Page 1 of 2
I'm really confused...some people says that MGs is a great series of amp...someone says they completely suck...so what to you think of them?
The latter. They're really, really bad amps. I'd rather be locked in a room with twenty screaming kids than play through an MG

You can do so much better for the price. Most people who buy MGs buy the big 100 watt stacks, which sound terrible. That money could have been better spent on a small valve combo. Low end SS amps are terrible, the MG included. People buy it because of the Marshall name, really.
They are bad amps, there is much better available for the money.

You'll find 100% of UG who know much about guitars will agree with this, the other few, disregard their opinion
I completely disagree. I got an MG15DFX for only 70 quid and I think it's a great little amp. I've played through the 100 watt stacks, and I think the sound is great.
yeah, MUCH better availible for the price, the whole MG series is basically a huge marketing scheme from Marshall.
Dissonance is Bliss

Signal Chain:
Carvin CT-4
Ibanez TS-9
Carvin Quad-X
TC Electronics G-Major
Mesa/Boogie 2:90
Ear Candy BuzzBomb

Member #4 of the Carvin Club
Quote by guitarman341
I completely disagree. I got an MG15DFX for only 70 quid and I think it's a great little amp. I've played through the 100 watt stacks, and I think the sound is great.

ummm. have you ever played thru anything else. i mean. the stacks esp are terrible. and those heads die so fast.
i <3 my gibson.

proud member of the anti-ibanez milita. my rg1570 was the crappiest guitar i've ever owned.

Quote by Rankles
Christ. I'd hate to see you break a pencil, you'd probably go on a killing spree.
Quote by guitarman341

But have you ever played any more expensive SS amps, or any valve amps? Because after doing so, opinions on MGs (and Spiders and Crates and other cheap amps) quickly change.
Quote by guitarman341

good one, had me going for a minute there...

TS, the MG's are awful...no matter which one you look at there are much better amps available for the same money.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Hmm, I'll go with you on that, but with the small one I have I think it's good for the money.
I have a MG30dfx and its sounds good, but for that price you can doo way better.
Colors by Between the Buried and Me is the Best album ever
Quote by guitarman341
Hmm, I'll go with you on that, but with the small one I have I think it's good for the money.

you could probably have gotten a Roland Cube at the same price, much better.
Dissonance is Bliss

Signal Chain:
Carvin CT-4
Ibanez TS-9
Carvin Quad-X
TC Electronics G-Major
Mesa/Boogie 2:90
Ear Candy BuzzBomb

Member #4 of the Carvin Club
As a practice amp you can do worse. The only thing making them worse than any other cheap ss is that they have 100 watt stacks. The crappyness is way over-exerated. You could do much much worse for the price.
The Mg series isnt as bad as people make out around here. I have a MG30DFX which was my first ever amp and it served its purpose. Ive played through high end fender combos and now have a marshall JCM900 which has been modified. Obviously the tube amps are much better tone wise but they cost a lot more and include no effects. When I started out playing I didnt have the cash for a tube amp AND effects so the MG was a good compromise. Before people starting flaming, I know the effects are not as good as pedals but in some cases they are better than nothing.
**** sake use the search function- I have had it with these threads
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
I'm tired of answering questions about MGs...

The clean channel is muddy and uninspiring, and has a tendency to lose headroom gradually, so within about a year or two, the clean channel often will have degenerated into the harshest most gritty, unpleasant solid state clipping distortion.

The distorted channel has no dynamics at all. I have no idea what this "FDD" does or what its meant to do, but whatever it is, it doesn't do it. mains hum, fret squeaks, all kinds of sounds that aren't generally noticable in the amplified signal, are amplified at the same volume as everything you want, the result is a messy sounding, unpleasant fuzzy sound.

This only gets worse when you turn it up. i mean, okay, its a practice amp, so why are there 100W halfstacks and such? completely pointless.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Insert bog standard response to MG:

Roland Cube and Vox Valvetronix (especially XL) really put the MG to shame.

Two types of people end up with MG's, one I have sympathy for, the other I don't..

1) The people who don't know a lot about guitars and get duped into buying one, whether this is them or there parents. These people I do feel for..

2) People who buy an MG half stack to go "lol marshall". These I do not.
They suck.

Get a Vox or Cube.

/thread
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
I don't like MG's because they suck (lol) and they're not good for the genre of music I play.
Theyre not completly bad themselves, but for the price, they are horrible. There are a lot better choices, but as an amp themselves, theyre not as bad as everyone says
For all the people saying they suck some specific examples of alternatives would probably be helpful to the OP, eg MG30 is circa £100, MG50 is circa £150 - what can you get for that sort of cash? Unless the OP has a bigger budget?
MG = no soul
"Make my funk the P-Funk, I want my funk uncut"
Quote by jambi_mantra
James, are you God?

Fender Highway One Tele
1985 Encore 335
Takamine EG523sc
Laney VC15
Vox V847
MXR M-108
EHX Q-Tron+, Big Muff Pi, POG
MI Audio Crunch Box
Yamaha DTXplorer DrumKit
Quote by nedthehead
Theyre not completly bad themselves, but for the price, they are horrible. There are a lot better choices, but as an amp themselves, theyre not as bad as everyone says

+1

Finally someone states the truth in this thread.

They aren't horrible, for the extra $50-$200 for the marshall name they are.

