My friends and I are thinking about starting an acoustic band. We would have a djembe, acoustic bass, acoustic guitar, and tenor sax. My question is, would the sax overpower the rest of the instruments? No mics would be used.

Edit: What other instrument could take the place of a sax? My friend can play ocarina as well as sax, and he's also pretty fast at learning stuff.
Peace.
Last edited by crazygluedmybut at Sep 2, 2007,
Yes.
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

Yeah, write to my fanclub about it, honey.
probably not if you sit in a good order.
I felt like a monster reincarnation of Horatio Alger......a man on the move and just sick enough to be totally confident.

Quote by Hexagram
Oh and Zeke, i find you to be over-rated
Is there not mutes you can get for brass instruments like the sax to dampen the sound and make it work?
Replace sax with tuba.
derp
lol u have faggot in ur username

Quote by Jack Off Jill
You know, if you, Silent Deftone and I get together.. We'd be unstoppable at the night clubs.

Everything I say is to be taken as serious fucking business.
Quote by bequickorbedead
Is there not mutes you can get for brass instruments like the sax to dampen the sound and make it work?

Yeah, but it also makes them sound very different.

All brass instruments are very loud im afraid.
They are traditionally used for fan fares, which are meant to be loud.

Ocarina would be a cool, very different.
The way to a girls heart is through her ribcage
That would be a really sweet combination. I do think that the sax will be overpowering, though. You could always get an electro-acoustic and hook it up to an amp.

EDIT: And do the same for the acoustic bass. I don't even know what a djembe is.
It's difficult to win unless you're bored.
well, first off a sax is not a brass instrument, it's a woodwind, secondly what kind of sax?? alto, saprano, tenor, baritone? It shouldn't overpower the other instruments if the guy is a good player and you guys write good songs. it should actually compliment the bass pretty well. just make sure the saxophone player isn't playing as loud as he can, have him play a little softer than normal and you should be fine.
Quote by Eminored
Hentai. It's a completely different world that will rip your eye-sockets and and skull-screw you with its tentacles.
He could just play softer.... I play sax and I can play acoustic guitar louder than I can play sax if I need to; it's not that hard.

And yeah, you could buy a mute or stick socks in the end or whatever, I've done that before too, works well.

Dragonforce? I don't even know what that is. Isn't it that Japanese card game "Dragon Force Z"?
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

Yeah, write to my fanclub about it, honey.
Quote by fallingforever
well, first off a sax is not a brass instrument, it's a woodwind, secondly what kind of sax?? alto, saprano, tenor, baritone? It shouldn't overpower the other instruments if the guy is a good player and you guys write good songs. it should actually compliment the bass pretty well. just make sure the saxophone player isn't playing as loud as he can, have him play a little softer than normal and you should be fine.

He's right, you know.
About the woodwind thing, I mean. I didn't know that for the longest time.
derp

Quote by Jack Off Jill
You know, if you, Silent Deftone and I get together.. We'd be unstoppable at the night clubs.

Quote by fallingforever
well, first off a sax is not a brass instrument, it's a woodwind, secondly what kind of sax?? alto, saprano, tenor, baritone?

What?
No its brass!!
Hence why it is made of brass, and is in the brass brands.
And in jazz bands.
and blues bands.
Woodwind
are made of wood.
The way to a girls heart is through her ribcage
No, it's a woodwind instrument. This is coming from someone who actually plays the saxophone.
derp

Quote by Jack Off Jill

Quote by skwiddy
What?
No its brass!!
And in jazz bands.
and blues bands.
Woodwind
are made of wood.

no it is a wood wind. woodwinds are comprised of all REED instrumetns. to play a saxophone you need a reed. a brass intrument requires no reed. what the instrument is made of means almost nothing. some brass instruments can be made of copper. if the saophone isn't a woodwind then neither would a flute or piccolo because they're not made of wood.
Quote by Eminored
Hentai. It's a completely different world that will rip your eye-sockets and and skull-screw you with its tentacles.
Quote by skwiddy
What?
No its brass!!
And in jazz bands.
and blues bands.
Woodwind
are made of wood.

so flutes are brass then?

unless you were being sarcastic, then my bad haha
Quote by TechnicolorBoy
I don't even know what a djembe is.

African drum, I think.

I like the ocirena idea, very melodic and not loud enough to drown out the bass and guitar.

You should worry about the acoustobass though, its going to be VEERRY quiet unless your bassist rapes the strings or hooks it up to a porta-amp.
i love the way an acoustic bass sounds. my buddy has a fret-less one and it sounds awesome. he doesn't have to kill the strings to get a nice loud sound either. personally, if i was to make an acoustic band, which i'm working on, i would use a concert bass. sounds really cool and u get a really nice tone out of it.
Quote by Eminored
Quote by crazygluedmybut
My friends and I are thinking about starting an acoustic band. We would have a djembe, acoustic bass, acoustic guitar, and tenor sax. My question is, would the sax overpower the rest of the instruments? No mics would be used.

Edit: What other instrument could take the place of a sax? My friend can play ocarina as well as sax, and he's also pretty fast at learning stuff.
A djembe? You're gonna use a 7 foot tall African basketball player as an instrument?

EDIT: oops I was thinking of Dikembe, my bad.
Last edited by Castlebravo at Sep 2, 2007,
Quote by garrett5
Ocarana Would be cool, I would then want to hear legend of Zelda based tunes.

+1
Quote by LPDave
and my mom then told me to masturbate more.

Quote by Toastbot

Big burly men grunting without shirts on pretty much summed up my childhood.

Quote by The Leader
Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do more look like?