They seem a bit cheap at just £200. Therefore they could never be outstanding instruments but they are neck through and look cool imo!

I wanted one and never got the chance to play one due to it not being stocked anywhere so i wont comment on playability etc.

Gear:
Fender Standard Jazz Bass
Artec Matrix Pedal Tuner
BBE Optostomp
Boss GEB 7
EHX NYC Big Muff
Ashdown MAG C410T-300
Torque T100BX
GAS-ing for:
Boss SYB5
Behringer Intelligate IG9
A good friend of mine who has played professionally for many years recently got one, and let me play it. I will tell you, it is a whole different animal. It has almost perfect balance and ways almost nothing, making it probably the most comfortable bass you will ever play. It has a fold out leg rest which accommodates the non traditional shape for seated playing as well. The neck is a fat-v or a wide-v shape, whichever you call it. The newest ones can also use the single ball strings instead of having to rely on the double ball ones. The pickups and electronics are pretty solid, and it has a great low end and some snappy treble tones.

Overall, I'd say its a good bass but it definitely is different than almost anything else out there. If you can find one to play, do that before you purchase one because it may be unsuited to you personally. It definitely is awkward playing when you first pick it up as well, simply due to its unique features.

Hope that helped
the Steinberger bass is a decent bass. most people buying them do so for the collectability.
it's unique features were very neat, at the time. but it's sound is also unique, and not very popular. it's graphite body material produces a very plastic sound. there are a few bands still using them, like Devo. i've played them, and they were alright, but the sound is different. very mid-range, with weak lows, and even weaker highs. they're cool but not as a main player. imo.
Quote by 83lespaulstudio
the Steinberger bass is a decent bass. most people buying them do so for the collectability.
it's unique features were very neat, at the time. but it's sound is also unique, and not very popular. it's graphite body material produces a very plastic sound. there are a few bands still using them, like Devo. i've played them, and they were alright, but the sound is different. very mid-range, with weak lows, and even weaker highs. they're cool but not as a main player. imo.

+1
My bass teacher uses one, and he gets a really good tone out of his, plus it plays really nicely, he has his set for a low action. It sustains way better than you'd imagine, thanks to neck-thru construction. Portability is a plus too
Ibanez SR505
Ashdown ABM 300 EVO II
Epifani UL410