Page 1 of 2
They are extremely overpriced, but they are still a good playing guitar. I spent $1200 on my strat which a guitar fundementally equal from Gibson would have been $2k+
they are very overpriced.
They use top quality materials, but you can get equally, often better, from lesser known companies, at cheaper prices.
Most certainly payin for the name "Gibson" "Les Paul" and "USA"
none of them mean a thing
Its all in the guitar.
The way to a girls heart is through her ribcage
Id say yea, xcept they are all American-made. If Gibson could move some of thier production plants overseas, it would signifigantly drop prices. But thats what Epi is for (not rly tho).
Yes, because it's made in America. Some brands from other countries that I personally make better guitars but are cheaper because they're foreign (Ibanez, Hagstrom, etc.).
Always look for used ones. I can't see me buying a new LP out of a shop unless it was a present (doubt it ever). Buy they're pretty reasonable used, and you can find some killer deals on Ebay.
Guitars:
Epiphone Elitist Les Paul Custom WCR and Dimarzio equipped
Amp:
Marshall 2266 Vintage Modern
Marshall 1960TV
Effects:
Dunlop Crybaby From Hell
Any USA-made guitars are overpriced tbh. The same guitar could be made in any other country and exactly the same as if it was made in the USA. All you're paying for is basically higher American wages and a box full of American air
ohai little sig.
Enourmosuly. They sound great for a specific kind of playing. That's it. And they're a handicap for everything else, one of the least versatile guitars available.
And its not totally true that Gibson uses really high quality materials. Maybe on their high end stuff, but anything from their lower lines is probably being made out of any old piece of wood they get without hand selecting pieces for proper tonal and strength properties. But for the price of the decent higher end stuff, you can probably get a significantly better axe from a company that cares more about quality than quantity.
if a LP standard was like 1K...then we can talk. but thats outrageous. i can get the Studio which is just as good IMO for a lot less...and even that is over.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Squier Classic Vibe Tele
Fulltone Clyde Wah
Fulltone OCD
Fulltone Deja Vibe
Fuzz Factory
Carbon Copy

Boutique Marshall-Style 50watt amp head
Orange 2x12
Gibsons are worth the price if you're selling out arenas and stadiums all over the world and selling millions of copies of your latest album.

Anything less than that though, and you don't need it.

This coming from someone who's only been playing a year and already has bought two top-end Gibsons on top of other guitars. It's hypocritical, I know.
Last edited by bokuho at Sep 2, 2007,
just go with an epiphone and put a gibson sticker on the headstock...no one will know the distance
kill 'em a lot
Quote by bokuho
It's hypercritical, I know.

Quote by i_eat_souls
.no one will know the distance

haha, two in a row. Sorry for posting this, but it made me smile.
Look!

Learn how to spell, grammar is your friend

Member #11 of the Les Paul owners club, pm Waterboy799 to join.

Blues player of the Laney Cult
Most Gibsons are incredibly heavy and play like crap. If you can find one that plays and looks great, then they still aren't worth the money you have to shell out for them. They just cost waay too much.

I'm about to get flamed.
Gibson's are made in america, thats the main reason since the U.S. has people's rights unlike foreign countries. Its like buying a suit, you can get a made in france jacket and it will cost way more then the same thing made in china. If its made in the U.S. its gonna cost more.
You may have a 10 x 10 stack of marshalls and i may only have one, but mine goes to 11.... Beat that
I'm sure Gibson under labor laws could get away with paying their workers minimum wage, and have them work 10 hour days 6 days a week. Their marketing and accounting departments would then probably take raises and drive the price of the guitars up even more
Well MIA Strats are made in America (duh!) and they're not even nearly as expensive as Gibsons. You pay extra for the made in america part, but they're still much more bang for the bug.
Quote by Garci
haha, two in a row. Sorry for posting this, but it made me smile.
And the dumb thing is, I spellcheck every post I make. Sigh.

As far as the reasons why Gibsons cost more, there's no real reason for it, other than they know someone will shell out full price, so hey, why not charge that much for it if someone's going to pay it?

