Page 1 of 2
Hi,I want to buy a new amp next week and I saw the Marshall MG30 DFX on the internet before,but some users wrote that this amp is pretty bad,and some others said that it's the greatest amp the ever had...So my question is: what are your experiences with this amp like?I hope you can tell me something about it,because I'm short on experience of amps .
avoid this amp at all costs. these people do not know the meaning of good tone. get a 30 watt laney, i forgot the model, my mate has one and the valve warmth is amazing
you should probably play it with a distortion pedal or something, because the overdrive channel on it sucks. it actually gives me a headache.
Its crap, it sounds bad i cant even say it would be good to carry around for just practicing as they have really bad speakers which are very unreliable
i have a 50 dfx aq bad choice i could have made i got it when i was new to the guitar game and because it said marshall i thought it was gonna be ace is ok nothing special u really have to tweek it to get a good sound my advice get something else
i think this is a joke thread, its his very first post and he only joined, some bored kid maybe?
MIM-v-MIA:
Quote by OneRust
The mexican one is made by mexicans in mexico, the american one is made by mexicans in california

Fender Stratocaster
Crafter D-8 Acoustic
ProTek 80w PA System
Marshall TSL602 Combo
Fender Mini Tweed Twin-Amp
Boss DS-2
Boss CH-1
Anyone who says it's the greatest amp they've ever had must not have much experience with amps. They have average cleans and flat lifeless overdrives, and the effects are pretty much unadjustable. I've never owned one but most people who've owned one for any length of time have made complaints, some people after a few days.
When altitude dropping, my ears started popping. One more red nightmare...
Stay the hell away from Marshall MG's dude, I have one and they're the biggest pieces of crap in the world.
Get a Laney.
I got really close to buying the mg half stack, due to Wayne Static suggesting it, until I actually played an mg. My 15 watt crate sounds a thousand times better than the 30 watt mg, and its not even something special.....
For metal Roland Cube. For everything else (and maybe metal depending on your tastes) a good 5 watt tube combo. 3 models under $200 USD.
I own one, unfortunately. The clean channel and the overdrive function are horrendous. Although with my Bad Monkey pedal, it's not too bad. But I strongly suggest going with something different.
Ive never owned one before, play it to see if you like it.
86% of the people who frequent the "Electric Guitar" forum would say that they have played guitar for under 5 years.
*head explodes... again*

just don't get a MG. honestly.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
^

it just sounds like a bee in a jamjar. it's horrible.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I think im the only one who does not like the Cube. The cleans are meh and the distortion are horrible. Vox are way better.
Guitars
- Schecter Tempest
- Epi LP Custom
- Ovation Acoustic
- BC Rich Dagger
Quote by suprfly

Amps & Effects
- B-52 AT-100
- Girlfriend (doubles as a Tube Screamer)
- Steve Vai Bad horsie 2

Quote by MightyAl
This strength is built and maintained by masturbation.
the vox valvetronix's are pretty sweet too.
But laney is always a good choice.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Quote by Dave_Mc
^

it just sounds like a bee in a jamjar. it's horrible.

Not to mention kind of cruel on the bee.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
yeah. they beat it around a bit too. A lively bee in a jam jar sounds too good, if they went with that, they'd probably cannibalise some of the avt sales. so they need a pretty lethargic/beaten up bee.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
lol alot of people hate it, ive got/selling a marshall mg50dfx, ive had it for 2 years and its a great amp, to be honest if you've just started playing theres nothing wrong with it, im sure itl sound better than whatever you've got at the moment,

im moving on now to get an orange amp because im starting to spend more on guitasr/amps, you really need to try it to see if you like it, the clean is great and the distortion is really versitile, it might not be the nicest sounding amp but for the money, i think its worth it.

EDIT** there are better amps for the money

EDIT** I had really only just started playing when i got this amp, so i thought it sounded amazing, but you need to try some and see what you prefer.
Last edited by fusion48 at Sep 6, 2007,
I own an mg50dfx and it was a bit of a waste of a purchase i was new to the whole amp thing and just got it despite advice and without any pedals it is horrible, however with my PODXT and the FDD channel on the amp turned on its pretty nice but thats all the work of the PODXT, the MG on its own its pretty damn horrible.
Quote by Swat Man
someone has to quote me for that or ill cry

Sigged!

Ok I lied
Quote by entity0009
some retards decided it would be funny to use mental conditions as insults.
People say that it's the best amp they have ever had, have only owned one amp.
FOR AWESOME HANDWOUND PICKUPS, CONTACT CorduroyEW
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123
Good for you. Have a cookie.

