Hey guys, I'm currently using a Mesa/Boogie Express 5:25 along with a heavily modified Squier strat with EMGs in it, along with an Ibanez WD-7 (which is rarely ever used, I'm looking into getting a Morley soon). Anyway, I have a great clean tone dialed into my amp, as well as an amazing modern high gain distortion dialed into the other channel, and I'm looking for an overdrive/distortion pedal that can get me some nice classic rock tones.

I've been looking at Tubescreamers, but I don't believe that those have true bypass. I'm also not too sure as to what the difference between the Tubescreamer and the 808 reissue is, except for the price difference.

I've seen the Maxon ones, but those also don't appear to have true bypass, and I'm not sure how much they color the sound.

And theres also Electro Harmonix. There's the Big Muff which does have true bypass, and so does the English Muffn'. From what I've heard, the Big Muff is more for.. well, BIG MUFF tone, while the English Muffn' is for more 60's-70's light/mid distortion, or basically classic rock tones in general. Only thing is its over twice the price of the Big Muff. Is it worth it?

If you guys could tell me more about those or maybe give some more suggestions that'd be great. As for a price range... probably around 150 tops, (even though the English Muffn' is higher. I'd probably have to wait longer for that, I dont' have enough ATM).

Thanks in advance.
Fulltone OCD. u posted $150... but u said probably. add tax, it'll come out just a bit more than $150. get it.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
I've heard great things about those, I can't believe I forgot. Does it feature true bypass?
yes. all Fulltone pedals feature true bypass.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Full Bypass isn't all that it's cracked up to be

You shouldn't have full bypass on every last one of your pedals

The amount of wiring it takes to make most pedals full bypass usually decompose the signal just as bad as (sometimes worse) then just leaving it normal.

There are of course pedals you should almost definitely have fully bypassed. Wah Wah's the only one that comes to mind.

But unh for Od's.

Pretty much anything Electro Harmonix pumps out, Tube screamers are always good (the reissue just has a special chip in it which can be bought separate and added later), Fulltone makes some awesome boutique pedals, Robert Keeley also has some great stuff.
Leader of The Cult of Echoes, for those who believe 23 min. of Pink Floyd Epicness just isn't enough.

Pm Alex the Red if you're interested

I'm a member I Pignose Amps Club. PM Woodenbanman if your interested.
^some pedals have good buffered bypass. but tubescreamers don't have good buffers. they have horrible bypass. mine is true bypass though.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
I think I'm between the OCD and the English Muffin right now, I'm going to see if any shops on the island have them to try out. Thanks for the help guys.
Hey joe.

You live in Honolulu, right? Well, stop by Dan's Guitar and ask if they have em' in.

They may not have em' in, though...they run out quick! But that's where I got mine from.
Co-Founder of the Orange Revolution Club

-Esp/Ltd Ec-1000 w/ BKP Mules
-2-channel Titan
-Oversized Bogner 2x12 Cabinet
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-T.C. Electronic Nova Delay
-Larrivee D-03R
^i have one from BYOC. i have to say they're great. but im not sure if the TS can build pedals... he never stated in his posts at least.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by Jinskee
Hey joe.

You live in Honolulu, right? Well, stop by Dan's Guitar and ask if they have em' in.

They may not have em' in, though...they run out quick! But that's where I got mine from.

I do. I'm gonna stop by tomorrow then, see if they've got any Fulltone OCDs, I know I've seen those Fulltone Clyde Wahs at the counter. Do you know if they happen to carry Electro-Harmonix stuff at Dan's?
Ahh, sadly, they don't.

There's a store at uh...I forget . But I'll back to you on it! I think the store's called Hawaii Musical Supply--they carry EHX products.

Oh, and by the way, they're closed tomorrow. .

-2-channel Titan
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-Larrivee D-03R
Quote by Jinskee
Ahh, sadly, they don't.

There's a store at uh...I forget . But I'll back to you on it! I think the store's called Hawaii Musical Supply--they carry EHX products.

Oh, and by the way, they're closed tomorrow. .

That's right, I almost made the same mistake last Sunday. Thanks. I think the only shop open tomorrow is Island Guitar.. and I'm pretty sure they don't carry either.. but yeah, I'll call over at Hawaii Music Supply then, I went out there to play an Eclipse II once, huge selection. Thanks Jin!

And also thanks for the help everyone.
^Yeah, no problem.

Hawaii Music Supply is actually where I bought my Orange...they're actually the only people who hold Orange (tubed) products in Hawaii.

But yeah, just try all of the overdrives that you can! Good luck.

-2-channel Titan
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-Larrivee D-03R
Quote by ECistheBest
^i have one from BYOC. i have to say they're great. but im not sure if the TS can build pedals... he never stated in his posts at least.

you can buy them pre-built, that's what i do
You could also try out the MXR GT-OD.. it's true bypass.. pretty cheap and I've herad good things about those
The gear is in the profile.
You know you want to take a look

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Strat-mangling, echo-eating janglefan σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣
what kind of OD are you looking for? for slight breakup i wouldnt take the OCD, i like mine turned up. i'd take a catalinbread silver kiss or zvex BOR.
check out the fulltone fulldrive 2. its like a tubescreamer, but true bypass and with a booster.
Quote by Soma3009
I came up with this kick ass riff on my ukelele when I was 12. Find out two years later, it was smoke on the water. Got my hopes and dreams killed..

Quote by saintjimmy99
you used the right form of "their!" i commend you sir!

Hi Joe,

I'm curious:

Are you unsatisfied with the classic rock sounds on the crunch channel of your Express, or just looking for another sound? I'm considering trying out some ODs on mine, but would be seeking more modern distortion tones on it -- I'm pretty pleased with how the Express does classic rock.

How do you like the EMGs with the Express? How do they compare to passive pickups on the amp, if you've tried it? I'm considering borrowing an emg-laden guitar to see what it does to the amp.

thanks!
Quote by Alex The Red
Full Bypass isn't all that it's cracked up to be

You shouldn't have full bypass on every last one of your pedals

The amount of wiring it takes to make most pedals full bypass usually decompose the signal just as bad as (sometimes worse) then just leaving it normal.

There are of course pedals you should almost definitely have fully bypassed. Wah Wah's the only one that comes to mind.

But unh for Od's.

Pretty much anything Electro Harmonix pumps out, Tube screamers are always good (the reissue just has a special chip in it which can be bought separate and added later), Fulltone makes some awesome boutique pedals, Robert Keeley also has some great stuff.

I just want to clear up some misinformation here- true bypass doesn't need any fancy wiring to be done. It's much simpler than a Boss-style buffered bypass, and only slightly more complicated than an output-switching type pedal. All you need is a switch and four wires- not too complicated, eh? Also, the decomposition of the signal is NOT due to the bypass. It's got to do with the fact that a true-bypassed pedal is essentially a few inches of cable when you've got it bypassed. The capacitance of your wire and cable gives you treble loss, and longer cable means more treble loss. The extra two or three inches of wire inside the TBed pedal gives you a bit more treble loss. Buffered pedals eliminate this by using active circuitry and putting out a low-impedance signal which doesn't degrade throughout the chain. They do, however, suck when 'stacked' together, resulting in, yes, worse tone loss than a long chain of true bypass pedals.