I dunno American prices, but here in the UK, it costs a store about £600 to get in a Gibson LP they'll sell for £1900. That's £1300 (about $2600) profit for the store itself. Then take into account the fact that that £600 trade price is coming from a dealer, who'll be making some profit from that too. And they got it from Gibson, who made a profit selling to the dealer. So Gibson must be able to make each guitar - including wages for everyone involved in it's creation - on less than about £300, most likely. Give or take £50.

And for anyone who's clueless, that's about the store price of an Epi LP right there. Don't even get me started on how cheap it is to make those (hint: stores can buy them in for about £80, sell them for £300 or so. At the same scale as the Gibson, it must cost Epi less than £30 to make each guitar. It's insane really).

So, really, it's just places know they can put on a huge markup and make a big profit, they know some poor sap will come along and pay it, so why not charge that much?

Oh yeah, and then there's Les Paul's royalty fee bumping the price up...
Quote by Onkel Cannabia
bang for the bug.

garci heres another one
Quote by Gibson_Rocker13
you are my new hero cause i do the exact same thing but i suck at it

#8 of the EHX USERS GUILD
Quote by SublimeGuitar
Orange Rocker 30. Best Marshall ever

epi firefly dsp 30, epi sg, big muff
olp five string, peavy max 158
Gibsons are great guitars, I love my SG, but there's no doubt they are overpriced (for any country of origin) when it comes to materials, quality, and sound. Its my only Gibson though, I'm a Fender person myself because prices are lower and you get a lot of bang for your buck as well.
NO

Back when they first came out in the 50s, a Gibson Les Paul cost I believe about 260 dollars. Back then it could take the average person months to save up for one. Today, with the inflation of income they actually cost less compared to the overall earnings. Most people can afford them within less than a month.

The only reason people at UG complain is because a majority of them are whiny 13 year olds without jobs, or on minimum wage - try buying a 260 dollar guitar when you are making 25 cents an hour.
They're only overpriced if you can't afford them. Trying to compare a Les Paul Standard to a Deluxe MIA Strat is simply a flawed comparison.
Gibson sells more guitars when they price the guitars higher. It has to do with the "Luxury" of owning a Gibson.

Do the right thing and buy a Carvin instead .
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Quote by TimmyPage06
NOThe only reason people at UG complain is because a majority of them are whiny 13 year olds without jobs, or on minimum wage - try buying a 260 dollar guitar when you are making 25 cents an hour.

I've played some piss poor Gibsons, more so than Fender or Ibanez, and at those prices you are paying for the name.

Gibson sucks.
Ive played epiphones, then immediatley tried out a real les paul, and frankly, theres a huge difference in output and tone. Les pauls are too bleeping expensive for my tastes though and frankly im a fender fanboy... I would love that ltd silver sunburst gls though, that thing is sexy and it plays amazing.
1966 rickenbacker fireglo 335
78' twin reverb (loud awesome tone)

practice makes practice... never perfect
Quote by FacingUsAll
Gibson sells more guitars when they price the guitars higher. It has to do with the "Luxury" of owning a Gibson.

Do the right thing and buy a Carvin instead .

now that's what i like to hear baby
Quote by TimmyPage06
NO

Back when they first came out in the 50s, a Gibson Les Paul cost I believe about 260 dollars. Back then it could take the average person months to save up for one. Today, with the inflation of income they actually cost less compared to the overall earnings. Most people can afford them within less than a month.

The only reason people at UG complain is because a majority of them are whiny 13 year olds without jobs, or on minimum wage - try buying a 260 dollar guitar when you are making 25 cents an hour.

Haha, right... I own a PRS Custom 22 worth around $3000, my father has a Gibson LP Standard and my brother has a Gibson LP Custom. The PRS has better playability, splittable pickups, locking tuners, excellent trem system that never goes out of tune and has great sustain, the Dragon II pickups brim with personality and characteristic sound that depending on your amp settings can sound like Knopfler, Vai, Petrucci, Santana, Gilmour or whomever. And it weighs much less than a LP and has much better fret access.

