A couple questions I have:

1. Say youre using any head, and you switch to to completly different 4X12 cabs. Different brand and everything. Will it have a HUGE impact on tone? What sort of effects will it have?

2. Does the cabinet depend on its speakers? Say I took a 2X12 and replaced the speakers with 2 completly different speakers. Is that enough to change the sound considerably?

3. Is it beter to build your own cab? If youre looking for your unique tone and have a set of speakers ready, is it worth it? Would the wiring become too complex (Im 15 but Im good with tools) and ruin the whole thing?

Thanks
Quote by nedthehead

1. Say youre using any head, and you switch to to completly different 4X12 cabs. Different brand and everything. Will it have a HUGE impact on tone? What sort of effects will it have?

2. Does the cabinet depend on its speakers? Say I took a 2X12 and replaced the speakers with 2 completly different speakers. Is that enough to change the sound considerably?

3. Is it beter to build your own cab? If youre looking for your unique tone and have a set of speakers ready, is it worth it? Would the wiring become too complex (Im 15 but Im good with tools) and ruin the whole thing?

Thanks

I don't know much on this subject, so hopefully someone else can help you, but in response to number 3..
I've thought of building my own cabinet. The wiring isn't the problem - the accoustics of the cabinet would be the problem.
Main gear (For complete list, see profile):
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plain-top
Basswood Telecaster, 2 single-sized HB's, both split.
Epiphone Valve Junior
B-52 AT-412 Cabinet
Oh, and I have a Squier VM Jazz Bass too.
1. it depends on what you switch to. and more than likely it will, but only a little depending again on what you switch to.

2. and it shouldn't change the sound COMPLETELY, if its the same brand then it'll probably just be louder...

3. if you want to build your own cab, and you have confidence: GO FOR IT!! you'll never be happy until you get the tone that best suites you.

COMEDY! PROGRESSIVE! PUNK!

Quote by darkrikku

MY SETUP
ESP Ltd. F-100FM
DiMarzio PAF Pro DP151
John Pearse #2500 Strings
Crate GTX65
Behringer Ultrastack BG412H
Lol, dont build your own. Especially since your 15. Unless your dad or someone you know is reallllly good with electronics.
if say you had v30s in a mesa which are expensive than a v 30 loaded marshall is it a huge diference?
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
Lol, dont build your own. Especially since your 15. Unless your dad or someone you know is reallllly good with electronics.

My dads in construction, my uncles a carpenter... so I guess the wiring is difficult?
Quote by nedthehead
My dads in construction, my uncles a carpenter... so I guess the wiring is difficult?

meh, as long as you have some manuals or formal teachings and basic knowledge, GO FOR IT!!

COMEDY! PROGRESSIVE! PUNK!

Quote by darkrikku

MY SETUP
ESP Ltd. F-100FM
DiMarzio PAF Pro DP151
John Pearse #2500 Strings
Crate GTX65
Behringer Ultrastack BG412H
The wireing isnt hard at all, its the acoustics. Yes, speaker make a large diffrence. So does the wood the cab is made out of, and many many other things.
well..i hate a valveking head with my crate 412 (celstion rocket 50s) its muddy to much bass and mids

i use a marshall 1960a cab its to sweet
Stop Reading My Signature

Gear:
Schecter C-1 Blackjack w/ EMG 81/85 PA2
Schecter C-1 Classic
Carvin V3m
Boss GE-7
Boss DD-3
Quote by nedthehead

Thanks

1. YES every speaker have their characteristics. different size cabs would make the difference too.

2. Partially yes. Speakers would change a lot. some have the BIG FAT bottom end, and some have really chimey high end. some can be fat and woody like Alnico Blues too.

3. It depends. if you're good at wood work, have the time, stuff like that, it would be okay. It would be cost effective, but i like making/building stuff, so i say go for it. I'm planning to build a vox type 2x12 cab in the near future too.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Good thread, thank you for posting it! I had a few similar questions. Though, I have already built my 2x12 cabby
Origonally Posted by Lauke_101
And you're right

Gibson>Moog>KJL>Homebrew 2x12

Saving 4 any one of these:
Soldano Hot Rod
Splawn (anything)
Laney GH50L
Cornford Roadhouse
Marshall JCM2000
KJL 4x12 to match KJL head
Dude, this thread is forever f*cking old. quit bumping old threads.
I'm putting my GAS on hold
for a couple months in order to pimp my ride.

Don't judge me.
???? I was saying thanks for starting it.....not bumping it???????
Origonally Posted by Lauke_101
And you're right

Gibson>Moog>KJL>Homebrew 2x12

Saving 4 any one of these:
Soldano Hot Rod
Splawn (anything)
Laney GH50L
Cornford Roadhouse
Marshall JCM2000
KJL 4x12 to match KJL head