I've been desperately searching for an adequate metal (bodom, opeth, death) tube amp for a reasonable price ($700-$800 range), that had decent cleans. My search pretty much ended at the b-52 at-212.

I was SO stoked on getting one, until i called in to order from musician's friend and found out they can't ship to canada.
on top of that, there's no b-52s in canada since they're made in the states.
I've searched so hard but can't find any, even on ebay.
I'm crushed.

Does anyone know of an online canadian music store where i could find one of these pups?

If not, im going to have to settle on something else...
I was looking into something like a Laney vc100, though I hear they're quite noisy.

Can anyone give me a hand?
I can't really help you man, sorry.

I do prefer the Laney VC series over the B-52 at series though. It has more of a raw vintage sound compared to a sizzling pissed off marshall sound.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
The components (chassis, speakers, tubes, frame, pots, chips, etc.) are are made in China and only assembled in the US. By the time they get here there is darn little assembly necessary. Just a way to rip off the consumer thinking they are getting Made in USA. Check it out if you don't believe me. Same factory that makes Madison and Randall. Google it.
Last edited by uldhppi at Sep 2, 2007,
ty for replies

might have to go for the laney then.
ive seen some laneys up here, though not specifically the vc series.

either that or i can drive into detroit or something and try to pick up a b-52. i live about an hour or two from the border.

unless theres another amp suited to my metal needs that i've missed.
Checked Long and McQuade?
Quote by Pikka Bird
Go pikka yourself!
ignore previous post.

im having trouble here distinguishing between the at-100 and the at-212.

the at-212 is 80 pounds.
the at-100 is 50 or 60.
theyre both 100w.

from what i understand here, they both are the same volume, and pretty much the same thing?
yer i was looking at the at-112, but ive decided on the at-212 or at-100 head.
im just wondering if theres much point in getting the half stack if the combo produces the same volume?
Well the half stack will have 4 speakers if you get the 4x12. It will seem louder and have a little more bottom end. It will be a pain to move and so will the at-212. Personally i would go with the at-112 because anything else more powerful is overkill.
yes i suppose. i was actually disappointed to see the at 212 was 100w. was hoping it was a little less powerful.

only thing that worries me about the 112 is the review of it on this site
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/reviews/guitar_amplifiers/b-52/at-112/index.html
in the sound section, says the distortion channel sounds good until it gets past 7. i was under the impression tube amps sounded better the louder they got
Quote by hamstertube
yes i suppose. i was actually disappointed to see the at 212 was 100w. was hoping it was a little less powerful.

only thing that worries me about the 112 is the review of it on this site
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/reviews/guitar_amplifiers/b-52/at-112/index.html
in the sound section, says the distortion channel sounds good until it gets past 7. i was under the impression tube amps sounded better the louder they got

Tubes do have a more saturated tone when they are pushed. What they are talking about is the speaker distorting, which actually sounds worse.

I would go with the 212 because it would have more headroom for the clean channel when you have it cranked. Possibly the B-52 AT100 head and buy a 2x12 cab from Avatar or Carvin loaded with Vintage 30 speakers.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
i think my ideal situation would be the at-100 + 2x12 cab.
however i was just browsing them on musicians friend and they are bloody expensive.

unless i can pick up the at-100 cheap (i have a lead on one with an FM 412 cab for $700) i think ill just go for the 212, and maybe pick up an attenuator later.
yeah i've got the at-212 and i absolutely love it. But it is extremely overpowering so i can't turn it up as loud as i'd like in my house. Absolutely awesome for my band's practices though.
my gear:
Jackson DKMG(the one with EMG 81/85's)
b-52 AT 212 100 watt amp
old gear i'll probably sell eventually:
yamaha beginners guitar
gunmetal grey Fender squire strat
Fender 65R amp
Quote by electricsnake
yeah i've got the at-212 and i absolutely love it. But it is extremely overpowering so i can't turn it up as loud as i'd like in my house. Absolutely awesome for my band's practices though.

I agree. Mine has been absolutely fantastic. I play in a metal band with similar genres, and with a light overdrive pedal I can easily get into death metal range. You are already pretty much there without it.
My Gear:
-Schecter C-1 Plus (Vintage Sunburst)
-B-52 AT-212 Tube Combo
-ZW-44 Zakk Wylde Overdrive
-Digitech RP350 Multi-Effects Pedal
-Hamer Slammer Strat Copy