hey guys im pretty much a novice, ive been playing for quite a while and wanted to start getting some new gear after saving up and getting a set up on my guitar.

BAsically im not sure if im what im gettings a good buy or if theres something better avaliable.

Im looking at replacing my rubbish 10watt amp for something with a few more controls, ive found a second hand 25W Nevada Amp with built in Reverb for £40 which looked quite good.

I also wanted to get a decent effects pedal and was looking at getting a zoom g2.1u, which looked good because it jsut has so many effects.

I havent got an awful lot of cash so anyone know if these are good buys or is there something better you can recommend?
I <3 my Washburn Idol
Well, what kinds of music do you play, and what's your total budget? I doubt the Nevada amp will be any good - it's most likely a cheap solid state practice amp that's on a similar level to the one you own now. There are lots of good amps out there for not too much cash.
well i tend to play stuff from a lot of punk/pop and indie bands. i have a total budget of about £150 for both, though i can wait if its worth getting something a little more expensive.

The main reason i wanted to replace my amp is because i was getting annoyed with the inability to change the sound on it, my distortion is either on or off. Would it be easier jsut getting a good effects pedal instead of amp?
I <3 my Washburn Idol
Nope.

I think I may have a solution for you. The Vox AD30VT. It's a modelling amp with built-in effects, so you can get plenty of different clean and distorted sounds, including Fender, Vox and Marshall amps, as well as a number of effects such as reverb, chorus, delay and flange.

http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/options.php?id=12940

They're good amps for the price, and will certainly give you something to play around with. And it's under your budget, too
ah thanks! that does look a really nice amp!

what about the effects pedal, would it be worth getting one or just sticking to changing the sound on the amp?
I <3 my Washburn Idol
I'd stick with the amp to begin with. There are lots of pre-sets, and you can make your own. If you find, later on, that you need more pre-sets with different levels of effects, then it might be an idea to look into an effects unit, but for now I reckon the amp would suffice