The LP is a very expensive piece of mahogany with strings, pretty much. No versatility or playability to talk about. Gibson need to get their ass out of the 50's and evolve to meet the standards of todays players.
Quote by TimmyPage06
NO

We're talking about the relation between the price and the quality of a gibson. You're talking about the price irrespective of the quality. You do notice a difference do you?
Definitely. You simply are paying partially for the brand name to be stamped on the guitar. Are Gibson's good? Yes, in general. But yes, they are overpriced.
Main Gear:
Cort G-Series 254
Takamine EG345C 12-String
Fender Squier P-Bass

Peavey Classic 50
Laney HCM65B

$75 Junk Drums w/ B8 Hats/Crash/Ride
Quote by bokuho

This coming from someone who's only been playing a year and already has bought two top-end Gibsons on top of other guitars. It's hypocritical, I know.

i was about to post some empty threat but seeing as at least you'll admit you have more money then sense then i guess that's fine. but i still think you should give at least 1 guitar to sum1 who deserves it.

Quote by Aziraphale

The LP is a very expensive piece of mahogany with strings, pretty much. No versatility or playability to talk about. Gibson need to get their ass out of the 50's and evolve to meet the standards of todays players.

MY GOD THE MAN IS RIGHT!!! Yeah i mean why do NONE of their guitars have floyd roses in 'em or even any sort of trem whatsoever, unless you go for a £3000 LP black beauty with a bigsby. Damn I could probably build a better guitar then gibson for like £500! Well actually i doubt that, but i'm sure a lot of ppl in the GB&C forum could!

However i must say i disagree with a lot of people's comments which seemed to suggest that guitars shouldn't be made in the USA. Well i think what you have to remember is the reason eastern made guitars are so cheap is because a lot of factories make their workers work 14 hours a day for maybe a couple of dollars if they are lucky. Personally i wouldn't mind having half the stuff i do now as long as long as it ment that the people who made my stuff got a fair deal.
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
Last edited by eddiehimself at Sep 3, 2007,
Quote by Onkel Cannabia
Well MIA Strats are made in America (duh!) and they're not even nearly as expensive as Gibsons. You pay extra for the made in america part, but they're still much more bang for the bug.

You cant compare a gibson les paul with a fender MIA strat in terms of price.The reason is because a fender is not as expensive to make as a les paul.The fender doesnt have the set neck,the binding and carved top.I own a 2007 gibson les paul standard and the quality is top notch.I think is worth it.They are better than many guitars and many people putting them down are 12-13 year olds who want one.Fenders are great guitars and very versatile and a les paul is not better but different.But the reason for the price differences is that all the stuff I mentioned takes more work to do.Its not like they have to screw the neck in(not saying thats bad,just its not as hard to do).Everyone has an opinion,I personally think they are the best guitar ever.Some dont,but its ok and if its out of your price range buy something cheaper or save up but dont put them down just because you dont have one.Gibson rocks

Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Schecter C1 Classic
Ovation CS257
Drive Stratocaster copy

Traynor YCV80 all Tube
Pignose G40V Tube Amp

Ibanez TS9
Digitech GNX2
Line6 POD
Fostex MR8HD multitrack recorder
Quote by eddiehimself
MY GOD THE MAN IS RIGHT!!! Yeah i mean why do NONE of their guitars have floyd roses in 'em or even any sort of trem whatsoever, unless you go for a £3000 LP black beauty with a bigsby. Damn I could probably build a better guitar then gibson for like £500! Well actually i doubt that, but i'm sure a lot of ppl in the GB&C forum could!
Actually, you can get Bigsy's on lots of different Gibsons. And in the past they've made a number of limited editions that feature Floyd Rose tremolos (now that task has moved on to Epiphone, who make a limited number of Studios and Standards with Floyd Rose trems), and a while back Floyd Rose made a special trem that could be put onto any LP, just replacing the standard tune-o-matic bridge, all it needed was a tiny neck tweak and you are good to go.
Page 1 of 2