Page 1 of 2
URGH!!!i've asked this question so many times! i'm new to electric and planing to get a S470,which has a floating bridge/ZR trem,but other people keep saying that i should get a fixed bridge..whats the dam difference?
A floating bridge is suspended by the difference between string and spring tension, and held in place by balancing on two 'poles'. This allows for it to be dunked, and crazy sounds made etc. but maintenence is (reportedly) harder and more fiddly. Granted drop tuning and string changing are an arse, as well as intonation, but still....

A fixed bridge is not 'floating', and cannot be dunked as far (if at all, depending on the bridge), and this allows for very quick easy string changes (under 15 mins), and easy allowance for drop tuning, along with (if compared with a crappy floating bridge) higher grade tuning stability.
Why did Pat Metheney cross the road? He didn't, his hair got in the way
--
Member #1 of Ibanez > You club. PM me to join
A floating trem ... wobbles notes and changes pitch of notes. Have you ever pressed down on that bar that comes on it? Know what a dive bomb is?

A fixed bridge doesn't do...anything.

And by the way, do NOT change your ZR trem for some fixed bridge...it's the best trem on the market at the moment, your friends are stupid.
Axe FX 2
Matrix GT1000FX
Mesa 4x12
Behringer FCB1010
Yes if you like it that much, but make sure you're aware of the commitment you're making. An floating bridge isn't for everyone, and from your music styles you don't sound like you'd use it...
--
for those of you who didn't see his other thread. he wants to play soft rock/classic rock only. he should not be getting a double locking trem.

vintage trem or fixed bridge
and the S470 does not have one righT?most of the reviews said that its good for all sort of music..
yes, it is. but if you aren't going to be ripping that ZR trem there's no point having it. it makes changing strings more difficult, and you'll need the guitar properly set up if you ever want to change tuning.
He means using the whammy bar a lot to do tricks and pitch bends etc. Setup is adjustnents made to maximise playability, tuning, don't even joke, if you are joking, that was not funny.
--
look,i;'m reaaaaalllllyyyyyyyy noob with the electric..i've only been playing for a year now and i only have one acoustic guitar,that sucks,so thats why i need a sexier guitar to change my life...i'm suddenly feeling so awkward getting this guitar..can't you guys just chuck any good affordable ibanez electrics that has a fixed bridge and nice inlays?
Last edited by NoobOnZone at Sep 2, 2007,
Look, just go to the shop and ask to try out a S470. Then you'll see what a floating trem is.
Axe FX 2
Matrix GT1000FX
Mesa 4x12
Behringer FCB1010
Here's an example of the noises you can do with a floating trem.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=qtUiQJc7ZMI

Changing strings, changing tunings (say, E standard to Drop C will be take some time) and general maintenance is a bit harder.

A fixed bridge guitar, think Les Paul, they don't have a whammy bar of sort to go crazy on.
Get a fixed bridge mate. The S470 is lovely though.
Last edited by 7DaySkeptic at Sep 2, 2007,
How about these?The iceman 400(Invalid img) or the RG550MXX ,is the edge lll a fixed bridge?And is the Edge bridge also a fixed one? many people recommend the iceman for a begginer like me..but no whammy see,i want to do,*sometimes,don't know how often yet* some tricks,you mean ALL fixed bridges don't come in whammy bars?if thats true that sucks..thoroughly man.
Last edited by NoobOnZone at Sep 2, 2007,
you want a vintage tremolo. double locking tremolos are more suited for metal, yes you can use ot for classic rock but it's awkward. try out a guitar with a floyd rose bridge, if you like it, then you'll like the s420
But no,the S470 has a floyd rose and apparently most or all fixed bridges don't have whammy bars..and i want one..i've already sent an email to the official ibanez dealer and i'm waiting for him to tell me how much the RG550DMXX cost,and if its cheaper den the S470*which i highly doupt*,i will go for the RG..
THE EDGE III IS NOT A FIXED BRIDGE. Anything with a ****ing bar sticking out of it should be the most obvious indication.
Children of Bodom
In Flames
Pantera
Megadeth
Iron Maiden
Helloween
done,with,i want the other efftects,dive bombs and stuff,makes life more colourfull...dive bombs rock..lol,herman li is one dude whos got so much freaking time to event soungs..S470 it is!
But what styles/music are you thinking to play? The Floyd Rose' guitars is more focused for soloing.
Besides being a guitar player, I'm a big fan of the guitar. I love that damn instrument. Steve Vai

