First of all, sorry if this is the wrong forum.

If not... My semi-recently formed band has decided that we need a PA system of our own. Nothing incredibly fancy, but we've all worked really hard making sure we have the right gear and knowledge to get the sound we want out of our instruments and we are tired of having to fiddle with different PAs throughout each of our sets. Basically, we need to run one vocal mic and a keyboard through the PA. Depending on what prices are looking like, we might want to mic the kick drum and throw one more microphone into the mix for occasional harmonies and such.

We don't want anything cheap, we want it to be sturdy and to sound professional (or professional enough). On the other hand, we're all sixteen year olds working minimum wage jobs. We already have microphones, we just need to find speakers, a mixer, cables, and whatever else makes up a PA system that I don't understand at this point .

So can anybody point me in the right direction here? Any suggestions are welcome. Thanks.

EDIT: Whoever moved my thread, thanks .
[SIZE=
Last edited by SupImJimmy at Sep 2, 2007,
...I'm no expert but I help out at my church a lot with sound so I think I know a little bit

basically I think you need a powered mixer, appropriately sized monitors, and some cables
...that should be about it

that could run you somewhere like

$150.00 and up for a powered mixer, anywhere from $40.00 and up for monitors seperately, and probably around $50.00 in cables

... you could go with all in one packages, something usable starts at about $300.00

... so that's all I got
Gear:
Ibanez JS100
03 Squier Strat
1980 Ovation Matrix Accoustic
Peavey Valveking 112
Washburn T-14 Taurus (Bass)
SWR Working Pro 100 watt bass amp
Last edited by juniorfr3ak at Sep 2, 2007,
Alrighty.... so a decent PA isn't going to run me as much as I think it will, will it? I was anticipating somewhere around $750 (US), I don't know why.
[SIZE=
^ a good setup will run you around that price.
and its best to get a good setup so it recreates the best sound but if you can get one or two Behringer KX1200 PA amps and a small mixer you should have a nice setup for now at a fair price.

KX1200s are not sold anymore now...they did go for $200 though
so have a look around Craigslist.org or eBay for a few good deals.
I run live sound as a part time job (kinda goes on along with my other part time job as an audio engineer), so I may be of some use - but I need to know what this is for. Is it for gigs? For band practice? Annoying the neighbors? : )
PM Me for any help you need with recording systems/tips
Quote by BrianApocalypse
Good call

Man, you should be a mod, you know everything.

Quote by thrice_removed
I run live sound as a part time job (kinda goes on along with my other part time job as an audio engineer), so I may be of some use - but I need to know what this is for. Is it for gigs? For band practice? Annoying the neighbors? : )

All of the above, I guess. haha

Obviously we are not gonna to be filling stadiums with sound, but we'd like to use it to play medium-sized venues, say bars, churches, etc.
[SIZE=
Ok typically any venue worth playing will have its own PA which will be better than one you can afford (and besides you typically don't want to have to lug around your own PA), but if you set on buying one this is what I would recommend for small - medium gigs.

2 Yorkville YX12 - 200w 12"+1.4 and stands http://www.audioeast.com/monitors.htm

Yamaha MG16 mixing board http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Yamaha-MG164-16Input-4Bus-Mixer?sku=630051

16 channel audio snake

Assorted cables and mics

^This is a VERY basic PA system and going any cheaper than this will not be worth it at all. As is this system is really only appropriate for somewhat small gigs - but it shouldn't be a bad SOUNDING system quality wise - but don't expect it to be pumping out 120 db's.
PM Me for any help you need with recording systems/tips
Quote by BrianApocalypse
Good call

Man, you should be a mod, you know everything.