i want to someday be able to shred nasty. i alternate pick but when switching strings i usually use the same picking motion twice in a row. will this be bad for my speed eventually? and im sorry if i didnt explain this good enough. thanks
that's called economy picking. economy and alternate are both fine, it's just a matter of personal preference.
That's actually another form of speedpicking. It's called economy picking, and is theoretically a faster way to play runs that span several strings (especially odd-numbered ie 3-notes-per-string runs).

Frank Gambale is a great example of how economy picking can make your playing more fluid.
Every atom belonging to me as good belongs to you
What you're describing is called "economy picking". It is a valuable technique for playing at higher tempos, and there's absolutely nothing wrong with playing like that.
What you are doing is called ``economy picking`` , you can get fast with it... but,
I think strict alternate picking is the best, cause it gives a more powerful sound , economy picking gives a smoother sound.

And the great shredders like Michael Angelo , Rusty cooley, Paul gilbert , Malmsteen , all of them uses strict alternate picking.

But none of them is the wrong, and you can get fast with both , but my advice is go for alternate picking !
--S---------
S---H------
--H---R----
S---R---D-
--H---E----
S---R---D- SHRED
--H---E----
S---R---D-
--S---E----
----R---D--
--H---------
S-----------

How many times do you see SHRED in this?
I think as long as you are in time and cleanly playing your parts both are valid picking techniques. I do agree the posts above that alternate picking will give you a stronger tone but sometimes you want a softer more legato type sound.
Last edited by adave at Sep 2, 2007,
Quote by markieee
What you are doing is called ``economy picking`` , you can get fast with it... but,
I think strict alternate picking is the best, cause it gives a more powerful sound , economy picking gives a smoother sound.

And the great shredders like Michael Angelo , Rusty cooley, Paul gilbert , Malmsteen , all of them uses strict alternate picking.

But none of them is the wrong, and you can get fast with both , but my advice is go for alternate picking !

I thought Malmsteen used economy, I'm not sure though. It's really a matter of preference. It's really about getting from point A to B the fastest you can. By this you may need to economy or alt depending of what is more convenient.
Paul Gilbert is a strict alternate picker. But most shredders use some economy picking (Malmsteen included).
Advance Tech forum.

CLOSED.
Co-Founder of the Jazz Guitarist Community. PM me or Zeppelin256 to join.

Come listen to Zeppelin256 and I jam over some jazz tunes! Unit 7