One thing that has put me off buying an ESP/LTD guitar for a while at least is the pointless price up that they have here in the UK.

I'll use an LTD EC-1000 VB as an example.
On Musicians Friend, they come in on average at $800, which is just over £395.
On GAK.co.uk they come in at £770, which is about $1,550.

For an ESP Standard Series Eclipse II, so this is the real deal.
On Musicians Friend, they come in on average at $1,400, which is just over £695.
On GAK.co.uk they come in at £1160, which is about $2,340.

Why is the mark-up so ridiculously steep?
Funny words.
Because there is a much lower demand for guitars in the UK than in the US. There's also less distribution channels. That means that it costs retailers more to bring them into the country and the one's they do bring in are harder to sell...the base cost to the retailer is higher therefore the final cost is also higher.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
Because there is a much lower demand for guitars in the UK than in the US. There's also less distribution channels. That means that it costs retailers more to bring them into the country and the one's they do bring in are harder to sell...the base cost to the retailer is higher therefore the final cost is also higher.

Makes sense, but is it common for all guitars in the UK to cost nearly twice as much as they do in the US?
Funny words.
there was an article about this in guitarist magazine, and some guy posted some average statistics compared to US prices - the average amp had a 120% markup or something.
for american made guitars, yep. for the UK check thomann.de it's not always cheaper than GAK but a lot of the time it is, unless of course you're buying something UK made
Quote by I_Am_Iron_Man
Makes sense, but is it common for all guitars in the UK to cost nearly twice as much as they do in the US?

For an American made instrument yes, for a Japanese made instrument it really depends on the distribution channels, market forces, where the company is actually based etc. Same goes for amps, however European made stuff is likewise cheaper than in the US, it just so happens that the main guitar manufacturers are in the US and Japan. However, there's stuff like Framus, Hagstrom and Lag who all offer good value for money in the UK, likewise for amps the US gets shafted on Marshall, ENGL, Laney etc.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Welcome to England, where 90% of stuff is overpriced

My mate is going to America so I'm getting him to pick some pedals up for me. An MXR Micro amp is £78 here...it's $70 there. That's less than half price!
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
^ i'm doing the same. my friend jill is going over and i'm going to give her a few pictures of pedals and some money to get me stuff. she's blonde and doesn't know the first thing about guitar, so fingers crossed she comes back with the right stuff.
Quote by Kurapica

My mate is going to America so I'm getting him to pick some pedals up for me. An MXR Micro amp is £78 here...it's $70 there. That's less than half price!

Oy, in Scotland we get rip off prices too! Damn you! >_>
Quote by Kurapica

Good idea. My girlfriend's dad has been picking up a new guitar every time we go to America. I've never bothered yet because I'm a bit worried about getting it back in one piece, although he's always managed so.....maybe that Schecter can be mine
Yay for trying to cheat rip-off UK I guess!

Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
The cost of shipping guitars from America to the UK is very expensive. But on a lesser scale, the same thing's happeneing on the Canadian market too...
It's the same here in Ireland, it's not fair

Although, our minimum wage and stuff is higher than America's, so it might all work out in the end? In the USA minimum wage is $5.85 per hour, in Ireland it is €8.65 per hour - that works out as Ireland having more than twice as high minimum earnings (13 dollars? around that), so it might make more sense if you think about it.
Metal Forum Popular Vote Winner!!!

Quote by webbtje
Quote by dead-fish
And you're obviously here because you fancy Phill.
Phill is a very attractive guy...

"I'm so tempted to sig that, Phill" - Sig it then

Unless otherwise stated, assume everything I say is in my opinion.
My friend just brought back a shiny new RG2550E Prestige Ibanez from Japan.....it set him back in the region of £200 or $400 in a sale. O_o
^^
Why did Pat Metheney cross the road? He didn't, his hair got in the way
--
Member #1 of Ibanez > You club. PM me to join
Quote by steven seagull
likewise for amps the US gets shafted on Marshall, ENGL, Laney etc.

