Hello UG, ive started a side band, we play sort of classic rock, like the eagles, etc.

and was wandering about what guitar would suit? (instead of using my shred guitars)

Do i need a hollowbody?, semi hollow ?

a few ive checked out are
the Ibanez Artcore
Gretsch pro jet

ive been offered a Gretsch pro jet 2nd hand in australia for 470$ w/o a case, good deal? any comments on any other guitars? cheers
Gear.
Peters Chimaira tube amp
Harley Benton 2xv30's
IbanezS470(evo,paf)
Jackson dinky select series USA
ESP LTD EC1000VB
MI audio boostnbuff+crunchbox
Carbon copy MXR + smart gate
Wi66 pro.
Quote by Skraeling86
That's a lot of booze. Frankly, I'm impressed. You're of a stronger timber than the average man, jimbob! Hail you.

Quote by Bubban
Yes you should go to a doctor, fucking moron. We can't do anything about your hemorrhoid.

It sounds like an Ibanez Artcore AS73 might do it for you. Its a 335-styled semi-hollow. About $329 USD. Obviously won't do metal. If you are going to be playing really loud you might want to go with the Pro Jet solid body. This said I play pretty loud with my AS73 and the only feedback I get is the kind I want (controllable and sweet.) Think Ted Nugent, Gary Moore.
The Artcore would be a good bet. Look at Epiphone dot Studios they look really nice with the "stripped down" look, and they sound awesome. About 270$ Canadian, which is about 230 American, or like 320$ in austraillia. And you don't necessarilly need a hollow body. A Epiphone Les paul would be a perfect classic rock guitar.
alright, ill check out the artcore and the epiphone. the gretsch is beautiful though.
Gear.
Peters Chimaira tube amp
Harley Benton 2xv30's
IbanezS470(evo,paf)
ESP LTD EC1000VB
would the artcore and epiphone do Chilli peppers type rock as well? thanks guys/girls!
Gear.
Peters Chimaira tube amp
Harley Benton 2xv30's
IbanezS470(evo,paf)
ESP LTD EC1000VB
Pretty much any guitar will do classic rock.

If you already have decent solid-body electric then getting a semi-hollow would be good for your collection I guess. Open up more options.

I dunno if it would do Chilli Peppers. John uses a strat so you'd want something with single coils if you're trying to emulate his sound but a semi will sound nice for that type of stuff, just not exactly the same.
Dude. You don't need a hollow body guitar. Personally best guitars in budget for Classic Rock are Fender Standard Stratocasters or Epiphone SG's if you are in a low budget area. But remember Classic Rock depends more on your band's sound. Such as a keyboard player. And for Chili Peppers stuff, I definitely recommend a Fender Standard Stratocaster. Nothing can get closer to the John Frusciante sound most people desire.
Its more for the Eagles, The Band, etc type of classic rock, Im not planning on recreating John's tone either. But ill look into it as well.

Cheers mates
Gear.
Peters Chimaira tube amp
Harley Benton 2xv30's
IbanezS470(evo,paf)
ESP LTD EC1000VB
Im tossing up between

Ibanez Artcore
Gretsh Jet pro w/0 bigsby
Epiphone les paul or studio.

Really want to stay away from Strats and SG's, really not my thing. And im not too keen a LP's either. If I could find a Ibanez Artcore for second hand I would probably try that out, otherwise ill go the gretsch.

Im using a Artec Analogue delay through a genz Benz tube amp + what ever guitar I decide to get. The Genz Benz can do a variety of styles. Would the Artcore work well with it?
Gear.
Peters Chimaira tube amp
Harley Benton 2xv30's
IbanezS470(evo,paf)
ESP LTD EC1000VB
Actually, Chuck Berry used a 335, if I'm not mistaken.
He's about as classic as you can get.

Anyways, I'd spring for the Gretsch. Great tone, playability, etc.

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE
Alvin Lee used one too, and so did Alex Lifeson for working man and fly by night, listen to both of those songs, those are much heavier than i though semi hollow bodies could go.
My Gear:
Fender 60th Anniversary Standard Strat
Vox AD30VT
Big Muff Pi.
Gear.
Peters Chimaira tube amp
Harley Benton 2xv30's
IbanezS470(evo,paf)
ESP LTD EC1000VB
Last edited by Metal_Injection at Sep 4, 2007,
I dunno, I like the looks of the Gretsch. Pretty sure it's a solid body though but they have really nice pickups. Hardcases aren't that important. If it's from a shop you can probably get good discount on one if you buy them at the same time anyway. Otherwise just get a gigbag and be careful?

Any Epiphone I would change the pickups so maybe the SG with a pickup change? Epiphone pickups are way too muddy for most stuff IMO. You'll want something with a nice mid-range growl for classic rock.

And I dunno about the Yamaha, never played one.
Yeah most epiphones ive tried sound to muddy, pickups are rubbish. The gretsch is a private sale, so no discount, would be able to get second hand case probably.

It would work out the same i think in terms of cash for the Sg + pickups with the Gretsch
Gear.
Peters Chimaira tube amp
Harley Benton 2xv30's
IbanezS470(evo,paf)
ESP LTD EC1000VB