Page 1 of 2
hey, i was just wondering what kind of guitar would fit into these genres, being able to play stuff along the lines of early green day, the ramones, the sex pistols, the clash, and rancid. and dont give me 'a squier cuz punk sucks..haha'.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/product/reviews/base_pid=519398/rpp=10/

i was lookin at this one but i dont think it fits my criteria.

You can never fucking trust Canada when Canada decides to report on world news that doesn't concern Canada. Canada is only in it for Canada's sake. Canada doesn't even know Batman.

Fuck Canada
a tele honestly could do all that... it can handle distortion well, and it has the greatest clean tone for ska

question? what amp do you have?

edit: that les paul could be able to do it if you replace one of the humbuckers with a p 90 (the neck position would work better)
Quote by Gibson_Rocker13
you are my new hero cause i do the exact same thing but i suck at it

#8 of the EHX USERS GUILD
Quote by SublimeGuitar
Orange Rocker 30. Best Marshall ever

epi firefly dsp 30, epi sg, big muff
olp five string, peavy max 158
Yea tele's work great, but you could have the best guitar in the world if you amp stinks it won't help much. ( but you probably knew that.)
You may have a 10 x 10 stack of marshalls and i may only have one, but mine goes to 11.... Beat that
yes. i have a good amp lol. roland cube-20x......its pretty good. but im playing a **** squier so,.....yeppp...i didnt really know tele's were for that kind of music, i see the guitarists for most of those bands i listed playing les pauls.

You can never fucking trust Canada when Canada decides to report on world news that doesn't concern Canada. Canada is only in it for Canada's sake. Canada doesn't even know Batman.

Fuck Canada
ive got a gibson les paul special, which is basically one step up from that i guess, and its great for punk, and its even got good clean ska tone (i basically play type of music as you)...i guess a tele would be good, but get a tele deluxe with humbuckers, cause those are savage
i dont really like the look of the tele, but i guess im gonna have to just go to melodee music and try some of them out, cuz its all about the sound isnt it?

Fuck Canada
Man, that LP would be great for punk except the floyd rose is not ideal. LP's are pretty good for what your doing, but look at those '72 telecaster deluxe reissues or whatever they're called. They have a telecaster shape but they have 2 hums and a completely different look. To me it's what the offspring of an LP and a tele would have if they had sex.
-Fender American Deluxe Jazz Bass
-Tech 21 Sansamp RBI
-Mesa Powerhouse 212
-Fender Bassman 410
-Tons of other bass/guitar gear

FAST MELODIC PUNK! CHECK OUT MY BAND!
therowleyestate.bandcamp.com
^ Listen to that guy.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
god dam......that reissue is perfect, but unfortunately, i dont have enough money, it needs be around 500-600... I'm thinking that I can remove the tremolo, i mean, that's possible right? And then replace the stock pickups with p-90's like the other guy said, but i dont know if that'll cost more than just getting that 72 reissue.

Fuck Canada
hm i would strongly reccomend an hss fender strat, and with the money left over throw a nice bridge bucker in there. if your going down that road i'd say look at the sh-4 jb's, 59's, or even some of those higher end boutique pickups

if none of that, agile makes some very good lp copies
Quote by that soccer kid
god dam......that reissue is perfect, but unfortunately, i dont have enough money, it needs be around 500-600... I'm thinking that I can remove the tremolo, i mean, that's possible right? And then replace the stock pickups with p-90's like the other guy said, but i dont know if that'll cost more than just getting that 72 reissue.

hehehe other guy...but anyway, id only replace one pick up with the p-90, and leave the bridge humbucker as a humbucker (for versatility reason)

really any tele works, but instead of the double humbucker tele id suggest the one with one humbucker, and one single coil (again in the name of versatility, im pretty sure this one is called the tele 72 custom (as opposed to deluxe))

they are all great guitars just try out and see which one fits...

and guitar center is having their list sale tommorrow so id see if you could any of those guitars for cheap (or haggle them down) if you are in the states

edit, and you could also just get a epi les paul standard if you dont want the floyd
Quote by Gibson_Rocker13

Quote by SublimeGuitar

Quote by EEF13
get a gibson SG faded or a Flying V daded for $599

the epis at that price are better quality than the gibsons... and the fenders at the price are better than the epi's
Quote by Gibson_Rocker13

Quote by SublimeGuitar

Yeah i think so too. I've seen them at guitar center for around 600 bucks. you could always look for used ones too but I'm thinking about picking one up for my next guitar. And removing a floyd is possble but very difficult and costly. If you were concidering an LP just get one without the floyd.
-Fender American Deluxe Jazz Bass
-Tech 21 Sansamp RBI
-Mesa Powerhouse 212
-Fender Bassman 410
-Tons of other bass/guitar gear

FAST MELODIC PUNK! CHECK OUT MY BAND!
therowleyestate.bandcamp.com
Honestly what I am doing, (I was looking for exactly what you were) I am buying an Epi les paul Jr. and putting a Gibson P90 pick up in it. It's only going to cost about 430 Dollars or so.

It's gonna be sexxxxxxy. ( I'm a little excited )

Edit: By the way its not the really crappy 100 dollar Epi les paul Jr. Its the LE '57 LP
Chris Redfield Of The Resident Evil Club
Last edited by Bowlingforcerea at Sep 2, 2007,
^ how are you doing this please lol

also, all the lp juniors are like 750, i mean, if i were to get an lp, a junior is definitley the one i am looking for.

