Like the title says - who owns a new Vox XL series amp, and how does it handle metal and high gain stuff? Is a metal muff still mandatory? what do you think?
I think I heard someone on these forums say that the xl was a little thin sounding and disappointing for metal.
Oh no! that's terrible! I was thinking about ordering one on line that's why I was asking. But I play straight thrash. So I wanted a high gain modeling amp to replace my Cube 60, but evidently the cube may still rule my practice room. Damn. I saw the XL line is for sale now @ least here in the US and everybody talked about 'em forever so I thought for SURE somebody here would have wrote a review. I did a search and found nothing though. Dang. Thin sounding? That breaks my heart.
If you want thick distortion you may want to consider a tube combo. Look used for best deals. If you get in a hurry to make a purchase you may be singing the blues later.
Hey, I'm in StL too. And no, I'm in no hurry to get anything. I have a modded 6505 half stack. I know tubes real well, they are ALL our friends, lol. I just wanted to look @ getting A Vox XL series for a practice amp to replace my Roland Cube 60. That's why I was inquiring. I heard the XL line from Vox was a high gain amp for us metal types. I see it's for sale now and I thought FOR SURE people here would have them and be talking about them by now...
I don't think there are that many of them out there yet. It may take a few months to get any significant feedback. Greetings to another guitar player stuck in the rear end of the known world. Hope you get to jam a little bit this weekend. My jam kind of fell through, thus I am stuck at home today posting on UG. Got some barbecue and beer on ice, though. Tommorow I get to play with my buddies. Have a good holiday.
Well if youre looking for a kinda compromise, leave it a few months and try out a Line6/Bogner combo, theyre due out soon!
I THINK theyre called a Valve Spider, but not entirely sure because I only got a coupla second glance at the form.
I work in a small music store and we're due in 2-3 when theyre ready
Line 6/Bogner combo, HUH?!? I'm scanning for sarcasm here. Are you serious?
Ok, real musicians don't really look to line 6 for tone. Although I'm not calling their stuff junk except for the Spider lineup. Bogner anything is unaffordable for me probably. I heard a Bogner half stack for the first time a year ago. Amazing. But being a metal head my 6505 half stack at 1/2 price cuts it JUST FINE. Please elaborate on your post.
Personally I think you should just get rid of that junky tube stuff and get a real Marshall (MG.)
Quote by TheEsupremacy
Ok, real musicians don't really look to line 6 for tone. Although I'm not calling their stuff junk except for the Spider lineup. Bogner anything is unaffordable for me probably. I heard a Bogner half stack for the first time a year ago. Amazing. But being a metal head my 6505 half stack at 1/2 price cuts it JUST FINE. Please elaborate on your post.

Bogner and line 6 developed a valve spider together, google it.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
I like that Marshall MG comment, that really weeds out the deaf from the living, lol.
I just googled that info, I had never heard of it before it does sound interesting but I really think SOMEBODY here has a new VOX XL series amp @ home. Everybody on here talked about 'em for so long. They have been out over a month now.
Wait a minute, It's CALLED a SPIDER AMP series still. OMG. Even with TUBES that kind of scares me...
^ i think it could be a very stupid move (tarnish the amp before it's even tried and tested properly) or it could be a great marketing scheme. for example it turns out to be one of THE greatest amps to date, and suddenly everyone (by that i mean noobs) will buy the spider 3's, more than now, thinking it's going to own. devious or stupid, only time will tell.
Quote by TheEsupremacy

its seems exciting... i mean an affordable (semi)bogner... but putting the spider name on it kind ****s all over the allure... ill still try it out when i can
Quote by Gibson_Rocker13
you are my new hero cause i do the exact same thing but i suck at it

#8 of the EHX USERS GUILD
Quote by SublimeGuitar
Orange Rocker 30. Best Marshall ever

epi firefly dsp 30, epi sg, big muff
olp five string, peavy max 158
Tried them out on Saturday, and they're terrible. Sorry to tell you. A bit of a let down for me considering how much great amps Vox has.
i have high hopes for the spider valve...if it does all the things line 6 says it can do, it will be one awesome amplifier.....im keeping my fingers crossed, if they could bring tube sound to modling amps with good effects....this could be very big indeed
I havent tried it but from what I have heard its not meant to be that good! if you want a decent SS amp for metal check out le Randall RG series and Cube series!
IMO, VOX just doesn't excel in the high gain region. They should just stick to their area of expertise. I'm not saying the Valvetronix series is bad, but I don't think the XL will be that good.
Ben
I HAVE PLAYED ONE. If you live in manhattan, they have them across the street from samash on 48th, i think its called Manny's or something, the one right across the street. I tried their roland 60 AND the vox xl 50 (with the two speakers). I can honestly tell you that the only reason i havent bought a roland 60 is because i was waiting for the vox. I shouldnt have waited! The vox sounds very muddy on higher distortion, it does not sound good turned up to high volumes, it is very big for a 50watt, and for metal the cube simply sounds better. I should also mention that its like 100 dollars more expensive, though tube and built better and two speakers, the necessary sound quality is not there in my opinion. If you play hard rock, metal, or need high gain and sustain, the roland cube 60 is a much better choice.
Warrior Generation X Double Cutaway - EMG 85's
Schecter C1 Classic - ZW EMG's
Fender Strat - DG20 EMG's
Yamaha Acoustic-Electric
Metal Zone
Roland Cube 60
BIG STUBBIES!
etc.
Quote by TheEsupremacy

So... Metallica, U2, Tom Morello, Meshuggah, Matt Bellamy, and John Frusciante aren't real musicians? interesting....
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Mesa Single Rectifier (Series 1)
Fender Custom Shop Tonemaster
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Digidesign Eleven RackAxe Fx Ultra
Quote by Reincaster
So... Metallica, U2, Tom Morello, Meshuggah, Matt Bellamy, and John Frusciante aren't real musicians? interesting....
Metallica uses Mesa Rectifiers, not ****ing spiders!
WTF!
Quote by FRDesign
Metallica uses Mesa Rectifiers, not ****ing spiders!
WTF!

But Metallica uses Line 6 Variax guitars, as well as DL-4s. I never said they used spiders, but that they used Lin 6, learn to read.

TheEsupremacy said real musicians don't look to line 6 for tone, yet all of the mentioned artists have used Line 6 effects, guitars or amps either live or in studio.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Mesa Single Rectifier (Series 1)
Fender Custom Shop Tonemaster
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Digidesign Eleven RackAxe Fx Ultra
Last edited by Reincaster at Sep 4, 2007,
The Line6 Spider Valve is pretty awesome sounding, but saying that I didnt get the chance to crank it, so couldnt hear the valve input.

The XL is horrid.
It sounds like a 90 year old chain-smoker gasping for her last breath...underwater.