Well what do you play?

Secondly a 30 watt tube amp will definetly be loud enough (it was easily heard on a gig for 200-300 people I played).
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Quote by justsixteen
does anyone knows a cheap but good 100w amp?...something around 400-500 bucks

1 - No
2 - You don't need 100 watts
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
don't do it.
if your really "just sixteen" you'll be tempted with a large amp because, hey its loud awesome, and i can turn it down to practice.
Amps work well at volume at 7-9. If you can never get there, then its such a waste. I have a 65 watter which goes to waste. Get a tube, you'll wet yourself with the sound
for god's sake, this forum is always like this. If he's made up his mind he wants 100, then help him find one, don't criticise. However, if you want 100w for that price, it's best looking second hand, you'll find a better deal, but will probs have to get it serviced.
Tip: Fender tube amp users have a habit of removing the tube cos it sucks, so blues/clean fender is ok, but for hard-rock/metal, trust me, it sucks.
I'd recommend laney or marshall.
Epiphone Dot-335
Fender USA Tele
'82 30th anniversary Les Paul goldtop
1965 pre-CBS Fender Jaguar

Crybaby
TS-9
turbo rat
Ge-7
+many more

Fender Twin Reverb
King's Full-tube 100 watt half stack. - £300
if u need 100 watts ull need to save up unfortunately to 1000.. B52 makes cheap tube amps you might like
Everybody Loves Lefty..

Lefties Unite!

Melodic Thrash Metal and winners of the Wacken Metal Battle Canada and 2nd Place Runner Ups for Wacken Metal Battle International

PROFANER
Quote by Hdap101
for god's sake, this forum is always like this. If he's made up his mind he wants 100, then help him find one, don't criticise. However, if you want 100w for that price, it's best looking second hand, you'll find a better deal, but will probs have to get it serviced.
Tip: Fender tube amp users have a habit of removing the tube cos it sucks, so blues/clean fender is ok, but for hard-rock/metal, trust me, it sucks.

Why would I want to "help" somebody waste their money on a POS solid state amp? Also what you on about Fender tube amp users "removing the tube"? Do you actually know what a tube is?

The kid thinks he needs a 100watt amp probably because he's seen that people he listens to have them. People like me and Gabel are here to point out that it isn't the case, and there's better, cheaper ways to get the sound you want.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by Hdap101
for god's sake, this forum is always like this. If he's made up his mind he wants 100, then help him find one, don't criticise.

It's perfectly good advice. They're trying to save the thread starter money in the long run, and help them find a really good amplifier. Nobody really needs 100 watts, because when you get to the really big venues they mic your amp up anyway, and for that price the only 100 watt amps that are available are poor quality SS ones. Gabel and Steven Seagull made brilliant points.

To Justsixteen, I'd take Gabel's advice and look for a 30 watt valve combo, because as he said it will be loud enough for your needs. It will also sound a lot better than a 100 watt SS amp.

If you play blues, you could look into a used Fender Hot Rod Deluxe, because lots of people use them for their great cleans and their overdrive is okay for blues. You can stretch out to rock sounds if you get a good overdrive or distortion pedal. You could also look into a use Epiphone Blues Custom, which again would be good for blues and rock.

An amp that can do classic rock, and even harder rock without really needing an overdrive would be a Peavey Classic 30, and you could get one new if you stretched your budget by $100, or else you could probably get one used much cheaper. They're great amps.

If you play heavier styles, perhaps a Peavey Valveking would be a good amp for you. The 112 combo is 50 watts, so most likely more than you will need, but it's a versatile amp and good for the price. Should be able to do a good amount of metal without any help, though you'll need a boost to get heavier.

If you get a good valve amp now, you will be glad in the future. If you get a 100 watt solid state head, you'll regret it. It's your choice, but I hope these recommendations will help.
Quote by steven seagull
Why would I want to "help" somebody waste their money on a POS solid state amp? Also what you on about Fender tube amp users "removing the tube"? Do you actually know what a tube is?

The kid thinks he needs a 100watt amp probably because he's seen that people he listens to have them. People like me and Gabel are here to point out that it isn't the case, and there's better, cheaper ways to get the sound you want.

