Hey guys, me and a friend of mine decided to shield my HSS strat, since we were bored and were pretty sure of what we were supposed to do. So we cover the insides with aluminum foil, and also remove my middle single coil. But, now my humbucker only plays when facing the ceiling. Otherwise it doesn't make any noise. My neck pick up works fine though. Can someone please shine some light on the situation and hopefully help me out? thx in advance
Quote by Mauri_wario
I would indeed "fap that thaing", but my dog is looking at me and it feels highly iinappropriate.
Quote by tbsff_7
good luck with that! if the world have a nuclear war 3 things would survive; cockroaches, twinkies, and boss pedals
Quote by vintageisbetter
grounding out... id use copper or bronze

I didn't think that aluminum would cut it, but he insisted, and yeah no noise :]

How can i fix that?
Quote by Mauri_wario
I would indeed "fap that thaing", but my dog is looking at me and it feels highly iinappropriate.
Quote by tbsff_7
good luck with that! if the world have a nuclear war 3 things would survive; cockroaches, twinkies, and boss pedals
Quote by /Qwertytrewq\
I didn't think that aluminum would cut it, but he insisted, and yeah no noise :]

How can i fix that?

Take insurance out on it, go to a gig, play on the neck, be like Jimi Hendrix and pretend its broken, light it on fire, smash on stage, get new guitar.
Play the man, Master Ridley; we shall this day light such a candle, by God's grace, in England, as I trust shall never be put out.
http://www.guitarnuts.com/wiring/shielding/shield3.php

^the ULTIMATE shielding page, troubleshoot there.
BTW aluminum foil does work the best.

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
Quote by jthm_guitarist
http://www.guitarnuts.com/wiring/shielding/shield3.php

^the ULTIMATE shielding page, troubleshoot there.
BTW aluminum foil does work the best.

I guess I'll just open it back up and check for any loose ends, especially the ground. Thx
Quote by Mauri_wario
Quote by tbsff_7
Last edited by /Qwertytrewq\ at Sep 2, 2007,
I warned you against doing it.
FOR AWESOME HANDWOUND PICKUPS, CONTACT CorduroyEW
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123
Good for you. Have a cookie.

But really... there's no cookie. And if there was, you wouldn't get one.
Quote by CORT noob
I warned you against doing it.

Quote by Mauri_wario
Quote by tbsff_7
Quote by /Qwertytrewq\

How can i fix that?

You cant solder to aluminum so grounding the sheilding when you use aluminum foil can be difficult but it can work. If you don't ground your sheilding then it makes hum worse not better.

Threadstarter. Your humbucker is grounding out on the foil. Look inside the guitar and make sure the shilding isn't touching anything it isn't supposed to.
Not taking any online orders.
^ We didnt do a very neat job, should we use that special sticky sheilding stuff? Or will standard kitchen aluminum foil cut it?
FOR AWESOME HANDWOUND PICKUPS, CONTACT CorduroyEW
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123
Good for you. Have a cookie.

But really... there's no cookie. And if there was, you wouldn't get one.
You've got aluminum foil touching something its not supposed to. There's probably nothing wrong with using the foil you used... you just need to open it up, examine loose points and secure it so nothing is hitting the back of the pots, the sides of the switch, etc...

The fact that it works at one angle tells me the foil is falling back into place at that angle. Open it up, turn it upside down, and see what moves.
All my photobucket pics are dead so no links to my guitar build threads.
My Music
Quote by CORT noob
^ We didnt do a very neat job, should we use that special sticky sheilding stuff? Or will standard kitchen aluminum foil cut it?

Standard kitchen aluminum foil will work but you need some double sided tape or something so that it can be held in place. If you don't tack it down then it's going to move around and ground stuff that you don't want grounded.
Not taking any online orders.