I know that for me at least, and many of my friends (the ones most seriously into music), sad music has always been the most powerful and emotionally moving. I've always thought that was kinda strange, I mean, what is it about us that makes us find deeply melancholic music more moving and beautiful than happy, joyful music (usually)?

Discuss.
Happy music can easily be as beautiful as sad music. It just depends how you look at it.
.Brand New.Bright Eyes.This Will Destroy You.

THRRRRRRRREADKILLER!
because the 'sad' feeling is easyer to expres in a song.. than being happy I guess

--------------------
-------------------
------------------
-----------------
----------------
---------------

Because it makes our emotions move with the mood in which you are in. Thats why when you good metal makes you drive faster (aggression) Why slow piano songs make some people cry and etc.
Originally posted by J_Dizzle
THAAAANK YOU GoodCharloteSux is god
I really don't like sad music. Dirge, the world doesn't suck, either. if the world sucks, then what else can we do? How do we know it sucks if we have no other world to compare it to? it makes sense that 50% of people have below average lives, but you can't say that the entire world sucks and 50% of people like sad music more than happy music. sorry, random philosophical rant is over.
Quote by hrdcorelaxplaya
I really don't like sad music. Dirge, the world doesn't suck, either. if the world sucks, then what else can we do? How do we know it sucks if we have no other world to compare it to? it makes sense that 50% of people have below average lives, but you can't say that the entire world sucks and 50% of people like sad music more than happy music. sorry, random pseudo-philosophical rant is over.

Fix'd.

Sad music drives us to emotion in the same way that an opera would drive you to tears more then a cartoon on Nick would make you happy.
Because you feel great after the sadness passes over. It's like when you experience something really sad, like the death of a close relative; at first you feel hopeless, but when you finally move on you will feel empowered, free and happy.
Quote by WNxScythe
I know that for me at least, and many of my friends (the ones most seriously into music), sad music has always been the most powerful and emotionally moving. I've always thought that was kinda strange, I mean, what is it about us that makes us find deeply melancholic music more moving and beautiful than happy, joyful music (usually)?

Discuss.

Anyone can feel happy. Some people are insensitive and just don't show sadness. Sadness therefore shows emotional depth.
OR
We feel sympathy for the artist.
OR
Hell, I don't know. These are bull**** guesses.
I play by my own rules. And I have one rule; There are no rules... but if there are, they're there to be broken. Even this one.

Confused? Good.

Quote by CrucialGutchman
Sigs are wastes of my precious screen space.

^ Irony

Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
LET ME HUMP YOU DAMMIT
Welcome to EMO world! Nah, just kidding.
Quote by RiotSquad
mom take me to the doctor i cant stop cumming in wrestling
Quote by Cameronrobson
bobby, I've got poutine in my urethra

CLICK HERE FOR FREE SEX!
Has anyone thought of the fact we feel sadness in a more potent form than happyness?

Sadness can bring alot more variations in feeling bad (many forms of depression, anxiety, rejection, etc etc) where as being happy is alot more straight forward!

Hope that sheds some light on the fact.
Quote by Jackolas
Has anyone thought of the fact we feel sadness in a more potent form than happyness?

Sadness can bring alot more variations in feeling bad (many forms of depression, anxiety, rejection, etc etc) where as being happy is alot more straight forward!

Hope that sheds some light on the fact.

I don't think the fact that there are more variations explains the emotional side, but I do think it explains why people find it easier to write sad songs.
I play by my own rules. And I have one rule; There are no rules... but if there are, they're there to be broken. Even this one.

Confused? Good.

Quote by CrucialGutchman

^ Irony

Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
LET ME HUMP YOU DAMMIT
I've always thought that its not beautiful BECAUSE its sad, but the most beautiful of music pieces are written by people who were sad at the time.
Quote by break-me-in
I don't think the fact that there are more variations explains the emotional side, but I do think it explains why people find it easier to write sad songs.

True. I guess sad songs are indeed easier to write, maybe it's because they are taken more seriously, and seen as less, cheesy?

Okay I put that badly, but its hard to put into words.
Quote by Jackolas
True. I guess sad songs are indeed easier to write, maybe it's because they are taken more seriously, and seen as less, cheesy?

I think it's that people have a harder time feeling... I guess "cool" is the best word, when they listen to a song about having a good time. when you listen to a sad song, you feel a degree of pity for the lyricist, and therefore feel happier about your own life and feel like it's beautiful. hope that made sense.
Quote by Jackolas

No I understood what you meant. Most happy songs do seem cheesier (for lack of a better word). They often have simpler lyrics - There are a multitude of ways to make someone sad, but if you're happy, you'll never really have much to say about it. I suppose technically most sad music is venting then. Although music is supposed to be an emotional outlet anyway...

Confused? Good.

Quote by CrucialGutchman

^ Irony

Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
LET ME HUMP YOU DAMMIT
Quote by hrdcorelaxplaya
I think it's that people have a harder time feeling... I guess "cool" is the best word, when they listen to a song about having a good time. when you listen to a sad song, you feel a degree of pity for the lyricist, and therefore feel happier about your own life and feel like it's beautiful. hope that made sense.

I disagree, when I listen to Youth Gone Wild by Skid Row I feel like driving my car 80 mph and partying. But inversely when I hear Creep by Stone Temple Pilots it doesn't make me wanna shoot heroine and fall down a well.
I've never been emotionally moved by a "sad" song... I don't really know what you mean by sad.. I mean, someone singing "oh no everything has gone wrong" certainly isn't going to move me. It's usually the hope, or the anger in a song that moves people. Like Won't Get Fooled Again, that scream is moving, it's like angry but also shows human spirit.. erm "Hallelujah" by Jeff Buckley.. Singing "Hallelujah" 4 times over in a chorus certainly doesn't show sadness to me, it's more hope.
Because people who care to write sad music usually are ****ing good songwriters in the first place, no one else bothers to.
Quote by Robbie n strat
In the changing rooms we'd all jump around so our dicks and balls bounced all over the place, which we found hilarious.

Little children should be felt, not heard.
When your sad you can relate better it it, when your angry you can realte to metal more, when your happy a happy song would move you more.

ESP LTD MH-350NT
Hughes & Kettner Switchblade 100
Orange PPC412AD
Seagull S6 Cedar Slim
Manuel Rodríguez C1M

Guitarist of Ravenage
Drummer of Windrider
Solo Project is Aloeswood
I don't think I necessarily like sad music more than "happy" music, even though I listen to primarily sad music. As I see it, just plain "happy" is an easy emotion to feel and enjoy, and everybody is happy at some point, while sadness is more dynamic and can be felt in many different ways at varying degrees. Therefore, I go to music to experience sadness, or any other strong emotions. With that being said, if a song can portray MORE than just happiness (which isn't that difficult), such as euphoria or joy or triumph or whatever, than I like it just as much as sad music. For example, my favorite band is The Devin Townsend Band, and his music generally has a vibe of triumph and accomplishment, which is more than just feeling "happy." The thing is, I feel happiness hanging out with friends, watching a movie, or doing pretty much anything. Hell, I'm pretty happy right now. When I go to music, I seek out emotions that I don't feel everyday, whether good or bad. Conclusion: Happiness is to many one of the most common emotions felt, so when serious music fans turn towards music, they seek other more varied and extreme emotions, whether positive or negative.