Fuck Canada
Last edited by that soccer kid at Sep 2, 2007,
Quote by that soccer kid
^ how are you doing this please lol

also, all the lp juniors are like 750, i mean, if i were to get an lp, a junior is definitley the one i am looking for.

LP Jr.

P90 Pick Up
you could get an epi les paul standard, it's made of alder and mahogany, not too clear not to dark, and you could get p90s so they sound more like single coils while playing clean, and as well handle distortion like a humbucker.
Quote by .smudged.
you could get an epi les paul standard, it's made of alder and mahogany, not too clear not to dark, and you could get p90s so they sound more like single coils while playing clean, and as well handle distortion like a humbucker.

That is also a great idea, I just absolutely love the LP jr. they are just so simple, and they can deliver a kick ass sound with the right pick up.
thanks for the link, obviously guitar center has better prices than musician's friend.
I've made a list of the guitars i'd like to try out at the music store, tell me if i should add something.

gibson lp special
72 telecaster deluxe reissue
hss fender strat
telecaster 72 custom
epiphone les paul junior

i'd also like the lp junior in white lol, how much would that cost????
haha, i dont have to have it in white...just askin...

Fuck Canada
Quote by that soccer kid
thanks for the link, obviously guitar center has better prices than musician's friend.
I've made a list of the guitars i'd like to try out at the music store, tell me if i should add something.

gibson lp special
hss fender strat
telecaster 72 custom
epiphone les paul junior

I also want it in another color, haha but thats harder said than done from what I hear, its like 175 bucks.
Quote by that soccer kid

gibson lp special
hss fender strat
telecaster 72 custom
epiphone les paul junior

Get rid of the special. Seriously, when Gibson labels a guitar as "special", you know it's gonna suck.

The other choices are excellent though.

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE
I'm late on this, but a great local skank punk band's guitarist uses an Artcore.
Quote by Maj. Tom
Your skin will grow tough and you will soon have a mighty pimp hand to smite stupid bitches with.

Gear:
Ibanez RG2EX2 with EMG 81 and EMG 60a
Crate G-40 or something
Quote by Azgirio
Yeah, you definitely raped his churches and burned his women.
no man
your not too late, unfortunately our music shop is closed on labor day, i'll jsut cross out the special lol and add and artcore, although i've never really looked at one.

Fuck Canada
i like the p90 idea VERY much... i am prone to teles, but i also own an lp (copy) and cannot dispute their usefulness in punk and the like

HOWEVER i have found the perfect punk/ska setup (hell, blues even). telecaster with SD 1/4 lb pickups and a phase switch. out of phase gives that wonderful op ivy sound and higher tones needed for solos and such, and the pickups have excellent distorted sound. my wiring config goes like this: fender 4 way switch, on/off switch, phase switch, dist switch. im telling ya, its sweeeeeeeeeeeet

if youre getting a gibson though, definately slap a p90 in there somewhere
can any one tell me what exact guitar tim is playing? if you dont know who tim is, he's the main singer with the beanie.

i suggest pausing and looking through 1:17-1:34. it's a gretsch, and that's all i know.

sorry, it's the fall back down video. ill post a link.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vOwXby4lqfI

Fuck Canada
Last edited by that soccer kid at Sep 3, 2007,
video link please...

edit and most gretsches are high end (very expensive)
Quote by Gibson_Rocker13

Quote by SublimeGuitar

Quote by EEF13

Those guitars aren't really suited to ska to be honest.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-Standard-Telecaster-Electric-Guitar?sku=516035

I owned a Telecaster, and it's pretty much a match made in Heaven for what you're looking to play.
Quote by that soccer kid
hey, i was just wondering what kind of guitar would fit into these genres, being able to play stuff along the lines of early green day, the ramones, the sex pistols, the clash, and rancid. and dont give me 'a squier cuz punk sucks..haha'.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/product/reviews/base_pid=519398/rpp=10/

i was lookin at this one but i dont think it fits my criteria.

well billy joe armstrong used to use a strat during early green day, joey ramone used a strat, steve jones i think is the sex pistols guitarist and i believe he used a les paul, joe strummer used a tele but mick jones used either his les paul or some hollow body guitar, i don't know about rancid...

my conclusion fender standar hss strat, can be purchased for $400 on mf, because you can get the humbucker tone and single coil tone. as it would seem you'd need to mimic the sounds of those guitarists.
looks like a left handed tenessee rose or country classic/country gentleman... again these run at around 1500
Quote by Gibson_Rocker13

Quote by SublimeGuitar

Telecaster FTW! Look at Hefe from NOFX. Except I beleive he has a hot rails in the bridge, for something for distortion. You might also want to look at the '72 telecaster. Double humbucking action.
i'll look into it, if it runs around 1500, then im afraid it's outta my price range lol... im thinking about getting the strummer guitar, im not sure though. i like the look of the one tim plays, so i might try an artcore, but i've gotten bad reveiws on ibanez's of all kind so i dunno.

Fuck Canada
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Danelectro-59-Dano-Electric-Guitar?sku=514243

i like this one a lot, the look that is. i can't tell if it'll fit my style. im planning on replacing the pickups with p-90's so...

Fuck Canada
Page 1 of 2