Crate Flexwave, Vox, Roland Cube, Line 6 Spider (imo) are better amps for the price. The Spider series is a pretty good practice amp and intermediate amp. It lets you dial up a lot of tones for those guitarists who want to sound like their idols. When you're a tone deaf beginner, any amp with an insane amount of distortion will sound like Metallica to you.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by MESAexplorer
The Spider series is a pretty good practice amp and intermediate amp. It lets you dial up a lot of tones for those guitarists who want to sound like their idols. When you're a tone deaf beginner, any amp with an insane amount of distortion will sound like Metallica to you.
Don't listen to him.
Quote by FRDesign
Don't listen to him.

Listen dude, he has far, far more experience than you do. He has better gear and can probably play better too. What he says it true, i wouldn't go around advising against members with actually experience with the gear they're commenting on.

No, its not an amazing amp, i don't like them at all. but it IS a good beginner amp for someone who's experimenting with different tones.
Ibanez AFS75/Fender Strat Plus > Fulltone Deja' Vibe > Keeley TS808 MOD+ > Fulltone OCD > VanAmps SoleMate > Metro JTM45
Quote by FRDesign
Don't listen to him.

It's a decent practice amp. When you get over the Spider bashing and realize that for $150 nothing is going to be professional quality then you can tell people which amps to buy for the money.

I would never buy a 75, 120, or 150 watt spider because it is pointless, but a 30 watter for bedroom gigs isn't a bad buy. Sure there is Vox ($40 more) and Roland ($30 more), but in the end, a practice amp isn't going to be heard by many other people than you.

A great guitarist will sound good through any amp.

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
MG = MoneyGrab

really.. the only thing you're paying for when you buy these things is the little plastic marshall logo. otherwise.. its pretty much the same as any other cheap practice amp.

sure the MG15dfx is fine for noodling around in your bedroom. but thats about it.
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
Quote by Kivarenn82

sure the MG15dfx is fine for noodling around in your bedroom. but thats about it.

Thats exactly what their for, and what most people use them for.
Quote by FRDesign
Don't listen to him.

Why? What he said was completely right...
It's not like he said "OMG TEH SPYDER IS AWESOME! GREAT TONE!". He said it was a great choice for beginners who need a versatile and good practice amp with a lot of range as far as effects / styles go. He was right. And they aren't a bad choice even if you aren't a beginner. They are a fine choice backstage for warming up when you don't want to be loud. And who cares about "perfect" tone when your just starting out or warming up?
Just because he didn't hop aboard the bandwagon and say "SPIDER SERIES SUCKS because that's what everyone else says!" doesn't mean he's wrong...

EDIT: look at his post here
http://ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=663864
(Post #4)
He doesn't even say why he thinks that they suck. Just that they suck.. So pointless and unhelpful.
Quote by screamingfool34
people here are idiot.
Quote by Mr_H_MASTER
the only good wahs out there are Slashs, Zacks, and Dimebags.
Quote by evan1234567
im to tired and confused to comprehend what you said.
Last edited by PieceOfMind666 at Sep 2, 2007,
Quote by zw44
Thats exactly what their for, and what most people use them for.

a 250w amp for bedroom use? ha. no they are not made for bedroom use, they are made to get money off of noobs.
The MGs are... well, ****, as someone once aptly put it.

That's right - straight outta Jim Marshalls butthole.

The distortion makes me want to punch babies. That's why I avoid local music stores, seeing as there is always some kid banging random strings on a squier via the MGs dist channel and thinking he's "metal".
Quote by bakk
Hi,
I have been pickin' up some Arabic radio signal things. Every time I turn up my Amp, this crazy Imam starts messing up my chords.

Proud owner of a 1987 Kramer Baretta I w/ spider Guitart.
Quote by justsixteen
I'm really confused...some people says that MGs is a great series of amp...someone says they completely suck...so what to you think of them?

I've never seen people say they are good...
Ibanez RG350dx
Ibanez AF85 Artcore VLS
Peavey Bandit 112

Quote by rocknrollstar
"Oh baby baby yes yes YES! YES! *pinch harmonic*"
what do you guys think about Wayne Static?....he is signed to Warner bros records and could play any amp he wanted.....and the plays a goddamn mg halfstack ONSTAGE....
Quote by Rahab
what do you guys think about Wayne Static?....he is signed to Warner bros records and could play any amp he wanted.....and the plays a goddamn mg halfstack ONSTAGE....

That is true, and on recordings he has a decent tone. If you have experience with recording though, you'd understand that you do 4 tracks usually (2 lead 2 rhythm) and layer them, different EQing, different settings, different amps/guitars/hardware/everything if you want. With enough money, or time in the recording studio you can get great tones from most anything.

But, his tone doesn't cut through the mix. It drown out by everything. That's why they are called Static-X instead of Tone-X.

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by Denthúl
But have you ever played any more expensive SS amps, or any valve amps? Because after doing so, opinions on MGs (and Spiders and Crates and other cheap amps) quickly change.

This guy hit the nail on the head.
I know from experience.
Hell, even my Valve Junior runs circles around my Spider.

And when it comes to the MG, I saw someone post on these forums that it wasn't even designed by Marshall. It was designed by Park amps, who were bought out.
Main gear (For complete list, see profile):
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plain-top
Basswood Telecaster, 2 single-sized HB's, both split.
Epiphone Valve Junior
B-52 AT-412 Cabinet
Oh, and I have a Squier VM Jazz Bass too.
i think someone said this before but MG = Male Genitals. enough said (and L2usesearch)
Page 1 of 2