But really... there's no cookie. And if there was, you wouldn't get one.
im in the same position dani california. i love the sound of the marshall but there are really mixed reveiws and im really confused
Quote by led+metallica
im in the same position dani california. i love the sound of the marshall but there are really mixed reveiws and im really confused

epic bump, much?

I'm sick to death of explaining why marshall MGs are such bad amps. They do not give you the tone marshall are famous for. They are just cheap, poor quality amps that are completely worthless. As for the halfstack, or 100 watt combo etc - these, are oversized versions, which are just as bad, only more expensive.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

Yeah it isn't the best amp for the money but most people telling you its crap probably havn't played it, ultimate guitar forum is a bandwagon. Play it see if you like it, but there are other amps better overall for the money. I did own one and it's not totally bad like people make it out to be. If you play about with it you can get some pretty nice sounds out of it.
Quote by Blue145
Yeah it isn't the best amp for the money but most people telling you its crap probably havn't played it, ultimate guitar forum is a bandwagon. Play it see if you like it, but there are other amps better overall for the money. I did own one and it's not totally bad like people make it out to be. If you play about with it you can get some pretty nice sounds out of it.

like me, i think they are just telling everyone its crap because thats a quick summary of their overall opinions, and that they have used them. The shop i go in quite often always plugs the guitars into MGs, they even plugged my Fender Cyclone into one when i was trying it out. i didn't buy it until i heard it through a decent amp.

The cleans are bearable, as with most cheap amps you can get an acceptable clean tone. Its the distortion on the MGs which is terrible. it has no dynamics, and unless you turn the gain to 10 for "teh brootalz" it just sounds horrible and gritty.

The MG is dreadful.

Get a Laney LC15R.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Quote by uldhppi
For metal Roland Cube. For everything else (and maybe metal depending on your tastes) a good 5 watt tube combo. 3 models under $200 USD.

yea i love my champion 600.

to threadstarter, do you really need 50watts? sounds overkill to me. get a nice 15watt tube amp and you'll be much better off. remember 15watts tube is much louder then 15watts solid state
2003 Music Man Axis Pacific Blue Burst
I had the MG series half stack and it was terrible. The tone is flat and the distortion is very weak. Stay away from the MG series.
Quote by cleft11
avoid this amp at all costs. these people do not know the meaning of good tone. get a 30 watt laney, i forgot the model, my mate has one and the valve warmth is amazing

Laney VC30?
I really want one of those amps
/CENTER]
i dunno bout the whole MG series but the 30 is absolutely pish, i dont have 1 but have regularly played on my friends, it sucks bad although he disagrees (prob cos it is only his second amp, his first was a tiny wee squier amp so he hasnt really got much idea bout amps), i dunno what you should get but i know you shouldnt get the MG30
There's no point fearing death, as it is inevitably going to happen

ESP Ltd H-302
Jackson KE3 (for sale)
Schecter Blackhawk
Roland Cube 60
why is everone saying this amps bad? i've got it and it's ace! it might be cos the only other amps ive every played through were rubbish 10 watt and 15 watt amps of makes no one has heard of, but i think its an amazing amp, the effects are ace, and the sound is ace 10/10.
Quote by chrishoulton
why is everone saying this amps bad? i've got it and it's ace! it might be cos the only other amps ive every played through were rubbish 10 watt and 15 watt amps of makes no one has heard of, but i think its an amazing amp, the effects are ace, and the sound is ace 10/10.

there ya go. although i can't imagine any amps being worse than the MG... I've never played anything worse.

Quote by Swat Man
someone has to quote me for that or ill cry

There there, don't cry.

Anyway, yeah. MGs suck. Period. They have such terrible sounds it's not even funny, and they are one of two reasons why I have officially boycotted Zakk Wylde, the other reason being that every other note he plays is a pinch harmonic. Which is, of course, annoying.

My advice, get a Vox AD30VT-XL. Awesome amp for the money, and sounds superb. The Roland Cube 30X is a good alternative, but IMO the Vox sounds better.
Heads will roll. Throats will be slit. Blood will flow like springs of water.
I own one, its mediocre, i use effects, rather than the ****ty OD channel.

We also have one at school, blew up today.

Not just sparked, it caught fire while i was doing Crazy Train for my GCSE

Guess im too rock
Quote by .arkness:.
I see my guitar as a chick because I'd be damned if i were ever holding / fingering a guy for hours a day.

I lulzed.
Quote by Coaxke
I own one, its mediocre, i use effects, rather than the ****ty OD channel.

We also have one at school, blew up today.

Not just sparked, it caught fire while i was doing Crazy Train for my GCSE

Guess im too rock

[insert "crushing overdrive" joke here]
Page 1 of 2