Hello,

I have decided to have a go at something new and try surfing. I want to get a board, dont care how crappy it is i just want a cheap board to mess around with.

Can anyone give me some tips on what to look for when buying a board?
I have skated for a while so ive kinda got that sort of stuff undercontrol but i ride goofy foot, will that matter?

I know nothing at all, any help much appreciated,
thanks!
Get a softtop foam board thats about 7' to 8' long. They are cheap and good beginners boards. The only real downside to them is if you don't wear a rashgaurd, your nipples will fall off bloodied. Since those sizes are pretty much long boards, it's easier to catch waves because it requires less paddling so you pick up speed better and it seems easier to balance on. Oh, you can't really carve on them either, but at least you'll learn how to surf. Good luck!
Quote by Reverb X
I think you should touch your penis. It solves all problems.

Quote by JimmyPageda2nd
My penis is not huge.

EDIT: If anyone sigs that, I'll beat their ass.

Member of the Nobody Club:We Don't Matter Enough To Have Titles. PM gunther_sucks to join
doesnt matter whther your goofy or regular - beginers will find it difficult whther they have skated or not it is differant its good fun tho and should only take a few hours before ur standing and riding the wave - get a board thats right for your height just ask when your buying one

foam board and rashy = good idea
You should go for the soft-top board, or go on a board depending on your weight and height. If your going to look to get straight into it, you should get a 7 foot long, 18.5 inches wide and about 1.5 inches thick.
When your standing, you need to get your weight onto your front foot a bit more, but when your riding you'll be leaning on your back foot alot, just dont put too much weight on either one.
Oh, and skating and riding a moving surface are two completely different feelings.
Quote by Vornik
Thanks for the advice. I'm going to put it, along with your other advice, into a book, the pages of which I will then use to wipe my ass.
thanks everyone ill definately look into those boards. Now im back to square one! I do alot of longboarding and skating inspired from the 70's..you know lords of dogtown stuff since it involves alot of pools and carving i was hoping i would have some idea. Oh well its a new challenge!
thanks so much everyone for the advice!