Is mahogany good for EMG 81 and 85's??

I've been looking at guitars made of, Alder, Basswood, and Mahogany, and duno which type to pick, please help

I only play heavy low stuff sometimes mellow but hey not much
If you want them to scream, then alder. If you want them to growl, then mahogany and a proper amp. People tend to seek the extremes of the tone spectrum from EMGs...
Fender Japan Stratocaster Ibanez Pro540 Power Ibanez Pro540 Saber Ibanez 430S Ibanez S540 Charvel LSXIII w/GraphTech Ghost MIDI Parker Fly Artist Ibanez S1220 Mesa F30 Roland GR20 Roland Microcube + IBANEZ TREMS STILL SUCK!
EMG's are basically built for mahogany.

If you get something other than mahogany, definantly go with Dimarzio, Bareknuckle, or something else.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by pifty
If you want them to scream, then alder. If you want them to growl, then mahogany and a proper amp. People tend to seek the extremes of the tone spectrum from EMGs...

ahhh I gotchya, so the cheapest way to get a kick ass guitar is to get the RG321 (Black) and put EMG 81 and 85 in it =P comes out to $479 and change tuners and bridge to black rather than silver

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-RG321-Electric-Guitar?sku=512492

all of yall's post have helped me very much
Last edited by hardcoredarrell at Sep 2, 2007,
Quote by uldhppi
Basswood.

why you say basswood? I always get a mixed bag of answers on these fourms

Quote by pifty

I seem to aggreee with this dude the most of all the post though I believe bassswood is inbetween but im not sure I need help
Last edited by hardcoredarrell at Sep 2, 2007,
Quote by pifty

agreed.

though an 85 in the bridge in alder can be nice too, for less "scream" and more "growl"...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by uldhppi
Basswood.

yeah, erock says he gets good results with basswood and emg's.

Quote by hardcoredarrell
why you say basswood? I always get a mixed bag of answers on these fourms

because most tone questions are opinion, not fact.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
alder= bright, mahogany= dark, basswood= it sounds kinda crappy to me, I played my friends washburn that's made of basswood and i think it's worse than agathis
Last edited by .smudged. at Sep 2, 2007,
Quote by Dave_Mc

because most tone questions are opinion, not fact.

ahhh, my friend has a Alder body Jackson DKMG with EMG's and it sounded sickly awsome and my other friend has an Mahogany MH-400 ESP with EMG's and it sounds sickly awsome, so im like huh?? lolz

I'm am putting the 85 (N) and 81 (B) but its Mahogany Vrs Basswood, I don't shred to much for alder, I basically want a wood with a heavy sound so so far I assume its mahogany but im not certain
if you want EMGs, you want Mahogany. They get muddy real quick with Basswood, and sound kinda thin. not enough depth.
Black limba, koa, or zebrano.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
Quote by Dave_Mc
Naw man, he gets good results with his amp.

Quote by cheames
Blah blah. They get muddy real quick with Basswood blah blah blah.
Did you actually try them in basswood or you're just saying what everyone else is saying?

Quote by hardcoredarrell
ahhh I gotchya, so the cheapest way to get a kick ass guitar is to get the RG321 (Black) and put EMG 81 and 85 in it =P comes out to $479 and change tuners and bridge to black rather than silver

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-RG321-Electric-Guitar?sku=512492

all of yall's post have helped me very much
That is certainly an elegant solution. Don't forget to add a 3-way blade switch (tele style) to your bin, since the 5-way won't be of use with twin EMGs. Also, I think the bridge on the 321 is Cosmo. It's not silver at all, more like a smoky gunmetal gray. A set of locking tuners won't hurt though.
Fender Japan Stratocaster Ibanez Pro540 Power Ibanez Pro540 Saber Ibanez 430S Ibanez S540 Charvel LSXIII w/GraphTech Ghost MIDI Parker Fly Artist Ibanez S1220 Mesa F30 Roland GR20 Roland Microcube + IBANEZ TREMS STILL SUCK!
Last edited by pifty at Sep 2, 2007,
Quote by pifty

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by pifty

Did you actually try them in basswood or you're just saying what everyone else is saying?

i have used EMGs in all woods. i speak from experience. now go **** yourself.
Quote by cheames
Chill out kiddo, I didn't mean to nick your ego there. Just asking.

In my experience (of about half a year of having 81/SA/85 in an RG570), basswood and EMGs mix perfectly well. And they preserve their clarity in both classic and high gain amps. They just don't get to the chuggachugga levels easily. However, that has more to do with the fact that EMGs are kind of designed to scream out of the box... having been made popular in the late 80s by a bunch of famous names with their pointy alder superstrats and searing lead lines.
Quote by pifty
Chill out kiddo, I didn't mean to nick your ego there. Just asking.

In my experience (of about half a year of having 81/SA/85 in an RG570), basswood and EMGs mix perfectly well. And they preserve their clarity in both classic and high gain amps. They just don't get to the chuggachugga levels easily. However, that has more to do with the fact that EMGs are kind of designed to scream out of the box... having been made popular in the late 80s by a bunch of famous names with their pointy alder superstrats and searing lead lines.

ahhh least theres a few civilized people here , I am kind of looking for mainly the chugah chugah sound when palm muting with my Drop B strings

I have the Roland Cube 60 Amp if that helps matters
Quote by hardcoredarrell
ahhh least theres a few civilized people here , I am kind of looking for mainly the chugah chugah sound when palm muting with my Drop B strings

I have the Roland Cube 60 Amp if that helps matters

To be honest, if you plan to keep on using the Cube, then you might be better off getting passive pickups that are heavy on both the mids/bass and output. EMGs have oodles of drive, and if you turn your volume and gain up, they tend to clip a solid state amp right away. Which simply means that you'll be getting crap coming out of your speaker instead of what you expect.

I can easily recommend EMGs in mahogany if you're planning on upgrading to a high gain tube amp somewhere down the road, but if you intend to stay with solidstate, then there are better ways to get the sound you want.

Basically, walk into a guitarmart near you, take something with EMGs in mahogany off the wall, and plug it into your amp (or a similar solidstate) on the floor. Dial in your settings and strum some powerchords. If the result makes you cringe, then don't get EMGs.
^ agreed.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by cheames

Really? Wow! How'd you get your hands on a guitar made out of pink ebony with EMGs?
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
Quote by pifty
To be honest, if you plan to keep on using the Cube, then you might be better off getting passive pickups that are heavy on both the mids/bass and output. EMGs have oodles of drive, and if you turn your volume and gain up, they tend to clip a solid state amp right away. Which simply means that you'll be getting crap coming out of your speaker instead of what you expect.

I can easily recommend EMGs in mahogany if you're planning on upgrading to a high gain tube amp somewhere down the road, but if you intend to stay with solidstate, then there are better ways to get the sound you want.

Basically, walk into a guitarmart near you, take something with EMGs in mahogany off the wall, and plug it into your amp (or a similar solidstate) on the floor. Dial in your settings and strum some powerchords. If the result makes you cringe, then don't get EMGs.

I gotchya thanks dude the Roland Cube 60 has tons of gain but I'll go to guitarcenter sometimes this week