+100

I have a 50watter tube... and hell, thats more than enough
"I never liked those Deep Purples or those sort of things. I always hated it. I always thought it was a poor man’s Led Zeppelin"
// Angus Young

+1
Quote by steven seagull

word
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I havev 40 watts all tube, and pushed above about 2 it gets far too loud for home practise. Half way up it's fine for small/medium gigs, 3/4 way it's fine for large gigs.

See where we're going here?

Honestly, IMO, 100 watt amps shouldn't even be ****in' made. You see all these amps available in 50 watts and 100watts for varying prices, and it's completely uneccessary for such a miniscule difference in sound. I think 50 watts should be the limit for anyone.
Jackson KV2
Epiphone SG-Special
Freshman FA1 AWR
Roland Cube 15

Member of
'girls of UG club’
PM Noxiosimitator to join
Quote by ninewhilenine
Honestly, IMO, 100 watt amps shouldn't even be ****in' made.

I could not agree more.
I have a 50 watt tube combo that sounds reasonably good at low volume (good preamp distortion.) I am now wanting a 5 watt tube combo for practice because 50 watts is too damn loud for home and bedroom volume. I miss that sweet power tube distortion. 100 watts solid state is going to suck (reasons too many and have already been discussed) and 50 tube watts will cover any gig. If you want so much power that it becomes unusable (like driving a Porche to the grocery store) get a 100 watt stack. If you want something that sounds great and that you can actually use get a 30 watt tube combo. Just my opinions.
since you didn't mention what you play

For blues:

Fender Blues Junior ($400) / Fender Hot Rod ($600) / Fender Blues Deluxe ($650)

For british / classic rock:

Vox AC15 ($600)

If you play everything:

Traynor YCV40 ($650)

and for metal/shred/that kinda stuff, i don't really know but I heard good things about solid state randalls for that stuff or the cube 60 is ALWAYS good
My Gear:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster
Epiphone Sheraton II
Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue
Teese RMC Picture Wah
MXR Carbon Copy
Keeley Modded TS9
Korg Pitchblack
Schecter Omen 6
Dean Performer Acoustic

Quote by Hdap101

No offense, but do you know what you're talking about?
A true tube amp (tube preamp and poweramp) has more than just a single tube, and even then, you can't just "remove the tube cos it sucks." That's like saying that you're going to remove the engine in your car. It just doesn't work that way.

This thread has some pretty good recommendations, but I'd like to add-
Please, do not buy a Line 6 or a Marshall MG.
It might sound good in the store, but as soon as you get it home and turn it up past 1, you'll realize how crappy of an amp you have. I would know, as I have done this myself.
Main gear (For complete list, see profile):
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plain-top
Basswood Telecaster, 2 single-sized HB's, both split.
Epiphone Valve Junior
B-52 AT-412 Cabinet
Oh, and I have a Squier VM Jazz Bass too.
Quote by rafarquhar
No offense, but do you know what you're talking about?
A true tube amp (tube preamp and poweramp) has more than just a single tube, and even then, you can't just "remove the tube cos it sucks." That's like saying that you're going to remove the engine in your car. It just doesn't work that way.

This thread has some pretty good recommendations, but I'd like to add-
Please, do not buy a Line 6 or a Marshall MG.
It might sound good in the store, but as soon as you get it home and turn it up past 1, you'll realize how crappy of an amp you have. I would know, as I have done this myself.

It says you like your Spider in your sig.
Quote by RiotSquad
mom take me to the doctor i cant stop cumming in wrestling
Quote by Cameronrobson
bobby, I've got poutine in my urethra

CLICK HERE FOR FREE SEX!
Quote by Denthúl
It's perfectly good advice. They're trying to save the thread starter money in the long run, and help them find a really good amplifier. Nobody really needs 100 watts, because when you get to the really big venues they mic your amp up anyway, and for that price the only 100 watt amps that are available are poor quality SS ones. Gabel and Steven Seagull made brilliant points.

To Justsixteen, I'd take Gabel's advice and look for a 30 watt valve combo, because as he said it will be loud enough for your needs. It will also sound a lot better than a 100 watt SS amp.

