And on a dvd i got it says that for chords you pick a different amount of strings like six for G and 5 for C etc. Do I always have to do that? And one last thing, only my first three fingers hurt and not my pinky even though I'm practicing with all four is that normal?
Quote by FriskyDrisky
haha i dunno know. like if i sh*t or fart i know they smell really bad, but I enjoy the smell. Like I'll fart on my hand and then smell my hand. I dont think thats normal though...
Well, as far as the thread question, the answer is completely up to how much you practice and how much talent you have. There's no determined time frame for learning guitar; it pretty much just takes as long as it takes, though it should only take a couple months tops to be able to do passable open chord changes (in my opinion).

I'm not sure what you're asking about the chords themselvs, but as far as your fingertips hurting, your pinky probably doesn't hurt as much because you physically cant exert as much pressure with it as you can with your other, more dominant fingers. Try letting up a little with your first three fingers and pressing slightly more with your pinkey - not too hard, don't hurt yourself - to try to build up those neglected pinkey muscles.

Hope that helps!
I agree with what he^ says. It really depends on how much you practice, This summer i played four to five hours a day religiously... actually payed off, my friends think I've been playing alot longer than I actually have. As for your pinky not hurting, are you reffering to the fret hand or strumming hand? fingerpicking on your strumming hand doesn't even require your pinky, and i found that if your pinky isn't hurting on the fret hand as much, you probably just aren't using it nearly as much as your other three fingers. If thats the case, go find some some drills that get your pinky working on the fretboard more, major scales are pretty helpful for this.
1966 rickenbacker fireglo 335
78' twin reverb (loud awesome tone)

practice makes practice... never perfect
Learn the notes on the fretboard, and a little musical theory, about the notes that make up a chord. That will explain why you should hit certain strings to make a chord. And no, you don't necesarrily have to, but if you want to play that chord, you should do it as indicated. Good luck.