Hey folks,

I could use a hand figuring out what I'm doing wrong...

I've been playing for about two weeks now, I'm able to play simple chords, power chords, and I can play Alkaline Trio's "Radio" fairly well, to give you all an idea of where I sit.

anyways my problem is currently switching chords, when I switch I the strings are getting pulled off as I switch, to clarify I'll play the power chord fine and the note sounds fine, but then as I take my fingers off the strings the open strings sound and hum. it quiet, but noticeable, with distortion on the amp on, it's even worse...

I'll then swicth to the second chord and play it fine, so the sound is:

1st chord - open strings(quiet) - 2nd chord

So the main question is what am I doing wrong? am I taking my fingers off the notes to hard or is this normal?

and assuming that this isn't normal, what could I practice to end this?

thanks guys
My Gear:

Guitar #1: 1997 Fender MIM Strat
Guitar #2: 2007 Epi SG (G-310)

Effects: Roland DS-1 Distortion (for switching in distortion quickly, NOT cause I want a "l33t brootalz tonz!")
Amp: Roland Microcube
It just comes with time, your fingers will learn how soft or gentle they have to be. It'll be annoying now, but it just comes with time. I recommend silencing the string (assuming its the top E string) with your middle finger since that isn't used much in a power chord. But thats just my opinion.
It's always best to play things without distortion first. When you can play cleanly on clean, then turn on distortion. As for switching chords, it takes time to get a feel. I would also recommend using your right palm (assuming you play right handed) to mute the open e.
Gear:
Jackson Pro Series DK2 Dinky (Eerie Dess Swirl)
Ibanez XPT700 Xiphos (Chameleon Red) =D

Crate FXT65 amp with 3-way foot switch
Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah Pedal
Quote by MurderWorship
It's always best to play things without distortion first. When you can play cleanly on clean, then turn on distortion. As for switching chords, it takes time to get a feel. I would also recommend using your right palm (assuming you play right handed) to mute the open e.

thanks for the responses guys,

I'm confused though, why mute the low E? and what happens if I have to play the low E like in this tab?

E ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
B ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
G ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
D ----9--9--9--9--9--9--9--9---7--7--7--7--7--7--7--7--5--5--5--5--5--5--5--5--5--5--5--5--7----------------
A ----9--9--9--9--9--9--9--9---7--7--7--7--7--7--7--7--5--5--5--5--5--5--5--5--5--5--5--5--7----------------
E ----7--7--7--7--7--7--7--7---5--5--5--5--5--5--5--5--3--3--3--3--3--3--3--3--3--3--3--3--5----------------

and just for the record I very rarely actually use distortion, when I do it's mostly for when I get to the "fun and fooling around" portion of when I sit down if I even use it at all....
My Gear:

Guitar #1: 1997 Fender MIM Strat
Guitar #2: 2007 Epi SG (G-310)

Effects: Roland DS-1 Distortion (for switching in distortion quickly, NOT cause I want a "l33t brootalz tonz!")
Amp: Roland Microcube
Quote by BMGfan
thanks for the responses guys,

I'm confused though, why mute the low E? and what happens if I have to play the low E like in this tab?

E ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
B ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
G ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
D ----9--9--9--9--9--9--9--9---7--7--7--7--7--7--7--7--5--5--5--5--5--5--5--5--5--5--5--5--7----------------
A ----9--9--9--9--9--9--9--9---7--7--7--7--7--7--7--7--5--5--5--5--5--5--5--5--5--5--5--5--7----------------
E ----7--7--7--7--7--7--7--7---5--5--5--5--5--5--5--5--3--3--3--3--3--3--3--3--3--3--3--3--5----------------

and just for the record I very rarely actually use distortion, when I do it's mostly for when I get to the "fun and fooling around" portion of when I sit down if I even use it at all....

I thought you meant you changed strings. In that case, just make sure you slide along with strings with just enough pressure to prevent any vibrating.
Gear:
Jackson Pro Series DK2 Dinky (Eerie Dess Swirl)
Ibanez XPT700 Xiphos (Chameleon Red) =D

Crate FXT65 amp with 3-way foot switch
Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah Pedal
your problem might be that your pressing the notes down to hard or that your fingers are too fat,just to relax when your playing and treat it as though your enjoying yourself like on the beach,and just relax,take your time and play soothely.And if that does not work,try sliding off the strings,cos if your press too hard,your fingers will tend to ''stick'' onto the strings and when released,will make sounds.And for those 3strings chords,don't mute anything if theres actually a number?slide for power chords,don't release den start another power chord,it'll sound awful cos your stopping the flow of sound if you let go of the string,unless the next power chord is on a difference set of strings..don't worry little buddy,you'll learn how to let go without letting the strings sound eventually,it all takes experience,just keep playing and enjoy yourself