I'm trying to get 6 GB .rar file from my mac HD to my external hd. Can someon help me get the file split to 3 GB pieces or recommend software to do this. I have Stuffit Deluxe v. 11 but am not positive how to use it.
Quote by doggy_hat
This chick that looked like shrek ****ed me while I was passed out on xanax. I screamed when I woke up.
Why do you need to split it?
Play the man, Master Ridley; we shall this day light such a candle, by God's grace, in England, as I trust shall never be put out.
can't the WinRAR itself rar a file into multiple parts?

is there even a gui version of winrar for mac?

if not you should be able to rerar it up like with the command line version

Quote by yurfinlfntsy
Why do you need to split it?

yeah, just get a less bass-ackwards filesystem (i.e. one that supports large files) on the external drive
i think theirs a program called File Splitter.

but yeah, Win Rar can split a 6gb file into two 3GB RAR files

however, to open it, you need to unzip the two.
Quote by --ARES--
win rar does that, but why would you want to?

I assume if you were using the external drive between multiple computers and OSes you'd probably be using a filesystem that works universally, like FAT

and.... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FAT32
Max file size: 4 GB

I believe OS X's filesystem, the linux filesystems (ext3, reiserfs) and NTFS don't have such issues (the limit is so high that it doesn't matter)
Last edited by seljer at Sep 2, 2007,
My external hd is formatted to FAT32 which only allows me to transfer file sizes less then 4 gigs. Isn't Win Rar for windows. And is there a way to rejoin it once I put it on the hardrive.
Quote by doggy_hat
This chick that looked like shrek ****ed me while I was passed out on xanax. I screamed when I woke up.
Quote by BleedDeathMetal
My external hd is formatted to FAT32 which only allows me to transfer file sizes less then 4 gigs. Isn't Win Rar for windows. And is there a way to rejoin it once I put it on the hardrive.

That explains it.

Yes WinRAR is for windows.

Why, do you have a Mac?
Play the man, Master Ridley; we shall this day light such a candle, by God's grace, in England, as I trust shall never be put out.
ARES- I can only transfer files less then 4 gigs. The file is 6 gigs.
Yurfinlyfntsy- sorry i do have a mac. I guess I didnt make that clear enough in my original post.
Quote by doggy_hat
Do yourself a favour and format the drive with ext3 or reiserfs. FAT is ancient.
Quote by Godzilla1969
I love you, Muphin. You have great taste in music.

Quote by Pacifica112J
Muphin > You

The Cooperation
Quote by kn4ck3r
Tried 7-zip?

?what is this?
Quote by doggy_hat
Quote by BleedDeathMetal
?what is this?

It's like Winrar...it unzips attachments.

BTW...WinRAR unzips 7-zip files too.
It's an archiver, like winrar just open (and gratis).
Select your files and create an archive with 7-zip and choose split to volumes... something.
Quote by yurfinlfntsy
It's like Winrar...it unzips attachments.

BTW...WinRAR unzips 7-zip files too.

For mac?
Quote by doggy_hat
And how would i go about rejoining them?

Edit: O noes..the version for mac didn't seem to work. Anyway to do it on Stuffit?
Quote by doggy_hat
Last edited by BleedDeathMetal at Sep 2, 2007,
If you use 7-zip (or winrar) you create a new archive of your 6G sized file. With 7-zip you choose "compression level"=store and put in something like 3G in "Split to volumes, bytes:"
Click OK and you should have created a new archive split in several 3G files.
When you "rejoin" you just extract the archive (you just created) and you have your original large file. (the procedure is similar with winrar i think)

btw. a quick google search turned up JAxe. That seems to be just what you are looking for...