Well with my birthday coming up and having saved money beforehand, I will finally have enough to look for an amp. I have around 550 pound to spend and going used is an option. I would like to be able to get tones like becker/gilbert, and possibly lesser gain stuff like Muse. I would like to have an effects loop as I want to use delay etc. An amp I've been looking at is the LaneyGH50L. It seems to has what I look for in an amp. Only thing I have against it is 50 watts is a bit overkill. I've been trying to find a store near me that stocks the Laney but no luck so far. Would the Laney handle everything I need? Or do you have any suggestions that would suit me better? Cheers UG.
Gear

Ibanez S520EX
Gordon Smith electric guitar
Zoom GFX-707 Multi-effects
Crappy starter amp
maybe it's just me being old fashioned, but i still believe you can get any tone you want out of a marshall. because there's a knob on it called "contour", and i don't knw what it changes, but man is it useful. they also have 4 channels on most of their amps. so try one of those b4 anything else.
I can't stand watching people waste their money on horrible gear.
GH50L sounds good. Not sure if it'll do the styles you want, since I don't play those, but they are nice sounding amps none the less. Also, perhaps you might be interested in ENGL amps? Though I'm not sure if they do any particularly small amps. I think most are at least 50 watts, but that shouldn't be too bad.

Quote by tallaxegrinder
because there's a knob on it called "contour", and i don't knw what it changes, but man is it useful.

I believe that's the mid control, though I'm not 100% sure.
theres this 30 watt laney combo with 2 12 inch speakers which is a rarity, its Class A too which is sought after, but requires a fan constantly blowing away at the valves at hot times. not massively huge gain, not quite muse but with the money left over that you would have a nice little pedal can give it a push

http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/vc30-212/378

the picture is wrong, thats the 1 speaker version. but something to think about?
^ That amp looks very tempting. Would that be able to give me the muse tone I want? And would I have to buy a overdrive pedal to put in into shred territory? I have nothing against buying an overdrive pedal, just nice to know beforehand.
Gear

Ibanez S520EX
Crappy starter amp
this amp isn't as hot as a marshall, which bellamy uses live. but sounds from Black holes and revelations can happen from the laney, think take a bow, supermassive blackhole, the more rock 'n' roll style, rather than the metal sounding Absolution album. i cant say ive played it but the soundclips on the laney site show the setting its played in

a fuzz pedal and distortion/overdrive would be needed to cover muse's spectrum of guitar sounds and to get into shredland

maybe a peavey? they'll cover all bases

i cudnt recommend a marshall combo but i'm not a metal man
Quote by Denthúl

I believe that's the mid control, though I'm not 100% sure.

Yes, the contour is like a backwards mid control. The higher you turn it, the more you scoop your mids.
VC is probably a bad idea for the likes of muse. You'd be better off with the LC30, more gain, more modern sound. As far as i'm aware he doesn't actually use the ff that much, only for plug in baby.
Also I went to see em in winter last year and i'm pretty sure he wasn't using a marshall. Some scary metalish looking thing, could've been the Soldano, Diezel or whatnot, I don't remember exactly. But it wasn't marshall. I suppose the beuty of muse is how difficult it'd be to get anywhere near his sound on a low budget... Some kind of high gain amp is a must.
Hmm thanks for the advice. My main tones I am looking for are Muse, Becker and Gilbert, so the VC won't be the way to go?
Gear

Ibanez S520EX
Crappy starter amp
Quote by Delta-dragoon
Hmm thanks for the advice. My main tones I am looking for are Muse, Becker and Gilbert, so the VC won't be the way to go?

The VC50 isn't the same as the 30 or 15 - it's an old discontinued 2x12 combo of the VH100R. I have one and it'll do Muse and Gilbert great (gilbert used one himself for a long time). I can't comment on the becker stuff, because I don't listen to him.

A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
If it's discontinued then I'll need to find it used then I guess. Has anyone got anymore suggestions?
Gear

Ibanez S520EX
Crappy starter amp
Bump. More input is very welcome guys. At the moment the best idea is checking used for a VC50. Does anyone have more suggestions? To recap looking for tones from Muse to gilbert/becker-ish, 550 pounds.
Gear

Ibanez S520EX
Crappy starter amp
The VC50 and VH100R are basically the GH50L with an added clean channel.

Gilbert used a GH100L and its possible to get a tone pretty much identical to his through a GH50L (I tried it out). It has more than enough gain for anything as well. I think it'll do Muse to although I don't know much about their sound. Don't they use fuzz pedals?

I'd take the GH50L over the VC30 for what you play. Bear in mind that the GH50L is a very loud amp though.
Schecter C1 Classic Left Handed
Line 6 POD HD500
Peavey Valveking 112
Quote by Axeman99
The VC50 and VH100R are basically the GH50L with an added clean channel.

And the drive on the clean channel, which is like a crunch channel.

I think the VH and VC50 have a bit more gain though. Possibly a little different in voicing.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
Quote by Stentroll
5150/6505?

Don't advise getting amps you have no clue about- 6505 is FAR too brutal for what he wants
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
Yeah a 5150/6505 would be FAR too much gain for me. GH50L is beginning to look like the winner.
Gear

Ibanez S520EX
Crappy starter amp