk over the weekend I had a 19th and an 18th birthday party to go to in another state, that's eaten up a few days.
First thing I'd do for this amp is drain then replace all the electrolytic caps. After that's done, it's time to do some upgrading/modding of the other components. After that, start with the cosmetic/less important aspects of the restoration (new transformers, tubes, chassis, etc).
Quote by s.r.v.

i just want to get it up and running so i can use it for its cleans and my jcm 900 for distortion. they both need to be serviced, so now its a choice of which one to get serviced first, most likely jcm 900 since its what i use 99% of the time. but ill definetly be getting this one up and running : )
does anyone have any mods that i should do to this after its up and running?
i dont know about mods, but what condition is the tolex of the head in? maybe you should look into new head cabinets aswell, www.tedweber.com might make one custom for it
^ted is a spectacular personel i must say.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by s.r.v.
i dont know about mods, but what condition is the tolex of the head in? maybe you should look into new head cabinets aswell, www.tedweber.com might make one custom for it

i need to get a cab/or head for it all i have is the amp. ill look into that.
i just brought it into my tech and he said the power transformer is shot and needs a few other small things replaced. but he can fix it up for about $300. my friend and i are going to build a cab so hopefully i'll have this up and running soon.
Quote by TideBleach
i just brought it into my tech and he said the power transformer is shot and needs a few other small things replaced. but he can fix it up for about $300. my friend and i are going to build a cab so hopefully i'll have this up and running soon.

Sweet, I was just thinking of this thread the other day
You know that you as long as you take it slow, you could probably replace the power transformer and other components yourself for around $150 less than he's quoted. It's understandable if you don't want to touch some of the HV stuff, it can be rather dangerous.
Quote by the_random_hero
Sweet, I was just thinking of this thread the other day
You know that you as long as you take it slow, you could probably replace the power transformer and other components yourself for around $150 less than he's quoted. It's understandable if you don't want to touch some of the HV stuff, it can be rather dangerous.

oops forgot to say the 300 is with new tubes. so all in all i think its a reasonable price. ill definetly look into seeing what i can do myself. he made my jcm 900 sound so much better than it ever has so his work is top notch.
You're gonna be very happy Tidebleach....Nice find. I was going to give you the guy's number who did my Super....he's a real wiz...used to be the front door sound guy for Prairie Oyster, but it's good you've already got somebody on the job. Looking forward to seeing pics/hearing soundclips when it's done.

If he suggests filter caps etc...do em all. It's just about the right age for a bunch of them to be drying out.
82 Ibanez artist ar105
94 Fender MIJ 72 tele custom reissue
04 prs se soapbar singlecut
97 Simon & Patrick pro flame maple
05 Art & Lutherie cedar 12
Custom Strat

68 Fender Super Reverb
78 Traynor TS200
80's Roland Cube20
does anyone know the specs for the orignal cab for a deluxe reverb? my friend and i are going to build one but we just need the specs.

thanks
Looking at the components, I think it's from the mid 70's.

The power transformer is non-original, and the wrong type as well, so definitely replace that. Also replace all the caps under the metal cover on the bottom of the chassis (right next to the tubes). The smaller white caps on the circuitboards need to be replaced, too. The power plug is broken anyway, so you need a new three-prong plug there.

The new components should be of similar value, and voltage ratings should preferably be higher, but not necessarily. Some of the wiring looks kind of dodgy (although that isn't unusual for 70's Fenders), so make sure your tech takes a look at that (specifically those wires that are tied together).

PS- It's a GREAT amp, so definitely get it working.
Quote by TideBleach
does anyone know the specs for the orignal cab for a deluxe reverb? my friend and i are going to build one but we just need the specs.

thanks
The dimensions vary a bit according to the series (blackface, silverface, DR2, Reissue).

Outside dimensions in inches: W x H x D

blackface: 17-1/2 x 24 x 9-1/2

silverface: 17 x 24 1/2 x 9-1/2

Deluxe Reverb II: 18-1/4 x 23-5/8 x 11-1/4

'65 Deluxe Reverb reissue: 17-1/2 x 24-1/2 x 9-1/2

The one pictured here is obviously a silverface.
That put it between 1968 and early 1980
This from the Fender Field Amp Guide:
A "Boost" pull switch was added to the Volume control around '77.
A Line Out jack added to back panel around `79.

I would read as much as you can about this amp. Consider having it "Blackfaced" Not the panel itself, but the circuit. There are minor differences in the circuit used here and the AB 763 version. That seems to be the one of preference among Fender fanatics.

http://www.ampwares.com/ffg/schem/deluxe_reverb_ab763_schem.gif

http://www.ampwares.com/ffg/schem/deluxe_reverb_ab763_layout.gif

http://www.ampwares.com/ffg/
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

The one pictured here is obviously a silverface.
That put it between 1968 and early 1980
This from the Fender Field Amp Guide:
A "Boost" pull switch was added to the Volume control around '77.
A Line Out jack added to back panel around `79.

The components are all the same as in my '75/76 Champ, and they would vary quite a lot year by year, so I think it's quite safe to say that it was made somewhere around that time too.