I've recently just been playing songs, that's all, like already existing songs. I need to start putting some solo work together. Any ideas? Scales I should know maybe? Thanks a lot. Also my friend (who plays bass and guitar) asked me if I had any stuff that I've made up. Obviously I havn't, yet, so once I get the feel to put some solo work together I can jam with him and all, so any ideas would be nice.
Gear:

Guitars:
Takamine Gs330S
Fender Standard Stratocaster
Ibanez RG3EXQM1
Epiphone SG G-310

Amps:
Crate Palomino V16

Pedals
Ibanez TS9DX
Line 6 Tonecore Uber Metal
Bah... well it's really something I should know... I mean my guitar teacher teaches me some about that and music theory and all but I'd like some direct tips on UG.
Gear:

Guitars:
Takamine Gs330S
Ibanez RG3EXQM1
Epiphone SG G-310

Amps:
Crate Palomino V16

Pedals
Ibanez TS9DX
Don't put soloing next time ;p Made me think about solo's.

Anyway, yeah recognise chord progressions and what scale they belong to so you can jam, the pentatonic minor and major are good to learn. Try learning all the major scales and the pentatonic scales.
Quote by Td_Nights
Prank calls?

What are you, 10?

Be a man and go take a shit on someone's car.

Quote by Fate_of_Mind
I skimmed through, saw pregnancy test, and "why is there blood". I'm going to assume you just punched her in the ovaries, problem solved.

Xbox Live GT: VRSlashGnR
K what about patterns? Does that usually depend on the person? I just lack trying to fit them together... and I need to memorize more of the positions and all...

Oh and is it alright (I'm sure it is) to switch scales?
Gear:

Guitars:
Takamine Gs330S
Ibanez RG3EXQM1
Epiphone SG G-310

Amps:
Crate Palomino V16

Pedals
Ibanez TS9DX
ohhhh that solo...

wait i dont know which solo it is now... r u trying to put out some "solo materials"??? or are you trying to make up a "guitar solo"?

i guess you can start off with learning and recognizing some simple chord progressions. the pentatonic scale, minor scales would work.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Last edited by ECistheBest at Sep 2, 2007,
When I first started, I was baffled by soloing, just couldn't figure it out, my guitar teacher just said "play the scale like normal, but mix up the notes, and throw some bends and vibroto in every once in a while." it took a while for it to click but it worked, that's all I can say about that other than remember to stay on tempo...but you probably already knew that. Also the most versetile scale I know of also happens to be the easiest, the minor pentatonic, almost all guitarists use this scale specificaly for improvised solos.
Yeah. You can do whatever you want when you solo. Switch scales/go out of key. Sometimes it spices it up and actually does sound pretty cool. But me personally the only scales I've learnt are major/minor pentatonic (blues scale too), harmonic minor, and augmented. All I really need. I don't need to learn all the scales since I play mostly hard rock and blues.
Guitars:
Epiphone Elitist Les Paul Custom WCR and Dimarzio equipped
Amp:
Marshall 2266 Vintage Modern
Marshall 1960TV
Effects:
Dunlop Crybaby From Hell
put on a song that you like and just jam to it. make up different chord progressions and work on improvising your solos.
Thanks Slash =D

Yeah that helps, the Penatonic scales are used for a lot of solo work... metal bands use the blues scales too, so there's something...
Gear:

Guitars:
Takamine Gs330S
Ibanez RG3EXQM1
Epiphone SG G-310

Amps:
Crate Palomino V16

Pedals
Ibanez TS9DX
with making solos do it like you would a song..

come up with a few licks then link them together and then if its long enough do variations of those licks, also when writing a solo think of it as a different song if u know what i mean. and for god sakes make sure its in key.
gear.

Schecter Loomis sig.
Engl fireball.
the highest.

CANNABIZZLE

Lets blaze, put this in your sig if you want to get high.
Don't forget a scale is just a guide line. You can go outside of the scale sometimes. Put a note that doesn't belong etc. Sometimes it fits the song perfectly... sometimes not so much. But your best bet is to experiment with scales. Find some singature licks from your heroe's and build off them and figure out how they build up their solos and how to understand it. And once you figure that out it will all come naturally, and you'll be writing riffs and licks all over the place.
Guitars:
Epiphone Elitist Les Paul Custom WCR and Dimarzio equipped
Amp:
Marshall 2266 Vintage Modern
Marshall 1960TV
Effects:
Dunlop Crybaby From Hell
Learn your scales and download some jam tracks.

OR just play what you FEEL. That is key. Feeling makes good solos. Without feeling, we wouldn't have our fancy rock n' roll. The bluesmen had the feeling, they had the rock. Point here is, feel the music in your mind, soul, head, and fingertips. Then just let 'er rip.
Bands to see before I die:
Iron Maiden
Foo Fighters
Megadeth
Reel Big Fish
Rush
Streetlight Manifesto

Gear:
Epi LP Standard
Washburn Strat
Line 6 Spider (Yes, I know it's bad)

GAS:
Ibanez RG3570Z
Digitech Whammy
as fpr normal riffs, cant help ya there...whenever i try it just sounds like any other song ive been listening to. its annoying