so a few days ago i decided to defret my old SX bass because i hardly ever use it any more and it looked like this:

so i started by taking the strings off

then i used masking tape around the frets to attempt to prevent any damage

half way taking frets off, i realized that SX basses have no glue holding the frets in place to heating it up with the soldering iron was futile

then i got to much into the project and forgot that i was gunna take pictures at each stage so skip till all the frets are out, sanding is done and i've put the wood filler in and waiting for the filler to dry. then i realize i didnt take any pictures >_<
so here is the fretboard with tons of wood filler on it. yes i know im very sloppy.

then the filler dries and i sand it all down nice and smooth so here is the final product

im very happy with the result
Dude that is awsome. I am going to do that with my old one when I get my new bass. any tip or stuff to tell me before doing this?
Wow. That looks nice. I hope it turned out better than the fretless SX I bought. =/
Quote by Yerjam
Could be, but the most important thing to remember is that it wasn't your fault, even if it was.
What did you use to finish the fretboard. I bought some tung oil for the back of the neck (sanded it down too), but I've heard orange oil or lemon oil work better than tung.
Last.FM

Quote by Applehead
There are some things in life that are universally "good":

Sex, pizza, the smell of fresh washing and slap bass.
Dude that is awsome. I am going to do that with my old one when I get my new bass. any tip or stuff to tell me before doing this?

well i followed this guide http://www.geocities.com/charlesarms/
he didnt use woodfiller but i think woodfiller looks fine to me. i guess it depends on how much time youre willing to spend on it. oh and all the site recommend lemon oil before and after but i went to a luthier and they said olive oil also get the job done, so you dont need to go out and buy lemon oil, just go raid the kitchen.

Wow. That looks nice. I hope it turned out better than the fretless SX I bought. =/

dude it sounds 120876408141 times better then i expected... but maybe i had low expectations. i donno but im really loving it right now

like ska?

yep yep i like most kinds of rock expect metal. indie grunge punk ska ect
Quote by Confused4930
What did you use to finish the fretboard. I bought some tung oil for the back of the neck (sanded it down too), but I've heard orange oil or lemon oil work better than tung.

like i said in the last post the luthier recommended i use olive oil. and works perfectly. altough it smells a bit funky im sure it'll go away in a few days.
Is that bass intonated correctly in the first pic? Most basses I've seen have the saddles pulled much farther back, and they do the 'stairway' thing.

Oh yeah, that's really awesome.

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
I don't think I even have any olive oil in the house....I'll go for lemon oil and get back to you
Last.FM

Quote by Applehead

for wood filler i used "FAMOWOOD #1 professional WOOD filler" and got the ash color. there was like 10 different wood colors to choose from

dude, confused, i went to like 4 different guitar shops and none of them had lemon oil, they had more other random fretboard cleaner but no "lemon oil" is that not a guitar product?
Lemon oil is more of a kitchen product if I remember correctly. I know my mom has a bottle in the kitchen.
Last.FM

Quote by Applehead

^That's because you must be posh

Nice work TS, I was expecting a messy result, but it turned out real good. Well done.
The will to neither strive nor cry,
The power to feel with others give.
Calm, calm me more; nor let me die
Before I have begun to live.

-Matthew Arnold

Arguments are to be avoided; they are always vulgar and often convincing.
Nice job

How's it sounding?
Quote by Demonikk
+1
I live by the method: 3 or less orange warning labels, and it's safe as a kitten

Quote by Charlatan_001
EDIT: Sammcl pretty much got it dead on.
Looks good

Noob question here though, how far down do the inlays go? did you just sand right over them?
Quote by charvel_man
"My lovely lady lumps"
What the **** are lady lumps? What does she have, breast cancer?

Bacchus basses FTW!
www.japanvintageguitars.com
I like the less than jake and sublime stickers

Hows the sound out of a fretless lower end instrument? Im considering to it to one, but I'm not sure if its going to be worth it?
Nice job. I'm thinking of converting my 4-string (so that I might actually use it). I just would have to go by me some flatwounds.
I am a lucid dream to the illusionary slumber
Wading in a cesspool of forgotten memory
An insignificant host to the collective subconscious

~Sacred Slumber
wow you did a really good job on that....wanna do mine for me? jk. congrats on the great job there man. how long did that take you in all?
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775
Fender p bass special deluxe

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
listen to revelation, for he is wise in the way of bass-fu

Noob question here though, how far down do the inlays go? did you just sand right over them?

actually i have no idea how far the inlays go, but i just sanded right over them and had no problem. theyre nice and flat with the rest of the fretboard.

how long did that take you in all?

uhhh i had lots of breaks inbetween but in all i guess about 5 hours. well worth it. was a very fun project
thats so nice, i wanna make mine fretless once i get a new one, is it really hard to get the frets out?
nice job im gonna b taking the frets off mine once my flats come in and wouldnt it make more sense to leave the tape on while puting the filler in so it doesnt get on the fingerboard
That is one awesome job you did. if you ever get sound clips of it, I'd love to hear em.
Quote by gravytrain34
nice job im gonna b taking the frets off mine once my flats come in and wouldnt it make more sense to leave the tape on while puting the filler in so it doesnt get on the fingerboard

no you slather it on good and really push it in and then you sand down the fretboard afterwords to get off the excess wood filler.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775
Fender p bass special deluxe

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
listen to revelation, for he is wise in the way of bass-fu
im going to get a new bass like in a week or two. do u think i should take the frets out of my old first act guitar? or should i keep it the way it is cuz its my first bass? i prob;y wont hav to adjust my truss bar much if i do, right?
Quote by SeveralSpecies
How the f*ck are you gonna get a cat to bark?

---------------------------5------8-----7-
----------------5-------------------------
------------------1-3-3-------/6----/5----
-1/3--1-1h3-------------------------------

Matt Freeman>You
Quote by TheBassMan3
im going to get a new bass like in a week or two. do u think i should take the frets out of my old first act guitar? or should i keep it the way it is cuz its my first bass? i prob;y wont hav to adjust my truss bar much if i do, right?

Well only defret it it if you think you can utilize the sound and feel of a fretless. And no you probably won't have to adjust it much.
k thanks
Quote by SeveralSpecies
How the f*ck are you gonna get a cat to bark?

---------------------------5------8-----7-
----------------5-------------------------
------------------1-3-3-------/6----/5----
-1/3--1-1h3-------------------------------

Matt Freeman>You