well i was playing the other day and i realized i was playing my guitar sort of like if it was a bass, using my index finger pointing down. and i sort of got used to playing like that, since i hardly ever use a pick. is there any downside to playing like that, i mean i play the same if not better, other then it looking like im playing a bass.

thanks

EDIT:
thought i'd add a visual aid :P
im playing my guitar sort of like this:
http://img3.musiciansfriend.com/dbase/pics/products/2/9/2/408292.jpg
when i should be playing like this:
http://www.guitar-lessons-central.com/image-files/standing-with-guitar.jpg
should i try reversing the bad habit?
Last edited by Spitz13 at Sep 2, 2007,
you won't be able to play as bright as if you used a pick, and you wont be able to strum as fast
Gear:
Jackson DKMG Dinky (EMG 81/85)
Ibanez GIO (i put a Dimbucker in the bridge)
Crate GT65 (65 watts) to be upgraded soon, suggestions welcome (must be tubed)
Floor Pod (for sale)
There is no "wrong" way to play something. If you're playing with a tree branch while doing a headstand with your guitar on your feet, and if you're getting the right sound, it's not wrong.
Quote by Dirtydeeds468
People don't like Dave Mustaine because he created something that owned Metallica in just about every single aspect of thrash metal.

it's true
hmmm i think its good that your playing like this because its unique, thats what a lot of ppl look for is being unique

but it prolly wouldnt hurt to try practicing normally too =D
Nothing wrong with playing with your fingers. Granted it's a little more common on acoustic, but that's just because typically on acoustic your not looking for that hard, percussive sound that a pick gives you. And that's all thats different, you'll just be getting a little warmer sound when play, also you might not be able to palm mute as well, but not everybody does it frequently.
There is no "wrong" way to play something. If you're playing with a tree branch while doing a headstand with your guitar on your feet, and if you're getting the right sound, it's not wrong.

LOL :P

thanks guys :P i was starting to get worried that it was bad to play like that..
Quote by Spitz13
LOL :P

thanks guys :P i was starting to get worried that it was bad to play like that..

It is bad to play like that. There's nothing wrong with playing without a pick, but you should use normal fingerstyle techniques.

I'm not trying to piss on anyone here, but you can only get to a certain point using bad technique. Using bad technique doesn't make you more creative or unique, it will hinder your development as a musician. I'm amazed at the bad advice people keep giving in this forum.
Quote by kyrreca
It is bad to play like that. There's nothing wrong with playing without a pick, but you should use normal fingerstyle techniques.

I'm not trying to piss on anyone here, but you can only get to a certain point using bad technique. Using bad technique doesn't make you more creative or unique, it will hinder your development as a musician. I'm amazed at the bad advice people keep giving in this forum.

Yeah, tell me about bad advice....there is nothing wrong with the way he is playing, I've seen amazing guitarists play lead and rythm using only there index finger. What works for the people that wrote the books on playing music might not work as well for others.
Quote by david_highland
Yeah, tell me about bad advice....there is nothing wrong with the way he is playing, I've seen amazing guitarists play lead and rythm using only there index finger. What works for the people that wrote the books on playing music might not work as well for others.

Do you happen to have any examples of guitar players who use the index finger exclusively?

This has nothing to do with the "people who wrote the books on playing music" (whoever they might be). Of course everyone should be able to explore their instrument in any way they like, but to tell an aspiring guitar player that it is a good idea for him to cultivate a practice that will limit his capabilities in the future is bad advice in my book.
umm i forgot to mention that i strum varios strings like a normal guitar player, its when i play single strings(solos, ect) that i use my index finger pointing down.
*dosent know who to listen to :P
let's put it this way:
advantages gained from playing with only one finger: 0
advantages gained from using all fingers or a pick: 100000000
Personally.. I think you should say **** guitar and go bass. 1. Bass is still very cool and there are some very groovy basslines out there. 2. Everyone plays guitar, so you'll be much more likely to find a band to play in. 3. If you're already used to that technique then playing bass will come easy.

But to be honest kyrreca is right, one finger is definately weaker than 3 or 4. If anything people will see you playing like that and think you're a retard that thinks he has a bass..
Quote by acjshapiro

Quote by Vrstone87

meh, I've listened to every radiohead album and honestly don't get what everyone loves about them.....

cause you're ****ing stupid

Quote by 3holepunch
Personally.. I think you should say **** guitar and go bass. 1. Bass is still very cool and there are some very groovy basslines out there. 2. Everyone plays guitar, so you'll be much more likely to find a band to play in. 3. If you're already used to that technique then playing bass will come easy.

But to be honest kyrreca is right, one finger is definately weaker than 3 or 4. If anything people will see you playing like that and think you're a retard that thinks he has a bass..

I'm going to have to butt in here and say going bass might not be a good idea.... if you play guitar bass becomes 10x easier and your playing when you start bass will be a lot better so I'd go guitar then bass first but thats just me.
This is a monument to our everything before forever comes crashing. - Converge
Quote by DeanGuitarist77
I'm going to have to butt in here and say going bass might not be a good idea.... if you play guitar bass becomes 10x easier and your playing when you start bass will be a lot better so I'd go guitar then bass first but thats just me.

Normally I'd agree, but given the circumstances...
Quote by acjshapiro

Quote by Vrstone87

meh, I've listened to every radiohead album and honestly don't get what everyone loves about them.....

cause you're ****ing stupid

Quote by Stop Messin'

he's right, there is no wrong way to play guitar. for a while, i just play the guitar upright (which made it hard with a strap, but it was fun)
Quote by denfilade
For a moment I thought velcro shoes were ones with the whole bottom made of velcro

She could walk up your pubes with those

Quote by kannon
this post has aids
Quote by NinjaSlayHuman
and 07'ers will always be well-respected members of UG society.