Gear:
Kramer Striker FR422SM
Roland Microcube
Digitech Bad Monkey
Dunlop Tortex 1.14mm picks

MY VIDEOS
But i want the whammy bars...i play soft rock/rock,or lead?theres others i might still consider?well..only one..the RG550MXX,is it cheaper den the s470?cos i'm like new and i prefer to get a cheaper guitar...
hm...soft rock/rock/any thing that has to do with leads,all the tricks..but i'm ask considering the RG550MXX..it has a EDGE bridge/a floating one,and do you know if its more expensive then the S470? cos if its cheaper,i would go with the RG,see,i'm new to electric and i don't want to spend too much on my first guitar
It is much more expensive, it's an anniversary model...limited run.
--
Oh...so do you think i should get the S470? i really love the s-series and its cool thin body,and most reviews say its good in all sorts of music..
Go to your local guitar store and try out the S470 and see if you like it, I have one and I love it. And BTW if this is your first electric you're gonna need an amp.
lol,i already have one..i'm new to electric but not new to acoustic..my acoustic is a very good starter pack..comes with a 15C epiphone amp..real small but packs a real big punch...
do some research and come back with a real question....

Quote by Stranglehold
He swallowed black nail polish and shat the word 'motherfucker' onto a non-metal kid. Rad.

Quote by severed-metal
You can dress a woman slutty, but she's not a slut. Understand?

living inside a drop only to die in an ocean
A fixed bridge can mean a bridge that used to be wonky, but has now been repaired...

But really, here it comes:

Quote by NoobOnZone
is the edge lll a fixed bridge?
No.
And is the Edge bridge also a fixed one?
No.
you mean ALL fixed bridges don't come in whammy bars?

No fixed bridges at all come with whammy bars. That's the whole thing, see... Fixed is defined as "Firmly in position; stationary", so a fixed bridge means that the bridge stays in place all the time. Putting a whammy bar on something that cant be moved would be pointless. A whammy bar is put on a tremolo bridge, which can either be a two-point synchronized unit or a six-point screwed-on unit. The two-point synchronized concept is what is known as "floating". It means that the metal of the bridge isn't in contact with the wood of the body, but is suspended above it, held in perfect balance by the pull of the springs on the back and the strings on the front.

So in conclusion, a fixed bridge just holds the strings in place, and can't be moved either way, while a floating bridge can be wobbled by using the whammy bar.
But yeah,i do want a whammy bar,in other words a floating bridge,can do stuff and tricks,strange sounds..lol,ok,i'll be heading for the shop soon to try out the s470,
Restringing isn't as much of a hassle as people make it out to be, as long as you've got a good methodical approach to it. Setting it up is also a less troublesome than you might have heard, though it takes some practice. You'll get used to it. However, the S-series should be easier since the ZR tremolos have the zero-point system which helps the bridge staying centered on neutral. Take off the rear cover and check out the way it works, it's quite nice and I'd wish Ibanez would make some ZR-equipped RGs.
haha,yes,thats why i only want a floating bridge in the S-series,cos even if a string breaks,the rest will stay in tune,and thats amazing technology,
err first electric = don't get floating (floyd rose)

the "tricks" get boring and you'll want to play music and not sounds.

My $1200 jackson is pretty much gathering dust, i use my tune-o-matic (fixed bridge).

Try them all out at first, and see if you can get better inlays than just dots, to me their so much uglier and make a guitar look cheap
yes i know,but you mean i can't play sounds and just sounds better on a floating bridge then a fixed?cos fixed ones look dull
only so few are fixed for ibanez..and i only want ibanez..what do you guys think about these guitars?
Look dude take this sound advice from me a noob myself (I've been playing for three weeks)

A guitar is like a penis it don't matter how big and badass it is...if you can't use it it ain't gonna get you no where. So get a fixed bridge, get the cheapest guitar you can find in the shape and finish that you like, and that has two pickups but GET A FIXED BRIDGE....

Any time you get into an expensive venture get the cheapest equipment you can, you'll probly want to upgrade later anyways, even if you bought an expensive guitar cause you won't know what your needs are....

When you can play the thing well enough that you know what you want and are starting to solo...THEN get that trem system, you'll have more fun with it, and it'll be what you know you want and know you'll use...once you've developed a style of your own....

-David
My Gear:

Guitar #1: 1997 Fender MIM Strat
Guitar #2: 2007 Epi SG (G-310)

Effects: Roland DS-1 Distortion (for switching in distortion quickly, NOT cause I want a "l33t brootalz tonz!")
Amp: Roland Microcube
Page 1 of 2