If you play blues, you could look into a used Fender Hot Rod Deluxe, because lots of people use them for their great cleans and their overdrive is okay for blues. You can stretch out to rock sounds if you get a good overdrive or distortion pedal. You could also look into a use Epiphone Blues Custom, which again would be good for blues and rock.

An amp that can do classic rock, and even harder rock without really needing an overdrive would be a Peavey Classic 30, and you could get one new if you stretched your budget by $100, or else you could probably get one used much cheaper. They're great amps.

If you play heavier styles, perhaps a Peavey Valveking would be a good amp for you. The 112 combo is 50 watts, so most likely more than you will need, but it's a versatile amp and good for the price. Should be able to do a good amount of metal without any help, though you'll need a boost to get heavier.

If you get a good valve amp now, you will be glad in the future. If you get a 100 watt solid state head, you'll regret it. It's your choice, but I hope these recommendations will help.

Quote by steven seagull

You saved me a lot of time trying to explain it.

Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Quote by Stentroll
It says you like your Spider in your sig.

..Well it really shouldn't.
I'm not a "bandwagon hopper."
I know for a fact they suck.
My signature is completely wrong for some reason too, because I remember adding that my somewhat homemade telecaster was just a TC-10 kit.
Main gear (For complete list, see profile):
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plain-top
Basswood Telecaster, 2 single-sized HB's, both split.
Epiphone Valve Junior
B-52 AT-412 Cabinet
Oh, and I have a Squier VM Jazz Bass too.
Quote by rafarquhar
..Well it really shouldn't.
I'm not a "bandwagon hopper."
I know for a fact they suck.
My signature is completely wrong for some reason too, because I remember adding that my somewhat homemade telecaster was just a TC-10 kit.

So you go from liking it to hating it just like that? I still like mine a little bit, but I'm trading it for a Peavey, since it's tube .
Quote by RiotSquad
mom take me to the doctor i cant stop cumming in wrestling
Quote by Cameronrobson
bobby, I've got poutine in my urethra

CLICK HERE FOR FREE SEX!
Quote by Denthúl
^ Perhaps try an Epi Valve Jr.? I love mine to bits

I am considering it but I think I need a master volume. Even 5 watts can get a bit loud on occasion (I'm a Night Owl.) With a master I can mix a little preamp gain. I am going to try one out though.
Quote by uldhppi
I am considering it but I think I need a master volume. Even 5 watts can get a bit loud on occasion (I'm a Night Owl.) With a master I can mix a little preamp gain. I am going to try one out though.

I know exactly how that can be. I can't turn mine up above 9 o'clock if anybody's at home, and at about 11 the neighbours complain. I'd love to mod mine, but I'm really not comfortable working with high-voltage equipment at all. And I don't really want to pay someone else to do it, because chances are it'll be more expensive than it should be. But it is a lovely amp.
Quote by ninewhilenine
I havev 40 watts all tube, and pushed above about 2 it gets far too loud for home practise. Half way up it's fine for small/medium gigs, 3/4 way it's fine for large gigs.

See where we're going here?

Honestly, IMO, 100 watt amps shouldn't even be ****in' made. You see all these amps available in 50 watts and 100watts for varying prices, and it's completely uneccessary for such a miniscule difference in sound. I think 50 watts should be the limit for anyone.

apparently there are laws about how loud you can be at a licensed venue in the UK. This place is screwed up, apparently its because if you suffer from ear damage from going to a loud gig you can make a claim against the owner of the venue... basically, anything over 50 watts will probably end up being illegal here anyway. Considering cranked 100W tube amps are dangerous... they shouldn't make them. 50 is plenty for clean headroom.
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp
Really? Never heard about those laws...but it's certainly something interesting. I'll have to do a bit of research into that (because I have nothing better to do ).
yes there are laws about loudness, but i thought that was only in residential areas and late. surely you can have a disclaimer put on all tickets "it's very loud, if your ears bleed, it's not our fault" but there's no need to be that loud anyway
How about rock and roll may cause loss of inhibitions and seizures?