Hey all,

So I want to change gauge of string....I use 0.09 now ...I want to use 0.10 strings.
Thing is...I know after you do that you are supposed to do something to the bridge (or neck, i'm not sure ...) so that the neck doesn't bend.
So what should I do ?
I have a fender american deluxe strat

tnx
How would you like to be an egg? You only get laid once. It takes 4 minutes to get hard, 2 minutes to get soft. You share your box with 9 other guys. But worst of all: the only chick that ever sat on your face was your mother. So cheer up...
you have to check the intonation and maybe adjust the truss rod, no big deal
Dean ML79F w/ Dimarzio X2N
Peavey Star
Fender Sonoran
Fender CD 140S12

Quote by Jastul
if you want it to sound really dirty just rub some dirt on your amp...
Either tighten up the two screws at the back, so there is more tension, or add a spring at the back. Pretty simple really.

If the neck starts to bend (Which it shouldn't) just adjust the truss rod until the neck is flat.

What brand are you using?
Quote by Rum Monkey
Either tighten up the two screws at the back, so there is more tension, or add a spring at the back.

and that. just forgot to say it
Peavey Star
Fender Sonoran
Fender CD 140S12

Quote by Jastul
Quote by Rum Monkey
Either tighten up the two screws at the back, so there is more tension, or add a spring at the back. Pretty simple really.

What brand are you using?

Which screws? the one on the bridge? I use d'addario or elixir ...depending on what the music shop have...

And yeah..."tighten up" ..I mean how do I know how much should be tight? I mean...I have a pretty expansive guitar and i don't want to damage anything
How would you like to be an egg? You only get laid once. It takes 4 minutes to get hard, 2 minutes to get soft. You share your box with 9 other guys. But worst of all: the only chick that ever sat on your face was your mother. So cheer up...
on the back of your guitar is a black cover, behind it you'll find the springs that hold the trem in position. the springs are attached with two screws, by just screwing them deeper into your guitars body, you increase the tension, so the trem won't come up when you have the bigger strings put on
Peavey Star
Fender Sonoran
Fender CD 140S12

Quote by Jastul
you don't need to do that if the bridge isn't coming up after changing the strings
Peavey Star
Fender Sonoran
Fender CD 140S12

Quote by Jastul
Quote by Adry007
Which screws? the one on the bridge? I use d'addario or elixir ...depending on what the music shop have...

And yeah..."tighten up" ..I mean how do I know how much should be tight? I mean...I have a pretty expansive guitar and i don't want to damage anything

The tremolo springs, under the plate where you string through, as it's a string-thru bridge. Be careful with those and the truss rod. Always loosen first, so see how tight the screw is and work in 1/8 turn increments. You'll probably only need to adjust the truss rod by that anyway.
Quote by National_Anthem
The tremolo springs, under the plate where you string through, as it's a string-thru bridge. Be careful with those and the truss rod. Always loosen first, so see how tight the screw is and work in 1/8 turn increments. You'll probably only need to adjust the truss rod by that anyway.

and how do i adjust the truss rod? do i need some special equipmet or just with a screwdriver?

sorry to bother you all
you need an allen wrench, the adjustment screw is either on your headstock( under a little plate) or its on the other end of you fretboard, by turning it clockwise, you make the neck bow-like and if you turn it counterclockwise, it will be bent into the other direction
Peavey Star
Fender Sonoran
Fender CD 140S12

Quote by Jastul
ok, tnx everybody for the help ...i'll give it a try
i'd suggest practicing your truss rod adjustments on a cheaper/not cared for guitar first. you can easily ruin a neck if you don't know what you are doing. keep in mind that when you adjust your truss rod you should let the neck settle for a couple hours before doing another adjustment.
Gibson Explorer
Jackson Soloist SL3
Orange Tiny Terror
Mesa 2x12
Quote by Adry007
and how do i adjust the truss rod? do i need some special equipmet or just with a screwdriver?

sorry to bother you all

An allen wrench, usually.
You may have a cover, like this:

in which case you will have to remove it to expose this:

I never usually bother putting the cover back on.

An easy way of adjusting it is to look at the distance at the 6th fret. The greater the gap, the more you will tighten the nut. If you had no gap you will be loosening the nut. You want a very small gap at the 6th fret. Make a mark in pen on the truss rod adjuster so you can reset the adjustments you have made if needs be.