Yet, they aren't overpriced in America. They're right in range with most Fender or Boogie gear.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by steven seagull
For an American made instrument yes, for a Japanese made instrument it really depends on the distribution channels, market forces, where the company is actually based etc. Same goes for amps, however European made stuff is likewise cheaper than in the US, it just so happens that the main guitar manufacturers are in the US and Japan. However, there's stuff like Framus, Hagstrom and Lag who all offer good value for money in the UK, likewise for amps the US gets shafted on Marshall, ENGL, Laney etc.

i disagree. granted, the EU-made stuff is generally a little cheaper here, but you can get engls in rocksolid for a similar (in fact, probably cheaper due to the crapitude of the dollar at the moment) amount to europe.

IMO it's

1) less demand

2) 17.5% VAT

3) someone somewhere is making a packet out of us. it may not be the shop, it may or may not be the distributor, but someone, somewhere, is laughing at how much we pay.

no joke, I could buy a Caparison, or Fender Japan, at RETAIL pricing in Japan, and make enough profit on it to sell on in the UK at UK "new" prices. Ditto with Mesa in the US. You're looking at about 100% profit there. And that's including customs and postage.

it pisses me off, frankly. And is mainly why i buy as little as possible over here from the "big" names. I vote with my wallet.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Phill-Rock
It's the same here in Ireland, it's not fair

Although, our minimum wage and stuff is higher than America's, so it might all work out in the end? In the USA minimum wage is $5.85 per hour, in Ireland it is €8.65 per hour - that works out as Ireland having more than twice as high minimum earnings (13 dollars? around that), so it might make more sense if you think about it.

gah, stop overthinking it, it's talk like that which stops them from lowering prices!

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
the manufacturer will ask whatever thay think they can make you pay. simple as. if people stopped paying the high prices, the prices would fall.
I agree. while there are doubtless idiots everywhere, in the UK we seem to have more than our fair share, at least where buying stuff is concerned. The mentality here is almost "oh, if it costs more, it must be better!"...

o_O
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
^^ Well that's a given. How many young guitarists have you met who haven't said that about a guitar? Terrible...
Why did Pat Metheney cross the road? He didn't, his hair got in the way
--
Member #1 of Ibanez > You club. PM me to join
Quote by steven seagull
the US gets shafted on Marshall, ENGL, Laney etc.

marshall is horrible yes, but engl (not the powerballs , but the screamers and thunders) seems as reasonable as orange... and laney a little cheaper than that.

how much would they be across the pond?
Quote by Gibson_Rocker13
you are my new hero cause i do the exact same thing but i suck at it

#8 of the EHX USERS GUILD
Quote by SublimeGuitar
Orange Rocker 30. Best Marshall ever

epi firefly dsp 30, epi sg, big muff
olp five string, peavy max 158
^^ We get shafted on Marshalls too y'know, or at least we do in my area.

That's something. How much you get screwed over in the UK, really changes hugely from city to city.

Example:

Here in Bath, a Gibson Les Paul Classic Antique costs £1900 + £200 to have it specially ordered (that's about $4150 total to order in + buy it). You've got a three week wait to get it in, and if you don't buy it, you still lose your £200. I went through ordering in four different LP Classic Antiques before actually getting one I wanted to buy. That's three months, and an extra £600 (about $1200) down the drain.

Then I found out in Reading, only a short, reasonable car drive away, these guitars cost £1200, flat rate, they can get them in within about a week, no charge for ordering them.

Then online they're £1050 + £7.50 postage. Can be delivered within two days.

Then in Bristol, which is 6 minute's train away, you can get them for £950, they've got every finish sitting there on the shelf already ready to go.

Yes, I was very, very pissed off.

But hey, that's what it's like with any musical stuff in this country; in some places, you can get great gear at insanely low prices. Other towns, you're paying out a fortune just for something of average quality.

Then there's the issue of getting hold of gear. Music store here told me it'd be impossible to order in a Kramer I wanted; they said it was literally impossible to get them in this country. Yet a store in London had seven of the ****ers sitting on the shelf and said they could order in any other finish or model I wanted no problem.

