Sorry if this has been done before, I searched and got a MySQL error.
My bassist is looking into tuning his 4-string bass to a drop D tuning and a B-standard tuning. The problem is this, he uses a lot of guitar effects, and they sound weak on the E-string, as it is, but tuning the E-string down to D, or even B only makes the problem worse. Are there any ways around this? Thanks in advance
If he's going for B standard tuning, then why not buy a 5 string.....you could still play all of the drop D stuff on a 5 string also.....unless you like to use a lot of pedal note riffs (metalcore stylee)
Well, "guitar" effects are gonna sound week on a bass just for the simple fact they aren't designed for such low frequencies. Basically, the best way around would be to get "bass" specific effects, since they are designed for the low frequencies. Also, make sure to actually try them out before buying to make sure you get the right brand.
I am a lucid dream to the illusionary slumber
Wading in a cesspool of forgotten memory
An insignificant host to the collective subconscious

~Sacred Slumber
The reason he is using guitar effects is, for pedals like Digitech Whammy, the guitar version is considerably cheaper than the bass version, and it simply isn't worth the extra money (which is a hell of a lot). He has tried them, and they worked fine with the bass in standard, a little weaker than with guitar, but that's to be expected. When he tunes to B standard, though, the difference is huge from E standard. Would compression help at all?
And he is happy with his bass, there is no need to get a 5-string, and he has not the money, anyway.
i don't see how a compressor would help unless you're talking about it actually dampening the signal at the low end so it's quieter...If that's the case i suppose you could run the compressor kinda high and make everything quieter....you'd just have to run the compressor after the whammy in your effects chain(as it would be pointless to make it quieter and then run it through the whammy because you'd still have the same problem)....but i'm not very good at this sort of thing. maybe someone else can comment on what i've said and then we'll know for sure.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775
Fender p bass special deluxe

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
listen to revelation, for he is wise in the way of bass-fu
Quote by mhylands
Well, "guitar" effects are gonna sound week on a bass just for the simple fact they aren't designed for such low frequencies. Basically, the best way around would be to get "bass" specific effects, since they are designed for the low frequencies. Also, make sure to actually try them out before buying to make sure you get the right brand.

+1. Just ask him to stop using effects if it's possible, or get the guitars to play with less gain when he uses distortion.
Quote by Demonikk
+1
I live by the method: 3 or less orange warning labels, and it's safe as a kitten

Quote by Charlatan_001
EDIT: Sammcl pretty much got it dead on.
His distortion is his only bass effect. It's not really a problem, he doesn't use his whammy often, and we just spent a long time EQing his amp and the wah sounds good now. Thanks anyway.
EDIT: We just used lots of compression before and after whammy, sounds much better. Thanks everyone
Last edited by National_Anthem at Sep 2, 2007,