So i have played guitar for about a year and have never really had any interest in shredding. but lately i have been kinda bored with playing and am trying to learn how to play in new and different styles. can anyone recommend any goods songs to begin learning how to shred?
Remember through sounds
Remember through smells
Remember through colors
Remember through towns
-Modest Mouse, "Novocaine Stain"
There are no songs to learn to shred.
Just grab yourself a metronome and practise religiously daily for the next months/years.
Well Learn Scales, (Major, Minor Pentatonic) Learn Sweep Picking, and all those techniques Shred Guitarists use.

and Practice.
You should at least be able to play the whole master of puppets with metronome before going down that shredding road
you should play simple blues solos well, then classic rock (zep etc) then rock/metal (maiden metallica), THEN get into shredding
good songs to begin shredding. study technical difficulties by paul gilbert, trilogy suite op5 and far beyond the sun by yngwie malmsteen, smoke and mirrors by symphony x. First three make improving alternate picking and legato fun and the last is good for them too plus sweep picking which i suck at. be sure to have maximized alternate picking and legato first like 16th notes at 200bpm before even starting sweeps and the songs.
Let's go back to five billion bpm and see how good i am.
Quote by Attack
be sure to have maximized alternate picking and legato first like 16th notes at 200bpm before even starting sweeps.

I can sweep/economy pick much faster than I can alternate pick.
I can't alternate pick faster than 120 Bpm without getting tired or messy, I can easely go up to 180 or 190 still playing perfectly clean while sweeping or using economy picking and legato.
You've obviously heard about shred from somewhere... learn it from there. The artists you like. And metronome. Enough said.
Thanks for reading
Quote by And2001PT
I can sweep/economy pick much faster than I can alternate pick.
I can't alternate pick faster than 120 Bpm without getting tired or messy, I can easely go up to 180 or 190 still playing perfectly clean while sweeping or using economy picking and legato.

I...can't...believe

Actually yes, economy picking instead of alternate works for many people. There are great players that use it but when compared to the ones who do alternate they are snails. Economy is easier at first as it's more natural but if you truly master altenate then you're a speed demon.(not that i am. I sadly don't have much time to practice but i'm ok.)

(Players who use alternate are Michael Angelo Batio, Yngwie Malmsteen, Paul Gilbert, John Petrucci, Buckethead, Steve Vai, Joe Satriani etc.)
Let's go back to five billion bpm and see how good i am.