Basically in my band we improvise a lot meaning when it comes to making a song it's always different each time we play because we can never remember exactly how it went.

So what we need is a microphone and something to record to while we are playing, we don't need a high quality mike just someone that picks sound of from all direction and you don't need to be super close for it to pick anything up, it's just so we can remember what we played and would be helpful.

Does anyone have any idea's as to how else we could do it or a specific microphone ?
Look for an omnidirectional mic....
preferably a condenser one...

Or a bidirectional condenser...

And move the mic around the room till you find the best position for it where you can hear all the instruments clearly or you're getting the best sound...
Last edited by af_the_fragile at Sep 2, 2007,
i only heard of 1 band do this on a professional album. it was a jazz trio, guitar, bass, drums. they got a super nice (cant rember model) omni directional condenser mic. they positioned themselves in a circle around it in an awsome sounding room, then moved thier instruments back and forth until the levels were correct. they had awsome soundign gear too, but it worked, it can be done
Quote by ILuvPillows?
Masturbate it off.
Quote by af_the_fragile
Look for an omnidirectional mic....
preferably a condenser one...

Or a bidirectional condenser...

And move the mic around the room till you find the best position for it where you can hear all the instruments clearly or you're getting the best sound...

Wouldn't cardoid be a lot better, since it would be picking up from all directions? Or are you thinking more because of the reflections?
This is not going to sound good pretty much no matter what you do - so unless it is just for the purpose of remembering what you were playing I would not recommend this approach.
PM Me for any help you need with recording systems/tips
Quote by BrianApocalypse
Good call

Man, you should be a mod, you know everything.