How do you come up with melodies for the vocal parts? I can write chord progressions, I can write lyrics, I can write guitar and other instrumental melodies, but I can't really find a way to come up with good vocal melodies. How do you all come up vocal melodies?
i look at the key of the song, whether it's major or minor, look at the chords, and just kinda use notes in that scale/chord progression as the vocal melody. kinda like a solo, but with a voice instead of guitar
Dragon Force is right, if you keep the vocal melody note as a note that is in the chord it's being sung over, things will work out better, probably.

The other thing is your melody needs a good contour, or shape. If you understand sheet music, you can look and see almost like a cuve. Gradually up and gradually back down. You'll be able to hear that it sounds better than a melody that kind of 'bounces' or doesn't really move at all.

Good luck, vocal melodies are tough.
I play the guitar part(could be other part) that I want the melody over. And just think of something and as I go write lyrics to the melody I think of.

Another way Is I get my lyrics and play the part of the song and read the lyrics in my head by improvising a melody with them, eventually something comes out.
Quote by BigFatSandwich
it took you 15 consecutive hours of practice to realize that playing guitar makes you better at playing guitar. congratulations.

Quote by snowbert
SMOKE UN-DER WATER!!!