Moral of this story? If you're in the UK and finding that a certain instrument or amp or whatever is going to cost you too much or seems hard to get hold of, take the time to phone up stores in other cities. They may very well have it much cheaper, or be able to get it in even though other stores say it's impossible. And never bother to buy anything from Bath
well that sucks... over here we can just show the internet price to the shop (theyll give you a dirty look) and we can get that price so long as its currently advertised....

i guess we are in a strange way the land opportunity... if only that small window could somehow allow me to afford the engl or orange though ... damn you IB... if it werent for your cousework i could be rolling in my minimum wages
Quote by Gibson_Rocker13
you are my new hero cause i do the exact same thing but i suck at it

#8 of the EHX USERS GUILD
Quote by SublimeGuitar
Orange Rocker 30. Best Marshall ever

epi firefly dsp 30, epi sg, big muff
olp five string, peavy max 158
Yes, most guitars and amps are cheaper in the U.S. but you need to stop comparing the prices. It'll drive you mad One thing that counts here is the low value of the dollar. If it went up to the same level with the euro, americans would still pay the same for their guitars but in comparison our prices wouldn't look so bad. Sometimes you find guitars that are priced the same even with the dollars weak value, like my CP60s strat (600€ in europe, $800 in the U.S.)
I'm dancing in the moonlight
It's caught me in its spotlight
Dancing in the moonlight
On this long hot summer night

Martin D-28
Quote by AluminumOxide
Move to America! :thumbsup:

or japan!

man, the prices on some of the gear there...

Quote by latinosuperstud
marshall is horrible yes, but engl (not the powerballs , but the screamers and thunders) seems as reasonable as orange... and laney a little cheaper than that.

how much would they be across the pond?

engl are pretty similar. at least when i've looked into it. just they're better value because most of the other high gainers are generally american-made, and hence a lot more expensive.

a laney vh100r head goes for around $1200, i think.

orange rockerverb 50 combo is around $2000, again i think.

Quote by bokuho
^^ We get shafted on Marshalls too y'know, or at least we do in my area.

That's something. How much you get screwed over in the UK, really changes hugely from city to city.

Example:

Here in Bath, a Gibson Les Paul Classic Antique costs £1900 + £200 to have it specially ordered (that's about $4150 total to order in + buy it). You've got a three week wait to get it in, and if you don't buy it, you still lose your £200. I went through ordering in four different LP Classic Antiques before actually getting one I wanted to buy. That's three months, and an extra £600 (about $1200) down the drain.

Then I found out in Reading, only a short, reasonable car drive away, these guitars cost £1200, flat rate, they can get them in within about a week, no charge for ordering them.

Then online they're £1050 + £7.50 postage. Can be delivered within two days.

Then in Bristol, which is 6 minute's train away, you can get them for £950, they've got every finish sitting there on the shelf already ready to go.

Yes, I was very, very pissed off.

But hey, that's what it's like with any musical stuff in this country; in some places, you can get great gear at insanely low prices. Other towns, you're paying out a fortune just for something of average quality.

Then there's the issue of getting hold of gear. Music store here told me it'd be impossible to order in a Kramer I wanted; they said it was literally impossible to get them in this country. Yet a store in London had seven of the ****ers sitting on the shelf and said they could order in any other finish or model I wanted no problem.

Moral of this story? If you're in the UK and finding that a certain instrument or amp or whatever is going to cost you too much or seems hard to get hold of, take the time to phone up stores in other cities. They may very well have it much cheaper, or be able to get it in even though other stores say it's impossible. And never bother to buy anything from Bath

that's disgusting; you have my condolences.

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
gah, stop overthinking it, it's talk like that which stops them from lowering prices!

Hmmm...

If it'll lower prices I'll claim to be mentally ill and agree with high prices.

Then they'll have to change it.
Metal Forum Popular Vote Winner!!!

Quote by webbtje
Quote by dead-fish
And you're obviously here because you fancy Phill.
Phill is a very attractive guy...

"I'm so tempted to sig that, Phill" - Sig it then

Unless otherwise stated, assume everything I say is in my opinion.