I can play chords and fingerpick really well but where i feel stunted is that i am not confident in listening to music and picking up the strum pattern. I have often used a program to slow the song down...but I would appreciate any tips to pick up or learn strum patterns to songs i like. Is there a site with strum patterns to songs?

Also if anyone can help with Nina Nastasias - Birds of Cuzco .... i hear the repeating bass but not sure how shes picking.

thanks for help!!
Just experiment and practice, that's all you can do really. You'll pick it up eventually, you can't expect everything to just come to you
use your ears, then when your actually strumming, make your arm go up and down like a metronome (no icy hot needed), a solid rhythm, and try to pick up from there.
My Gear:
Gibson Faded Flying V
"Dante's Inferno" Iceman
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe 112
etc.

Quote by freedoms_stain
I can't imagine anything worse than shagging to Mark Knopfler.

Maybe shagging Mark Knopfler, but that's about it.
That's one of the thing that come naturally in time, just keep listening to the song and get used to the flow and the timing, and then you'll quite easily in time strum along.
If u know a bit theory (just what a bar is, pauses and the values of the particular notes), launch ur song in gp5, slow it down and try to play it. U can play along with metronome, too.

http://www.metronomeonline.com/
Quote by kop4
If u know a bit theory (just what a bar is, pauses and the values of the particular notes), launch ur song in gp5, slow it down and try to play it. U can play along with metronome, too.

http://www.metronomeonline.com/

Not everyone has gp. I would recommend powertabs. It's pretty much as good and it is free. You can actually download it from UG. Go into any powertab and in the download tab page you will see a link.

As for the strumming, practice practice practice! Try various songs with different types of strum patterns. I recommend wonderwall by oasis. It's a good popular tune to get started on. Also practice a bit yourself. Make up your own patterns. Once you have got something you like, practice it until you can really play it well. Without mistakes and without thinking about it. The metronome is also a must have for every guitarist. An example of how to use it properly would be:

Find an easy strum pattern like: 4 eight notes followed by two quarter notes. That is 4 beats in a bar. An easy 4/4. Then you will hav 1 clicks of the metronome per quarter note, 4 per bar. This said:

2 eight notes=1 quarter note. Sooo with this in mind. In the strum pattern we have it's 1 click for 2 eight notes. So you would strum: 2 eight notes(click)2 eight notes(click)quarter note(click)quarter note(click). So the eight notes are faster than quarter notes. Or better still, they are half the quarter notes value.

Right, so now you can play that at sixty? Time to notch it up. Put it a 64. Practice it like that for a good while. Everytime you can play it smoothly without mistakes push it up again. Do this with all kind of rhythms, adding rests as you get better: Then add some random chords and practice the changes back at sixty again and repeat the process. Then add some mutes. Then add some barre chords and so on. Soon you will be able to dissect all kinds of strumming patterns!

Don't forget, it takes time, for my first year of playing I SUCKED at this. Really, I was a heap of **** at strum progressions, I couldn't get a steady rhythm going, I couldn't change chords, I was always out of time. Don't let yourself get discouraged because you can't get it at first. I all comes with time.
Last edited by confusius at Sep 2, 2007,
dangit nevermind
Quote by FriskyDrisky
haha i dunno know. like if i sh*t or fart i know they smell really bad, but I enjoy the smell. Like I'll fart on my hand and then smell my hand. I dont think thats normal though...
ok thanks..you have helped alot..i will get the progs and i already have a metronome...its hard to understand how the basics help when u r a beginner..i realised this after not liking my scales then realising how easy it makes things down the line and stretching my fingers. dang ...more sweat and tears....