hey i was just wondering to make songs and make solos which would you say is the best, inspiration on creating a song or theory when making songs or a micsture of both?
Theory alone won't spit out a guitar solo for you

but it certainly could help at getting your ideas into tangible form when inspiration strikes
*Head shaking smiley*

Theory and inspiration are not comparable. Using the knowledge of music to your advantage doesn't monopolize your creativity and shut out all 'emotion' and 'heart.' I don't care how inspired your are, you cannot write music without at least a basic knowledge of theory, and/or a lot of luck.
Quote by Godzilla1969
I love you, Muphin. You have great taste in music.

Quote by Pacifica112J
Muphin > You

The Cooperation
I've been thinking about this. First you need to define "inspiration". Although it's basically the act of inspiring (Taking air), Inspiration is also to get yourself enthralled by something so that it'll prompt you to make new stuff. You can take something like a sunset, a woman, a piece of garbage and make it your inspiration, whether it's rational or not.Then, if you keep this logic you don't need more than drugs (they always give you an alteration of perception that allows you to experience new things). And that's far from truth in music. Since it's already a lot been done, I try to learn or to find new limits in my theorical knowledge, and give that some work. This of course, is not enough, but it's gonna help a lot for the time when you get inspiration and just don't know what else to do next that sounds exciting. (I'm just repeating what seljer said but it's the truth)
Genius is 2% inspiration and 98% persperation

Which is why I smell really bad sometimes
Play the man, Master Ridley; we shall this day light such a candle, by God's grace, in England, as I trust shall never be put out.
Quote by kyrreca
writing a novel:
having a story to tell, or knowing how to write?

Well put
Quote by atomkat
I can't fxcking descripe in words how much I love you!!!!!!!
Quote by MrJayremmie
marry me.
Stratocaster fan...
Quote by Tsunoyukami
Did you make that up, or did someone else say that, because that it genius.

Genius is 2% inspiration and 98% persperation

Which is why I smell really bad sometimes
Play the man, Master Ridley; we shall this day light such a candle, by God's grace, in England, as I trust shall never be put out.
Quote by Tsunoyukami
Did you make that up, or did someone else say that, because that it genius.

I guess I made it up, but I'm sure someone has made a similar analogy before.
in my opinion inspiration tells you what you want to hear, and theory tells you how to play it.
Quote by kyrreca
I guess I made it up, but I'm sure someone has made a similar analogy before.

I was just about to say that. Its like trying to wrtite a book with out knowing how to write words and how to make sentences. First we start by learning the words and then we learn to make sentences. Its the same with music you need the ideas to create.
radiantmoon is the toughest person I know. He inflects a sense of impending doom upon any who look upon his stone-chiseled face. The children run out of fear, while the men run for they know that the stories are true.