I have an Ibanez Gax30 such as this one

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-GAX30-Electric-Guitar?sku=519725

I was thinking about making it into a hollowbody. I may build a new body from ??? or possibly routing out the current body and getting a top made of ??? any suggestions? Anyone got pros and cons of either. Ive never played anything other than a basswood guitar so Im not sure what woods sound good. Ill probably go to guitarcenter in a few days to play a few guitars to find out what woods sound nice but suggestions would be appreciated.

I want a vintage tone so I was goint to possibly put a gfs little 59 in the bridge and a hum sized p-90 (maybe a real p-90 if I build my own body) in the neck. I dont know if gfs pups are any good though or if Im wasting my money.

Also I would definately upgrade the wiring to probably an Sg style. Are gfs pots good or who else should I look at.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
how is there an SG wiring style? whats different about it.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Squier Classic Vibe Tele
Fulltone Clyde Wah
Fulltone OCD
Fulltone Deja Vibe
Fuzz Factory
Carbon Copy

Boutique Marshall-Style 50watt amp head
Orange 2x12
In order to do a semi-hollowbody, you'd have to add large chambers and then put some sort of top back on it. In order to add a through-body TOM, you'd either have to recess the tailpiece or add a neck angle and drill holes through the body and add ferrules.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
Quote by HyperBoy2519
how is there an SG wiring style? whats different about it.

the wiring on the guitar now is 1tone, 1volume, and a 3 way fender style pup selestor. I want 2 vol, 2 tone, a 3way gibson style pup selector (near the knobs not the neck like on an LP) and the cable coming out the front like an SG, hence SG style.
ahhh ok i was thinking something different thanks for clearing that up
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Squier Classic Vibe Tele
Fulltone Clyde Wah
Fulltone OCD
Fulltone Deja Vibe
Fuzz Factory
Carbon Copy

Boutique Marshall-Style 50watt amp head
Orange 2x12
Quote by tubab0y
In order to do a semi-hollowbody, you'd have to add large chambers and then put some sort of top back on it. In order to add a through-body TOM, you'd either have to recess the tailpiece or add a neck angle and drill holes through the body and add ferrules.

Yeah I was planning on recessing the TOM but my real question is should I do that with a bass wood body or would just getting a piece of different wood and starting from scratch be better. Also the bevels on the edge wil prevent me from hollowing the body as much as I would like. any suggestions.

Also a lot of work would not bother me but a high price tag would.
I just did some calculations and I came up with $134.75 for all the electronics and hardware... but that would mean I would have my origional pickups, bridge, tuners electronics which should help me make some of that up. also Im pretty sure Im just gonna build the new body from scratch and sell the one I have now. I figure if Im gonna spend a whole lot of money I might as well do it right.
You could do it with the basswood, but if you hollowed it you'd need a new piece of wood for the top regardless.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
Quote by tubab0y
You could do it with the basswood, but if you hollowed it you'd need a new piece of wood for the top regardless.

yeah but would another piece of wood make it sound better. I know I would be able to have a bigger hollowed out cavity with a new body.
Quote by OLP1
You'd run into problems in that you'd have to put on a top yet your neck is still the old height and would need to be raised

no I wont need to raise the neck seeing I am going to build my own body from scratch (I just decided) and I will plan ahead to have the neck at a decent height.
Could someone please give me some advice as to what wood I should use seeing I decided to buid my own body from scratch. The place Im looking in has

ash
bloodwood
cherry
bazillian cherry
mahogany
maple
curly maple
oak
paduak
poplar

Im not too concerned with the look (because it will probablt be a solid color) or the weight (hollowbody) but I want the best tone possible. Also if there is a great wood not on tere I can look in other places.

thanks
Poplar is an easy enough wood to work with, sounds good, and is fairly inexpensive. I'd go fo that.
Quote by corduroyEW

I am Michael!
No expirience with those particular pickups, but hte pots arn't bad. As for a wood, both of those are quite heavy and hard, which means they're dense. Seeing as if you make a hollowbody you'll be routing out large chambers, it would alot harder then using a wood like poplar. Be prepared for broken router bits if you use those.
I would use Ash, because I love the Tele Thinline's sound and that's ash, but its all personal preference.
Is going to be flat top or arch?
flat... Im not confident in my skill to make it an arch. Im supposed to be going to GC soon so Ill check out the thinline tele. What guitars should I check out for poplar and possibly mahaogany(or is that a really hard wood aswell)?
For your first build I wouldn't do padauk or bloodwood or ash- the first two are hard and the third needs tons of grainfilling. Cherry's a great wood, and easy to work with. I might recommend maple, too.
Quote by corduroyEW

I am Michael!
Poplar only needs a little, and maple only needs sealer.
Quote by corduroyEW

I am Michael!
i think you should start the guitar from scratch. cause if you mess this up, ur stuck. i think you should keep this guitar and then buy another hollowbody (add new pickups etc), it will probabily be cheaper.

you may want to build a guitar so i'd recomend a kit first if so, i'm pretty sure you can buy a hollowbody kit from somewhere.
yoyoyuyo

Guitars.........................Amp.................Pedals (getting new)
Ibanez S470................Laney VC15.....Boss DS-1 (it's bad)
PRS SE Soapbar II
Ibanez aw15 acoustic
But the thing is that I love the neck on this guitar... Its so comfortable but its also the only thing I really like about the guitar.

Also this build has been put on the back burner because the money I planned to put inot it will probably go into getting my motorcycle liscence.
Also how would my pickups measure up bridge - gfs little 59 neck - gfs p-90 for playing some bluesy stuff aswell as some hard rock like ac/dc and stuff like that or should I go with some different pickups to get that tone.