Arlight dont ****ing bash me period......im thinking of getting the Crate GT1200H/G412SL half stack..yes i play alot of live shows and alot of the time the bars/clubs what not have a very weak pa and i wanna be be able to hold my own.. i know tubes sound better i have a marshall vr65r and i can honestly say for a tube amp it doesnt sound *THAT* great it sound pretty damn good...prolly better tone than the crate im thinking about geting...but let me ask you this.im thikning of runing my guitar through the marshall using the marshall overdrive then on the output jack runing it tt the crate using the marshall as a preamp. tell me what you think about that... will i get some tube sound..im going to guitar center at like 11am its now about 953 so respond fast if you can im going to go take a s hit.
That'd be because your marshall ISN'T a tube amp, it's a hybrid and the tube does little more than light up and look pretty. The crate is a heap of crap, and in all honesty your Marshall is pretty poor too - how much you got to spend and what kind of stuff do you play?
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
That'd be because your marshall ISN'T a tube amp, it's a hybrid and the tube does little more than light up and look pretty. The crate is a heap of crap, and in all honesty your Marshall is pretty poor too - how much you got to spend and what kind of stuff do you play?

Yes, what he said.
Gibson SG Standard
Fender 52 RI Telecaster
'77 Deluxe Reverb
Sunface w/ SunDial
MXR Carbon Copy
Crybaby

Quote by Sid McCall
Epic win. He speaks the truth, boys and girls.

Founder of the Neutral Milk Hotel club PM to join~
Don't take this as bashing, because it isn't, but the Crate really isn't good. You'd do better with a valve amp. The VR65R that you have will be valvestate, I believe, not valve, so really it's just a solid state amp. That's why it doesn't sound that much better. If you can afford to put a little more cash in, then you could probably benefit from this:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Peavey-ValveKing-112-Combo-Amp?sku=481442

Volume won't be an issue - 50 watt valve amps will sound as loud as, if not louder than, that Crate that you're looking at buying. This amp will also last longer and sound much better. You'll most likely find that, a few months down the line, you'll regret having purchased the Crate. The Peavey, on the other hand, will not have the same result.

What music do you play, and what is your total budget?

Edit: Why do I type so slow? xD
price is kinda of an issue i got a700 credit limit on my GC card and i wanna buy an sg400 epi thats like 299 and i can get the crate for 398 that seams pretty killer
the only downside about the crate(aside from what you guys have been saying) is that its 120w rms at 4 ohm and the cab is 100rms at 8 oms and dont know much about that but somthing seams wrong there like i would be geting cut in half....also i dont like the idea of such maintenance of changing the tubes and what not..im only 20 years of age and im a delivery boy who makes min wage plus decent tips and i have had alot of run ins with the law this year and im owning the state about 4 or 5 times what i plan on spending on JUST the amp so i dont wanna think oh well i need to pay my fines ect. and my guitar amp needs a tube nad im sh it out of the luck

i was looking at these two amps
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-TBX150R-Tone-Blaster-Xtreme-Guitar-Combo-Amp?sku=480945

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Crate-Flexwave-FW120-2x12-Guitar-Combo-Amp?sku=481052

adn also the Fender FM212r i belive it is im sure ur familair twith that one prolly geting a bos pedal with the fender i hear the distortion is weak as f uu ckk.

for the record i play alot of diff style of music everything from metal(norma jean bullet for my, from autumn to ashes) and hard screamo(senses fail)to indie rock(brand new my american heart)

i type slow bc planet bacon is were chuck woolery is from.
What guitar do you play at the moment? I still think the Valveking will kick the arse of any other amp that you're looking at in that price range. If you could put off getting a guitar, then you could get a really good amp. Even one of these which I have heard good things about for metal and the like:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/B52-60Watt-1x12-Tube-Combo?sku=480046

A new amp will make a bigger impact on your tone than a new guitar, so that's something to consider. Of course, if you really need a new guitar, it might be worth considering a slightly smaller amp. The Vox Valvetronix amps are really good hybrids, and would be much better than the others you're looking at, and also more versatile because they are modelling amps.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Vox-Valvetronix-AD50VT-50W-Guitar-Combo-Amp-?sku=482615
Basically every amp you've listed so far sucks donkey balls. The valveking offers the most bang for your buck by a long way. Don't worry about changing tubes - after all, you don't worry about buying guitars because you need to change strings, do you?

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Peavey-ValveKing-112-Combo-Amp?sku=481442

Don't get all hung up about big wattage values...it means nothing.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

stings are like 5 dollars man. ive seen tubes costing 40 80 150 ect. the guitar im playing now is a peavey reactor( awsome guitar) but its a tele copy and i dont get the sound i want out of it and i dont wanna swap pick ups bc i do get a good sound out of it for certain things like some of the indie i play i wouldnt wanna play with the sg . im goign to consider all what u guys said i really will take your opinions with me today when im there and mabey ill try that 50w VOX mabey ill get a smaller wattage tube oppesed to the high watage ss.

thanks guys
If you do, you won't regret it. Even the Vox would be a good buy. For what it is, they have awesome tone. Not quite as good as an all-tube amp, but closer than any other hybrid so far. Good luck in finding something that suits you, and have fun
Quote by noravitz
stings are like 5 dollars man. ive seen tubes costing 40 80 150 ect. the guitar im playing now is a peavey reactor( awsome guitar) but its a tele copy and i dont get the sound i want out of it and i dont wanna swap pick ups bc i do get a good sound out of it for certain things like some of the indie i play i wouldnt wanna play with the sg . im goign to consider all what u guys said i really will take your opinions with me today when im there and mabey ill try that 50w VOX mabey ill get a smaller wattage tube oppesed to the high watage ss.

thanks guys

You can get tubes for $10-$20 each and they need replacing every 2 years at worse, they often last a lot longer. The Valveking only has two power tubes...preamp tubes last for ages. That means your maintenance costs will be around $40 every couple of years.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Quote by noravitz
im a delivery boy who makes min wage plus decent tips and i have had alot of run ins with the law this year and im owning the state about 4 or 5 times what i plan on spending on JUST the amp

Yeah... So I'm thinking you need a lot more than just amp advice. But you do seriously need amp advice.

Roughly 90% of your sound comes from your amp, so that's what your focus should be. If you have a serviceable guitar now, you should stick with it and put the majority of your budget towards the amp. Besides, the Epi SG kinda sucks.

I'm also thinking if you have good tone, you're less likely to be angry at home and -thus- get into trouble. You also should get more gigs with good tone, and I think a legal means of income would be good for you, too.

Go with the tube combo. I'd suggest something more along the lines of the Crate V32, but the VK would probably be good for you. Maybe see what your GC has lying around used. Mine occasionally has a couple treasures.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.